Batteries???

Papa Bill

A few sets of NiMH rechargable batteries and a charger and you will kick yourself for buying alkaline batteries all these years.

The mAH (milli-amp-hours) rating is more important than the voltage.

when I first started buying them they were rated at 1200-1600 mAH. Now the ones you buy are usually over 2000 mAH.

Also, check to see if you have WAAS turned on. From what I've read, this will drain the batteries quicker than if it is turned off. I usually cache with WAAS off and the batteries last a decent amount of time (even the non-brand name).

Do most people leave the WAAS off? Being a newbie, I just figured it would be more accurate and give me better results.

A few sets of NiMH rechargable batteries and a charger and you will kick yourself for buying alkaline batteries all these years.

The mAH (milli-amp-hours) rating is more important than the voltage.

when I first started buying them they were rated at 1200-1600 mAH. Now the ones you buy are usually over 2000 mAH.

I agree completely. I use Ray-O-Vac NiMH rechargeables (make sure you buy the correct charger). I can use my GPSr all day on two of these. I have two sets, and I just swap in a new set when I go out.

Another consideration is that the rechargeables do not seem to hold a charge as long as conventional batteries. If you don't use your gadget for a few weeks, you should plan to pop in a freshly-charged set before hitting the trail.

Regular batteries are 1.5 volts and the rechargables are 1.1 volts and are just a little smaller the the reg. batteries. I also have the legend and used both kinds and think the regular batteries are much better, Just my opinion

Keith

Rechargables are 1.2V, not 1.1, and the NiMHs I have, one brand is the same size as AAs, and the other brand are about a millimetre LONGER, not shorter....

As you have already decided - Go the NiMHs. I Was getting about 2.5 hours out of a set of good duracell batteries in my GPS72, and get 6 or more hours with the NiMHs. Well worth the investment. (NiMHs cost me about $5 each over here!)

NiCad batteries have what they call "memory".

If you discharge NiCads to 60% and then recharge 4 or 5 times the next time when you try to get more than 40% out of them they die on you -- memory. This is why you are supposed to dischage them fully.

NiMH batteries are a little more expensive. They typically have a higher power rating (that's the amper hour rating). 2200 MA means 2.2 amps for an hour or 100 MA for 22 hours [ you engineers out there please don't beat me up - I know it is not competely linear - close enough for this discussion ]. So the higher the capacity the longer they last for a given current draw by the gps (or whatever).

The main things about NiMH is that they do not exhibit the memory and have a higher capacity.

Std batteries have a voltage of 1.5 while the rechargables are only 1.2 volts.

I have a setting on my Magellan also - but the NiMH never show more than about 75-80% on the battery guage. But they last a long time.

You can get NiMH batteries pretty cheeply these days. They do require a special charger. Be careful with the so-called fast chargers. They can charge in about 30 min - you have to have batteries that will take the high charging currents. And they get HOT! Too hot for my taste and I have some 40 years experience in electronics.

I used a set of NiMH's with my Garmin Geko after the Alkalines died (I wanted to see what lasted longer) and, surprinsingly, the alkalines lasted longer <_<

Maybe it's me...

On the subject of chargers (rapid or otherwise): make sure that the one you get has a charger circuit so it shuts itself down when the batteries are indeed fully charged, not when "the charging time is up". This is what causes them to get hot so quickly.

IMHO a Rapid Charger it's not worth the investment so long as you have two sets of batteries and remember to leave one charging while the other one is being used... but that's just me.

I have a setting on my Magellan also - but the NiMH never show more than about 75-80% on the battery guage. But they last a long time.

Aye, my Garmin does the same thing... only shows about 75% on the battery meter even when I just put in fully charged NiMH batteries. However, they do last a long time.

I've learned that I don't need to change the batteries until the meter gets to the point where it's empty or the unit tells me the batteries are just about out. On longer treks I'll change them just before that point so I don't forget and have them run out while the unit is clipped to my pack strap and I'm not paying attention.

