Gps Vs Gpsr

WxGuesser

i remember when i bought my first gpsr back in 2000 everybody just called them gps'. now the proper word is gpsr... come on people we all know i'm not carrying a gigantic space going satellite around when geocaching... i just feel kind of awkward when calling my "unit" a gpsr. anyone feel the same?

I've never used GPSr. Some people do.

I occasionallly qualify by calling it a GPS unit, but that's as far as I go. No R for me. Global Positioning System is descriptive enough for me to include the handheld recievers without being redundant.

Jamie

[edit] That may be the first time I've even typed GPSr. Oh no! I typed it again.

Edited by Jamie Z

From Garmin's site:

"What is GPS?

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system made up of a network of 24 satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS was originally intended for military applications, but in the 1980s, the government made the system available for civilian use. GPS works in any weather conditions, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day. There are no subscription fees or setup charges to use GPS.

How it works

GPS satellites circle the earth twice a day in a very precise orbit and transmit signal information to earth. GPS receivers take this information and use triangulation to calculate the user's exact location. Essentially, the GPS receiver compares the time a signal was transmitted by a satellite with the time it was received. The time difference tells the GPS receiver how far away the satellite is. Now, with distance measurements from a few more satellites, the receiver can determine the user's position and display it on the unit's electronic map."

I've always considered "GPS" to imply the system.

"GPSr" to imply the unit or the receiver.

I feel kind of sheepish about using the "r." The only reason I do is to prevent correction by the hypercritical. I'm taking a stand--no more "r!"

Hmmm, a mule feeling sheepish - is that wierd ... or kinky? :blink:

I'm sorry so many have that much of a problem saying 'r'. It does lengthing the name by 25% I guess. But what you have in your hand is a GPS unit or GPS receiver, so why not call it what it is?

Up the R, oh hairy primate! (apologies to Alan Dean Foster)

...so why not call it what it is?

Okay. "Honey, I still need to down load the waypoints to the Magellan SproTrak Pro Global Positioning System receiver and the Magellan SporTrak Map Global Positioning System receiver before we can go."

(I sound like a NACSAR driver being interviewed.)

No, thanks. I'll stick with "GPS" and still be just as accurate as anyone who tacks on the "r."

Another thought, I never seen the use of the "r" before geocaching. I wonder if that makes us look like goofs to other GPS users.

Another thought, I never seen the use of the "r" before geocaching.  I wonder if that makes us look like goofs to other GPS users.

It probably makes us look more pretentious and anal.

And yes, I usually tack on the "r". But then again I AM fairly pretentious and anal. :blink:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it a GPSr when talking about it. It seems to be mostly a typing convention.

I prefer the simple three-character GPS. If others can't determine which component of the system I carry with me, it may be time for someone to take a vacation. :blink:

Someone should organize a "Just Say No To r" campaign. ...or not.

I have always called them a GPS or GPS Unit. Never a GPS receiver in the same way that I don't call my radio a radio receiver.

Then again I get twitchy when people say things like:

"I turned off the internet"

"The internet isn't working today"

I bought the internet but it isn't working"

Dan

Can't really make that one a plural, Global positioning systems? Theres only one System, less you include maps but who uses those anymore B)

And for the R I find calling mine "My Legend(Garmin eTrex legend)" or my BLue traking deely for my less informed friends...

But when typing the r tends to slip in every few posts :D

LoL Isn't their a fine balance here, how about we call them GPSx, hey we get rid of the R, but theres still a neat little letter to confuse those who don't cache B)

Or maybe not...

B)

-D-

Edited by Dennisfauchez
come on people we all know i'm not carrying a gigantic space going satellite around when geocaching...

You know, I couldn't figure out what the 'r' stood for. 'Receiver' is the first thing that popped to mind, so I assumed it was an incorrect assumption because it is so obvious and redundant. I chalked it up to being a noob. I'm glad that I was right.

What I got even less was that it is frequently spelled 'GPSr', as if the 'r' has some lesser meaning. Whatever. I guess I just think too much.

All I can do to place my vote is to try not to propagate it...

Some day, when I'm a known and respected geocacher here, maybe it will have some effect on others, hehehe.

Jeremy Z.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and be a dissenter amongst the group. Personally it sounds a little ridiculous for some reason to refer to their device as "my GPS" because the acronym GPS is used to define the "system" not end-user device. Saying "my GPS" is like saying you have your own personal set of satellites for global positioning. Now if anyone here does then I fully endorse your use of GPS sans "r" :rolleyes: A GPS receiver is used to access _THE_ GPS. So it is not in any way redundant. The lower case "r" in GPSr is used because GPS... "Global Positioning System" is a proper name... like the "Internet" (Upper case "I"), while the "r" in receiver is not proper. So, even though the "r" is part of an acronym a case change is used to delimit the proper name from the non-proper word in the acronym. I fully admit that this is picking all kinds of nits.... but being a techie, and often technical writer this kind of thing drives me bonkers.

I know... I'm a geek ;)

-FlatLander

Edited by flat_lander

GPS, no r. I am already a big enough geek. I am replying to this post on my PPC which is connected to my home wireless network while I am in bed. The only reason I have a PPC is because of geocaching.....oh, and I think they are cool. So for me...referring to it as a GPSr just puts another nail in the geek coffin. Remember, I am a self admitted geek so don't flame me. :rolleyes:

i remember when i bought my first gpsr back in 2000 everybody just called them gps'. now the proper word is gpsr... come on people we all know i'm not carrying a gigantic space going satellite around when geocaching... i just feel kind of awkward when calling my "unit" a gpsr. anyone feel the same?

My "unit" has been called many things but never a gpsr. I could come up with something using those initials but I don't want to be banned! :rolleyes:;)

Just a couple points to add to the fray.

1) Unlike stated in a previous post, yes, there is a place for a plural of GPS (GPSs?). There really are a number of Global Positioning Systems in operation. As I understand it, the US military even has a system that duplicates or enhances the "old one" we use. I have also been told there is a Russian GPS in orbit and that the presence of the Russian GPS was one of the things that made selective availability more of a problem than a security benifit.

2) Although, in these forums we don't really discuss GPSs much, and the there is not much chance of confusion between a GPS in orbit and a GPS in one's hand, in a general context or in a context like this particular post, differentiating a GPS from a GPSr becomes fairly important for clarity.

I vote for GPSr.

I'm new, but put me down for a NO "r"

It's all just a matter of clarity.

If we only ever discuss the use of our GPS then "GPS" is a fine acronym.

But, if we are interested in discussing GPS navigation and the use of an alternative GPS to the currently used one, or the use of a new GPS that can communicate with an alternate GPS, we quickly get very confused.

Sometimes context is enough to differentiate the meaning of GPS from GPS. Sometimes it is not.

I think we get along pretty well using GPS as loosely as we do in these forums, since most of us are only ever referring to our personal tools. But, if we were to jump into a GPS navigation forum where the satellite systems became part of the discussion, I suspect our loose use of GPS would not do so well.