Batteries???

Papa Bill

I can usually get alot of hour time outta these-Rayovac Maximum Plus (silver and black). I also noticed that Kodak has a "starter" kit battery charger for rechargeables in the photo development section (not their electronics/camera department) on top of one of the display racks there for twenty bucks. Includes charger for four AA's(?), camera case, and a small tripod for Kodak digital cams. Can you find a charger for less than $20.00? Radio shack maybe.

If you like electronic toys, rechargable batteries are the only way to go. Your eTrex is a perfect candidate, as the batteries are very easy to access and change. It takes about 30 seconds. Personally I use the Rayovac 15 minute charger and batteries most of the time for my GPS units. Even though the batteries are a couple years old, and been quite abused, they still last all day in my Vista C on a quick charge. From what I've seen so far, the quick charge shortens the life a little over what you'd get from batteries charged at a rate of 1 hour or slower, but I've found you still can get 200 to 300 cycles, which given the convenience is enough for me, especially when you consider they cost less than $5 a pair.

Do they work any better than regular AA batteries?  I work at a place where I can get some at a little more than normal price for good AA's and was wondering if it was worth it.

check out these batteries - they are super!

I have purched many and just ordered some more -

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...TS&Category=285

cc

that's the same place I linked earlier in this thread

I now have 8 pairs of the 2500s, and tons of older 1800s and 1600s that I have ordered thru them over the years for my digital SLR and remotes around the house and flashlights and everything else that takes batteries.

I am completely happy with the products from that place.

This last weekend, we vacachened all around Moab, Utah and San Rafael, and during three days of lots of driving (probably 800 miles), we only replaced those rechargables 3 times. I kept the GPS on the whole time we drove, as it was attached to my laptop, for tracking on NG Topo.

We use the 12v quick charger to always have some fresh batteries available.

We use the Rayovac 15 minute rechargables. They seem to work better than regular alkalines, and hold a long charge.

I have these, use them, and love them. However, the battery guage on my Legend doesn't work with them quite right. Regardless of whether I tell the Legend that I'm using alkaline or NiMh (and I think I tried some other settings as well), the guage goes low fairly quickly. However, after turning it off for awhile and turning it back on, the guage is all the way at the top. I've used these batteries for many hours on a trip or when caching, and am yet to run out of juice. But it would be nice to know just how much power I have left.

Anybody have any words of wisdom to share?

Want you all to know i've had a set of those e2 lithiums from Energizer in my MeriGold since Friday. Found 1 cache, and not one sliver of my power meter has been depleted. $5.something for a two pack (AA) at WallyWorld.

Other than rechargables, those babies can't be beat, IMO. Use 'em all the time until my rechargable unit and batts arrive any day now.

Edited by Team cotati697
Regular batteries are 1.5 volts and the rechargables are 1.1 volts and are just a little smaller the the reg. batteries. I also have the legend and used both kinds and think the regular batteries are much better, Just my opinion

Keith

Well to make a correction rechargables are 1.25 volts but more important they have a higher amprage then regular batteries so they will last LONGER. Most GPSr can be switched between regular alkaline batteries and rechargables either with a setting or do so automatically. But Rechargables will last LONGER. I use 2050 and 2300 mamphr batteries. If you have a S version with a compas then it will cause the batteries to drain faster.

But are rechargables worth it YES they are also more environmentaly friendly.

Yes I am a neotree hugger.

cheers

COST

If you use your GPS a lot (e.g., 10 hours or more of operation per week), using NiMH batteries is much more cost efficient than using alkalines. You could save several hundred dollars over a period of 4 years using the NiMH.

CAPACITY

The newer AA NiMH cells, with capacities of 2300 mah or more, have about the same capacity per charge as an alkaline cell.

DRAWBACKS

The biggest drawback of the NiMH is that they will lose charge when not in use, which means that if you charge the batteries and leave them in the GPS for a few weeks, you will only have about half the full capacity left. This is not a problem if you use your GPS often. NuMH batteries may NOT be a good idea for folks who do not like to think ahead. Always carry spare batteries.