When I'm organized enough to think ahead, I'll use rechargables in my Fortrex and carry a spare set of alkalines. Same with my digital camera.

My problem with rechargables is that you have to remember so much stuff.

Remember to charge them. Remember where I put them when the died and I swapped to alkalines. Remember to get them from that pocket/bag/car and charge them again.....oh, SO much work! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I need to go dig my rechargables out of my car right now and charge them!

Also, check to see if you have WAAS turned on.  From what I've read, this will drain the batteries quicker than if it is turned off.  I usually cache with WAAS off and the batteries last a decent amount of time (even the non-brand name).

Do most people leave the WAAS off? Being a newbie, I just figured it would be more accurate and give me better results.

I have WAAS turned off. In my area, I never seem to get a decent WAAS sat lock. Since it does not help me, and it wears the batteries down, I choose to just leave it off.

There is one annoyance I notice while using NiMH batteries.

I have an etrex-vista. When running on my rechargables, if I turn on

the backlight, I get a really irritating flicker of the l.c.d. display.

I am supposing the NIMHs, do not supply enough current.

I still use these in the unit, and enjoy the reduced cost, and environmental

benefit of using these rechargeables.

If your GPSr uses N batteries, then buy 2N. Keep a spare set with you at all times. Even with the appalling battery life of AAA NiMH batteries in a Geko (4 hours), you're good for 8 hours caching.

Also consider getting a charger that can run off the 12v cigarette lighter socket in your car. On a road trip this can make all the difference.

Once you get into geocaching (and you will), you will save the cost of the NiMH cells and the charger in three months.

Nick

Also, check to see if you have WAAS turned on.  From what I've read, this will drain the batteries quicker than if it is turned off.  I usually cache with WAAS off and the batteries last a decent amount of time (even the non-brand name).

I leave mine off. A few things to remember:

1. The hider may not have used WAAS, therefore "accuracy" is misleading

2. You may not be receiving a WAAS signal. Look at the satellite screen (with the bars). Do you see a "D" on any of the bars? If no, you're not receiving WAAS signals.

3. There are ways to "improve" the accuracy of the GPS, mostly holding the unit correctly and making sure it keeps contact with the satellites (don't put it in your pocket!)

4. Your GPS can only do so much for you. The difference in accuracy with and without WAAS still puts you in the same area, it's up to you to find the cache. The GPS will not always read 0 when you're on top of the cache spot.

I haven't found any instances where I felt I should have had WAAS turned on. My accuracy is generally 17' or so (average) and I'm pretty confident in that. I might get 10' with WAAS, and 7' isn't that big of a deal to me (except maybe with a micro). :blink:

What do the batteries or unit do differently that the setting in the GPSr itself has to be changed?
Different battery types have slightly different voltages. A completely charged NiMH battery only put out 1.2V, but it does it for a long time. An alkaline battery puts out more than 1.5V when new. Changing the setting on the GPS or PDA changes the battery status display, making it more accurate. If you have the setting on alkaline and put in freshly-charged NiMH batteries, the gauge will show the battery as being half-dead, when it in fact is not. Changing the setting to NiMH will cause the gauge to show the battery as fully-charged. This gauge is the only thing that changes; the actual operation of the GPS stays exactly the same.

I leave mine off. A few things to remember:

1. The hider may not have used WAAS, therefore "accuracy" is misleading

2. You may not be receiving a WAAS signal. Look at the satellite screen (with the bars). Do you see a "D" on any of the bars? If no, you're not receiving WAAS signals.

3. There are ways to "improve" the accuracy of the GPS, mostly holding the unit correctly and making sure it keeps contact with the satellites (don't put it in your pocket!)

4. Your GPS can only do so much for you. The difference in accuracy with and without WAAS still puts you in the same area, it's up to you to find the cache. The GPS will not always read 0 when you're on top of the cache spot.

