Free Speech

For a country that prides itself on free speech, we seem to be experiencing a degree of unjustified censorship on these forums at the moment.

Please do not use this thread to discuss anything in respect of the banned subject, but we will discuss the concept of free speech and just why a community is being censored in this manner and just who runs what to who's benefit around here.

Of course, I'm fully expecting this thread to be immediately locked, which will of course be very telling in itself.

Just to re-iterate : no discussion of banned subjects.

I am not going to mention the T word – the points have been well made. But I am now seriously concerned with how topics that do not mention certain caches, but simply talk about the censorship are being closed. As I said before, I am very disappointed with the policy that has been adopted and am considering my continued premium membership, and even my continued participation in the hobby. I am undecided, but the aggressive censorship is making it harder to say no to the proposition. If how this place is moderated is off topic there is no hope for it.

I guess I missed where this was a geocaching.gov, instead of geocaching.com. You have no "right" to say whatever you want on a private website, just like I have no "right" to say whatever I want in your home.

The concept of free speech is not really anything to do with any elected government. yes, they may uphold that as a mainstay of that country, in much the same way that we introduced the concept of habeus corpus. The concept of free speech is however a human right so long as it does not by it's action violate anyone else's rights. And as for my home, I would not presume to censor you or anyone else in my home no matter what the subject. I may disagree with you but I would still consider it your right to say. Free speech is a state of mind and attitude, not legislation.

Finally, this is a community and these are discussion forums which some people pay to support. It is right in a society that practises free speech for subjects to be discussed no matter how unpalateable the subject may be.

The actions of certain people today will I am sure have long lasting repurcussions.