Pc cable and Rechargable Batteries

mommy#1

I just bought a GPS Magellan 315 and have gone geocaching, not only to find out that my batteries that I buy in the package run down really quick.

What is the best rechargable Battery set to get for my GPS?

What is the best PC cable/cig lighter cable to get for my GPS?

Where is the best place to buy these items?

Thanks Mommy#1 icon_confused.gif

I also have a 315 and you're right it does eat batteries like a starving pig. I find that I usually go through a set in about 4 or 5 hours of continual use. Lithium batteries seem to last a little longer, but then they are also more expensive. As a starving college student I cut my battery costs by buying a couple sets of rechargable NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries and a charger. I don't really see a difference in the amount of time they last compared to regular Alkaline batteries. Since they are rechargable, once the initial cost is out of the way you don't have to worry about the continual cost of batteries. I bought 4 pairs (two sets for the field, two in the charger) and a recharger for about $40 and I know I've saved more than that by using them.

To get the best price I'd recommend looking around at different 'discount' stores (Kmart, Walmart, Target, etc). I found a better price at one place for the charger but the batteries were expensive. At another the charger was almost $10 more, but the batteries were cheaper. Go figure. Anyway I don't think it's worth it to buy online if you have a good selection of stores locally.

As far as your question about PC cables, I can't really help. The only one I have is the one that came with my GPS and it's only a PC<->GPS type, not cigarette lighter type.

Hope that helps,

Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

We too have the Mag 315. We use NiMH rechargeable batteries almost exclusively in it and are very happy with how long they last as compared to using

regular ("top of the line") alkaline batteries. We do have two chargers now, but for a couple of years only had one. The original is a Quest brand charger that we purchased at Walmart for less than $16; it came complete with four 1300 mAh batteries. For about $11. we bought an additional four of the same batteries. Four batteries now go into the digital camera (and last MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than other batteries), two into the gpsr and two either in the charger or charged and with us as backups. (Our newer charger has more powerful NiMH batteries, Panasonic brand I think, and was purchased at Costco.)

Note that when you put rechargeable batteries into the unit, the battery meter is not accurate like it would be with disposable batteries. (Until I found that out, even though I knew the batteries were lasting quite a long time, I kept thinking they must be defective and weren't fully charging.)

While in the car we use the Magellan "External Power Cable with Cigarette Lighter Adapter". We had looked on line and at different places trying to purchase one, but fortunately found it while on a trip at a Sportmart store for $14.99 -- less than 1/2 the cost of other stores! It works GREAT and saves our batteries for caching. (When we bought the Mag 315 at Frys it came with the cord to hook it up to the computer so we wanted to get the separate cigarette lighter cord.)

You'll be very happy with the results of either/or the rechargeable batteries or the external power cord. Have fun caching...! (But watch out -- it is addicting...!

bvgps

Welcome to the addiction #1. Sounds like your family is already hooked. When looking for the rechargables, if you go with NiMah's, check the back of the package for the highest rating, should be 1600. Some have a lower rating, even though they are the same brand and similar packaging.

Well I am mainly looking for a PC Cable because I need to download some stuff off the computer for that free download and get some data on to my GPS because it didn't come with the measuring in the feet instead of keeping in miles.

Mommy#1

quote:
Originally posted by bvgps:

We too have the Mag 315. We use NiMH rechargeable batteries almost exclusively in it and are very happy with how long they last as compared to using

regular ("top of the line") alkaline batteries. We do have two chargers now, but for a couple of years only had one. The original is a Quest brand charger that we purchased at Walmart for less than $16; it came complete with four 1300 mAh batteries. For about $11. we bought an additional four of the same batteries. Four batteries now go into the digital camera (and last MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than other batteries), two into the gpsr and two either in the charger or charged and with us as backups. (Our newer charger has more powerful NiMH batteries, Panasonic brand I think, and was purchased at Costco.)

Note that when you put rechargeable batteries into the unit, the battery meter is not accurate like it would be with disposable batteries. (Until I found that out, even though I knew the batteries were lasting quite a long time, I kept thinking they must be defective and weren't fully charging.)

While in the car we use the Magellan "External Power Cable with Cigarette Lighter Adapter". We had looked on line and at different places trying to purchase one, but fortunately found it while on a trip at a Sportmart store for $14.99 -- less than 1/2 the cost of other stores! It works GREAT and saves our batteries for caching. (When we bought the Mag 315 at Frys it came with the cord to hook it up to the computer so we wanted to get the separate cigarette lighter cord.)

You'll be very happy with the results of either/or the rechargeable batteries or the external power cord. Have fun caching...! (But watch out -- it is addicting...!

bvgps

While on any hunts before you get your upgrades, just remember that .01mi is aprox. 52 feet. When your unit says your about .02-.03mi from the cache, look in that direction and guestimate the 100-150' distance. Pick a tree at this spot and walk to it. Cache should be in the general area.

Hello there Dad,

I just got through ordering the batteries and the kit. I got 2 extra sets of batteries. Then the 4 that came with the kit. The total cost was $64.88 with S&H. So, I have a total of 12 batteries that should last me for a lifetime.

Mommy#1

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Hey Mommy#1,

this is your DADDY!!!!

(See the post just above yours!)

Glad to see you in the discussions...

Geocaching is SPREADING like wildfire (imo)

http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe/

majicman