I haven't found any instances where I felt I should have had WAAS turned on. My accuracy is generally 17' or so (average) and I'm pretty confident in that. I might get 10' with WAAS, and 7' isn't that big of a deal to me (except maybe with a micro). :unsure:

It is really quite simple.

You want the maximum accuracy?

Leave the WAAS enabled.

I have used anything from cheap Dollar General Store batteries to the best thing radioshack had, I say as long as it gets you where your going, it doesnt matter what batteries you use.

Oh it matters all right. Hour for hour, dollar for dollar lithium batteries kick butt when compared to all other standard battery types.

Those new Panasonic Oxyride's might be an exception though they don't appear to be widely available. Once they are, I'll give them a test drive and compare their performance vs cost against the current lithium herd. Until then, like I said, lithium....period. I do note that Panasonic did not compare the Oxyrides against any one's lithium.............interesting.

Edited by Team cotati697
Oh it matters all right. Hour for hour, dollar for dollar lithium batteries kick butt when compared to all other standard battery types.

I don't know about that. I bought 8 Energizer NiMH batteries two years ago, and have been using them constantly since. Over two years and 1000+ cache finds later they are still chugging along.

I dare any Lithium battery to do that! <_<

I don't know about that. I bought 8 Energizer NiMH batteries two years ago, and have been using them constantly since. Over two years and 1000+ cache finds later they are still chugging along.

I dare any Lithium battery to do that! <_<

And you have compared that performance to 8 lithiums?

Say wait just a minute dude. You're tyring to trick me aren't you? Let me further define my example for you. NO LITHIUM battery ever created by man can nor will EVER out live the 500 to 1000 recharges you might get from a rechargable battery, of any type from any manufacturer. If you interpreted my comments to indicate otherwise, then I apologize. There, does that do it for you?

Edited by Team cotati697

I have find that my fresh NMHi rechargeable batteries do not have quite the charge a standard “throw away” alkaline batteries do. When I put them in Magellan Explorist, my battery meter shows about ¾ full. I still get 12 to 15 hours out of recharged set with pretty heavy backlight use. I have 4 pair of batteries and I have more than doubled my initial investment (in batteries & charger) since I got my GPSr in November.

In addition to cost, there is the environmental issue. My rechargeable batteries are not going end up in the landfill. If you took all the cachers in this forum and used a conservative estimate of 12 pair of batteries a month, that’s a pile of chemicals getting discarded. <_<

I have find that my fresh NMHi rechargeable batteries do not have quite the charge a standard “throw away” alkaline batteries do. When I put them in Magellan Explorist, my battery meter shows about ¾ full. I still get 12 to 15 hours out of recharged set with pretty heavy backlight use. I have 4 pair of batteries and I have more than doubled my initial investment (in batteries & charger) since I got my GPSr in November.

In addition to cost, there is the environmental issue. My rechargeable batteries are not going end up in the landfill. If you took all the cachers in this forum and used a conservative estimate of 12 pair of batteries a month, that’s a pile of chemicals getting discarded. <_<

Twelve pairs of batteries per month? Per forum cacher? Say, do any of you people hold down FULL TIME employment? Or do you manage to get by on just TWO hours sleep per day?

NiMH = good (been using them for YEARS in Palm device, digital cameras and now GPS)

Be SURE to get an "intelligent" charger w/chip to shut off when batteries charged so you don't "cook" them.

The higher MAh ratings have less of the boil over chemical and shouldn't be used in trickle chargers (or timed chargers).

This is what led to the memory-effect myth which DOES NOT exist. (Per the battery FAQ written by a NASA engineer...)

On WAAS, definately use it when HIDING caches. It used to be only half the caches I found had decent coords, but over the past year more and more cachers have it and use it.