VOLTAGE

Although new alkaline batteries have a voltage of 1.5 volts, in operation the battery voltage drops as the battery is discharged, and the battery goes dead at about 0.9 volts. Almost all devices designed to use alkaline batteries will operate effectively at voltages of about 1.0 to 1.5 volts per cell. If the device would not tolerate a voltage lower than 1.5 volts per cell, it could only use a tiny fraction of the capacity of an alkaline cell. NiMH batteries operate in the range of 1.3 to 1.1 volts, and therefore will power most devices designed for alkaline batteries.

BATTERY INDICATOR

Because NiMH cells have a flatter discharge curve than alkalines, a battery level indicator designed for alkaline cells will be misleading. It will indicate that a freshly charged NiMH cell is only 2/3 capacity and as the cell discharges the indicator will stay at about the half-way level for a very long time. The NiMH cells will go flat when the indicator gets to about 1/3.

CURRENT

NiMH batteries can deliver considerably more current (amps) than alkaline batteries, which make them MUCH more suitable for use in high drain devices such as digital cameras. But because of this high current capability, it is very inportant to carry and store the batteries so that they are not shorted. If an NiMH battery is shorted ... it will get very HOT. Maintain the plastic insulating cover on the batteries and repair as needed.

I also just noticed the Energizer 2500 mah rechargables in Walmart, 4 for $10. Two years ago we bought an Energizer charger and 8 rechargable 1850mah as we got started GXing. Those batteries have had continous use in 2 GPSrs and a digital camera, holding up okay. Just recently one pair began not taking much of a charge, I expect some of the others will begin to fail now too. I bought the 2500 for use in the digital camera (real battery hog compared with the GPSrs).

Can you charge the new 2500 mAh batteries in your old Energizer charger, or did you need to buy a new charger? I'd like to get some of the 2500 ones, but not if I have to buy another charger. We have some 2200mAh Energizers, and the recharger owner's manual says it's for 2200 mAh AA's or 800 mAh AAA's. (well, it calls itself an "owner's manual" -- it's a strip of paper barely larger than a fortune cookie.)

Generally, standard NiMH chargers (which charge AA cells in 4 to 20 hours) can be used with different brand and capacity AA batteries. You may need to adjust the charge time for the cell capacity, e.g. a slow charger that charges 1800 mah cells in 14 hours may need 20 hours to charge 2500 mah cells. Some NiMH batteries are sold with specific chargers that charge the batteries at very high charge rates, e.g., 15 to 30 minutes. I would not recommend using these chargers with cells that are not specifically rated for such a charger.

FWIW, CharlieP

Generally, standard NiMH chargers (which charge AA cells in 4 to 20 hours) can be used with different brand and capacity AA batteries. You may need to adjust the charge time for the cell capacity, e.g. a slow charger that charges 1800 mah cells in 14 hours may need 20 hours to charge 2500 mah cells. Some NiMH batteries are sold with specific chargers that charge the batteries at very high charge rates, e.g., 15 to 30 minutes. I would not recommend using these chargers with cells that are not specifically rated for such a charger.

FWIW, CharlieP

Thanks. This Energizer charger is a 15-minute one. So I guess I shouldn't try the 2500 mAh batteries in it.

Thanks. This Energizer charger is a 15-minute one. So I guess I shouldn't try the 2500 mAh batteries in it.

Some cells tend to get very hot at high charge rates. If the cell is not designed to handle this, bad things can happen. Look at the specs for the 2500 mah cells and see if they give a max recommended charge rate. I like the slow rate chargers ... they take longer but are much easier on the cells ... sometimes slower is better. I am using some NiMH cells now that are over 4 years old and still going strong.

BTW, if you have cells that seem to lose capacity after being used for a period of time only in a digital camera ... put them through a full discharge cycle or two and see if they perk up. A digital camera may only use the top 1/3 of the NiMH capacity and if the cells are not discharged more deeply they will lose capacity. A GPS unit will discharge the cells completely, so I rotate cells between the camera and GPS.