If you have it off when caching, fine, but please turn it back on when placing (and average readings taken another day too).

hth,

Randy

I would recommend using at least 2300 mAh batteries, from them I get about 20 hours from my 60cs. Purchased mine from Thomas-Distributing . The service on the two orders I placed through them was excellent. I love having 4 fully charged batteries in my truck at all times just waiting to be pulled from the charger at the start of my caching day. Also use other sets for my headlamp and camera.

I dare any Lithium battery to do that!

Are you including rechargeable lithiums in that challenge?

Re-chargable lithiums? Didn't know about those. Who is the manufactrer?

Where are they sold? Is a 'special' charger required? This sounds velly intelesting.

They come in AA size I surmise?

BTW, I have not been able to locate them here: http://thomasdistributing.com/index.htm

Strange. Let me know, would you?

Edited by Team cotati697

Where are they sold? Is a 'special' charger required? This sounds velly intelesting.

It really wasn't a fair remark. Rechargable lithium batteries definately exist. Many digital cameras and cell phones use them, but they do not come in AA size. I assume this has to do with the voltage. They are also more expensive and require special chargers.

It really wasn't a fair remark. Rechargable lithium batteries definately exist. Many digital cameras and cell phones use them, but they do not come in AA size. I assume this has to do with the voltage. They are also more expensive and require special chargers.

Tell me pardner, did you for one single micro-second think that I was possibly refering to any other type of rechargable lithium battery than size AA? Why in heck would I be refering to a type of battery that has no possible relevance to using a GPSr since at last check this site is devoted to Geocaching using a GPSr as its prime tool?

Yes there are in fact rechargable lithium batteries in existance and these are used quite commonly. However unfortunately they do not exist in any form that can be of any use in a GPSr.

Do they make rechargable lithium batteries for hearing-aids?

"I don't know about that. I bought 8 Energizer NiMH batteries two years ago, and have been using them constantly since. Over two years and 1000+ cache finds later they are still chugging along.

I dare any Lithium battery to do that!"

1000+ cache finds..........................using a digital camera. Pretty impressive.

Edited by Team cotati697

with new Ni-MH batteries you have to run them through 4 or 5 discharge-recharge cycles before they will come up to "full cap"

and with the exception of a 48 box of Roy-o-Vac AA's for emergencies, I have totaly switched over to NI-HM for AA and AAA. (2 chargers, both with car cords), saved enought in the first 3 months to buy the second charger. (anything that goes through a lot of batteries these things pay for themselves FAST)

I think that it may depend on where your located; the WalMart near me has the 2200mah NiMH for around $6/4 pack.

-Indybill

I was in Walmart tonight to buy some more NiMh, and found they had both the Energizer branded 2200mah and 2500mah AA's for $9.94 (same price and same stock number for both types). It looks like the Energizer brand is phasing out the 2200's.

I've also been using some of the old Energizer "Accu" 1700mah AA's I bought a few years back with good luck. I just recharge them after each outing (in a Energizer "Family" model charger).

I think I'll get a 2nd set of the 2500mah AA's and use both sets for the GPS and the older ones for other stuff around the house (give 'em to the kids to use). We are just getting started (thanks to a friend who told us about Geocaching).

I also checked the tech info for the Alkaline Energizer AA batteries and they are rated at 2850mah at an initial voltage of 1.5v. The NiMh are 2500mah at an initial voltage of 1.2v. The NiMh has a much flatter discharge curve and it looks like they are getting pretty close on the "power" comparisions with the new version.

I also just noticed the Energizer 2500 mah rechargables in Walmart, 4 for $10. Two years ago we bought an Energizer charger and 8 rechargable 1850mah as we got started GXing. Those batteries have had continous use in 2 GPSrs and a digital camera, holding up okay. Just recently one pair began not taking much of a charge, I expect some of the others will begin to fail now too. I bought the 2500 for use in the digital camera (real battery hog compared with the GPSrs). We leave WAAS on, BTW, but here in FL there's usually a good signal.