To add to this topic, Panasonic has a new cell call OXYRIDE - supposed to be better than any other type out there to date (some suspicion IMHO). At this point, Panasonic has not licenced anyone else to make them, and I am not sure if they are retail-released yet. Might be worth looking into, given our consumption rate.

I saw this in an article on digital cameras. The main point was they had a higher Amp/Hour rating than LiOns, so they could run more flashes and such... Sorry I don't have more detail.

Sort of off topic but I see that every cachers main goal is to get the most out of whatever battery you use. I have found out that my cig. lighter power adapter has given me that. I plug my GPSr into it as soon as I get into the van....no battery power being wasted. I unplug the power when I get to the location and use the GPSr to find the cache. I then power off the unit as soon as it zeroes out...again conserving power. I repeat the process when I get back to the van. I can make a set of batteries last weeks this way. I also have four rechargable Panasonic AA batteries and a DC/AC converter that I carry with the charger. That way I have one set in the GPSr and another set charging. I can change them out if the one set goes out...which has never happened.

Happy Caching

I, too, use a 12v cord while in the car. My ST Pro car mount has the cord attached to it, so that I can simply "click" the GPS into the mount and it automatically hooks up to the 12v. When I get to the parking place, "unclick" it from the mount and I'm on my way, now under battery power.

I just purchased 24 AA NiMH (2300mah) batteries from Batteryspace for only $30, and added a charger that works off both house current or 12vdc for another $12. I bought them mainly for my new digital camera (Minolta Dimage Z2, a real battery pig!), but will also use them in my GPS.

With 24 AA batteries, and the ability to charge both at home or on the road, I doubt I'll be buying batteries again for a long time! :(

Try this:

One male cigarette lighter plug and one female cigarette lighter jack.

Connect each to 18" of wire, matching polarity.

At the distal ends of the wires connect stab on (spade lug female connectors) so that the two positive wire ends go to one and the two negative ends go to the other.

Buy a 12v 10 AH UPS battery on ebay for about 10 dollars and connect your jacks to it and then drop the whole works into your goodies bag.

When you're in the car plug it in and the battery recharges. If you don't plug it in so what, the battery will last for days between charges, even if you never turn off the GPSr.

A old gas mask bag with a wide shoulder strap holds the battery, toys, a spare log, extra zip locks, and the GPSr and my external antenna too.

Can you charge the new 2500 mAh batteries in your old Energizer charger, or did you need to buy a new charger?  I'd like to get some of the 2500 ones, but not if I have to buy another charger.  We have some 2200mAh Energizers, and the recharger owner's manual says it's for 2200 mAh AA's or 800 mAh AAA's.  (well, it calls itself an "owner's manual" -- it's a strip of paper barely larger than a fortune cookie.)

I had the Energizer "Family" model Nimh charger (does everything from D cell to 9v). It is still in production (I've had mine a few years) and it works great with the 2500mah Nimh's. I have not run mine all the way down yet so I don't have any idea of how many hours they last. I get a few days of casual caching out of a pair before the battery indicator shows 1/2 full when I swap them out (it's a Meridian and does not have a Alkaline/Nimh switch setting in the setup). My GPSr only needs 2, so with the pack of 4 I have two ready to go all the time which makes swapping out before caching very easy.

Stupid question but...how you can fully discharge your batteries?

Using a flashlight to discharge batteries may damage the cells, because one cell will go flat first, and then the other cell will push reverse current through the dead cell which can ruin it. If you use fully charged NiMH cells in a GPS unit until the unit shuts off from low voltage, the cells will be fully discharged for practical purposes.

I'll first admit to only reading about a third of this thread.

Except that it got so repetitive that I don't think it matters that I didn't read all of it.

If for some reason you're not going to use rechargeable batteries (I don't either), here's something to consider. You do get what you pay for. I once bought a 14 pack of some odd brand called Q Force because I really needed batteries and they were a dollar. I put one in my clock and the battery didn't last six months. Most batteries you put in a standard clock last a couple years. The same batteries in a GPSr lasted about five hours. Not good battery life by any means.

When you're looking for regular batteries, some companies make special batteries for draining electronics. Some companies label them digital (think digi cams), some simply mark them as specific to draining electronics. Those are your best bet.

Another thing to think about: Once you've used the regular batteries to the point that your GPSr will no longer turn on, don't toss the batteries. They'll still have quite a bit of life left in them for things like wall clocks, television remote controls, etc... Things that use batteries but aren't really draining. It'll help save money in the long run.

You do get what you pay for.  I once bought a 14 pack of some odd brand called Q Force because I really needed batteries and they were a dollar.  I put one in my clock and the battery didn't last six months.  Most batteries you put in a standard clock last a couple years.  The same batteries in a GPSr lasted about five hours.  Not good battery life by any means.

She's right. I stole 4 enermax or some crap AA's from my aunt's freezer. Both sets lasted about a day and a half, and I didn't even go caching, just messing around, trying stuff, and uploading a couple maps.

Get name brand. I personally buy nothing but Energizer. But it can get costly.

BTW, I'm still on the same set of e2 lithiums that I mentioned above. 2 slivers of power gone, and i've found 3 caches since they've been in (March 19).

Edited by Marcie/Eric
Do they work any better than regular AA batteries?  I work at a place where I can get some at a little more than normal price for good AA's and was wondering if it was worth it.

check out these batteries - they are super!

I have purched many and just ordered some more -

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...TS&Category=285

cc

that's the same place I linked earlier in this thread

I now have 8 pairs of the 2500s, and tons of older 1800s and 1600s that I have ordered thru them over the years for my digital SLR and remotes around the house and flashlights and everything else that takes batteries.

I am completely happy with the products from that place.

This last weekend, we vacachened all around Moab, Utah and San Rafael, and during three days of lots of driving (probably 800 miles), we only replaced those rechargables 3 times. I kept the GPS on the whole time we drove, as it was attached to my laptop, for tracking on NG Topo.

We use the 12v quick charger to always have some fresh batteries available.

I don't see the 2500's. Do you know what page they are on?

Stupid question but...how you can fully discharge your batteries?

Using a flashlight to discharge batteries may damage the cells, because one cell will go flat first, and then the other cell will push reverse current through the dead cell which can ruin it. If you use fully charged NiMH cells in a GPS unit until the unit shuts off from low voltage, the cells will be fully discharged for practical purposes.

Flashlight discharge is fine for one or two cells but for all parts, is unnecessary for modern cells unless they are far different in charge state.

For our application, all cells are used in series and therefore, balanced discharge is relatively good. Furthermore, the discharge rate is very slow compared to the 2-10 amps that electric RC airplanes put on these size NiMH cells. Unless the cells get warm during discharge, balance is usually not an issue.

Charging is most important. Ordinary NiCd chargers will not work and neither will trickle. NiMH need to be charged at 1-2 times the capacity, for charge times of 1 hour to 30 minutes. This faster charging will cause heating but in addition, it will provide a more pronounced negative delta voltage. The negative peak is the ONLY means of determining full charge. Slow charging leads to a lower delta and most chargers that place cells in series will have each cell reach a delta at slightly different times. For safety, the first delta cuts off the charge.

I am an electric RC pilot and have several NiMH chargers for my cells. I charge single cells at 1 C, that being 2.3 amperes and it only takes 1 hour. I have over 500 charges on my first set which I use for all purposes. These chargers usually have a capacity totalizer and some even have discharge totalizers. This is how I determine service life.

Oh yes, for ultra abusive NiMH story, consider my Sanyo 4/5FAUP packs. The A cell is a bit larger than a AA, naturally and 4/5 is just a bit shorter than a regular D cell. These have 1950 mAH capacity and I draw 45 amperes for short spells. 45 amps at 9.6 volts is over a half horsepower, all out of a 11 ounce battery pack. It makes my hotliner sailplane get really small, very fast. And very fast in level flight.