Appeal Cache

richary

Maybe as it is the small hours in the USA this will get a few readers before the moderators close it down.

I agree a cache of this type does raise some dilemnas about some charities and not others. But imagine if the geocaching community got behind a cause. Worldwide. How many people, how much money could we raise and how much recognition could we get for our hobby?

I'm disgusted at the things some people have put on this forum about people profiting from death and only being after smileys. Makes me very glad I live in Australia. And even less likely to want to revisit America.

Perhaps you will be a little less rule bound when the forecast Tsunami or major earthquake drops most of California into the ocean. But some of us on the other side of the pond might remember your attitude now.

Richary

9-11 Blood Drive Beg Cache

September 12, 2001 by Jeremy (193 found)

If you can't donate blood, please donate to the Red Cross by clicking the link above this message

Double standards if ever I have seen them...

Well done all who got this cache archived :angry:

Not to sound crass, but it's ONLY 150,000. In the grand scheme of things, its a drop in the bucket

So that means 3000 Americans is more important than 150,000 Asians???

Of course, since people are still logging it after it's archived, I guess it really IS all about the smiley, even when it comes to this. That's pretty sad.

Hmmm......and look... PEOPLE WERE LOGGING THIS AS A FIND LAST YEAR!!!

Congrats GC.COM on showing your true colors.

Please cancel my Premium Membership.

CraigRat

Edited by CraigRat

Here here ... most Australians on the gc.com.au fora have found the response to Piggy's cache particularly galling, especially in view of the virtual cache listed after 9-11 (GC1C90) where Jeremy himself encouraged people to give to the Red Cross if they couldn't give blood.

All this has done is give the appearance of one rule for the Americans, and another for everyone else. The intent was not political - it was just an effort to try and help out. The biggest natural disaster in the history of the modern world, and some small people see fit to try and reduce this to 'smileys'.

Here here ... most Australians on the gc.com.au fora have found the response to Piggy's cache particularly galling, especially in view of the virtual cache listed after 9-11 (GC1C90) where Jeremy himself encouraged people to give to the Red Cross if they couldn't give blood.

All this has done is give the appearance of one rule for the Americans, and another for everyone else. The intent was not political - it was just an effort to try and help out. The biggest natural disaster in the history of the modern world, and some small people see fit to try and reduce this to 'smileys'.

This site has changed a great deal in the over 3 years since 9/11. The Blood Drive cache wouldn't be approved today either.

Were we less rule-bound when Florida was hit by FOUR major hurricanes last year?

How much money was collected worldwide to help the US then? I'll give you a hint, it's less than $1

I don't know what the basis of that claim is, but I would suggest that Australians (and I am a New Zealander) would have given without question out of their own pockets.

<p>

Andrew

Were we less rule-bound when Florida was hit by FOUR major hurricanes last year?

How much money was collected worldwide to help the US then? I'll give you a hint, it's less than $1

I don't know what the basis of that claim is, but I would suggest that Australians (and I am a New Zealander) would have given without question out of their own pockets.

<p>

Andrew

It's disturbing how a disaster occurs somewhere in the world, and the US is on the list of countries sending money. Both goverment, business, and private citizens help out and donate. However, when a disaster occurs on US soil, the world stands back and watches us take care of it ourselves.

Double standards and hypocracy .... at least the colours have been run up the mast.

The "9-11 Donate Blood cache" was an exception, but I forgot that was for the US!

It has shown a lot of the the Australian users that GC.com is an extremely US focused game with US-centric policy.

And to think I had been about to sign up as a Premium member this evening, now I am rethinking my involvement with GC.com.

cheers Darren :angry:

The ELTHAM Mob

As an American who has donated for the Tsunami relief, I say the cache SHOULD be archived.

If you cannot understand why, do a search for the topic of charities.

If you still can't understand, you're being myopic, or just love bashing america. There is a topic in the Off Topic forum for doing that.

EDIT: DCR, did you even READ any of the previous messages? Such as the one stating that gc.com has changed dramatically in three years? There are a lot of things allowable threee years ago that are not allowed now.

Get over yourselves!

Edited by New England n00b

Thanks for the replies. I may have been a bit harsh in the initial comments about not wanting to visit USA again.

But to reply to a couple of comments, the Florida hurricanes were well reported here (media and government seems to think we are the 51st state). But there was no appeal publicised through any of our aid agencies here. Guess everyone assumes the USA is rich enough to look after itself.

Perhaps that is another positive use of our huge network of people throughout the world. We can reach people everywhere. If something happens then lets help in every way we can.

150,000 Asians (and holidaying westerners) dead. I bet the media wouldn't have been as interested if it hadn't been a tourist area for us. 12 confirmed dead from Australia though probably a lot more. Let them die, it doesn't affect us. One of these days we will all realise we are one people regardless of where we are born or religion. Unluckily I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

This is a geocaching site.

That is, on this site, political discussions are (mostly) off-topic.

I can only speculate why the 9-11 cache was approved, but I won't.

Fact is, I'm as opposed to a 9-11 blood drive cache as I am a Tsunami relief cache. They aren't caches. They're solicitation.

I hope everything possible is done to return to normal those lives of people affected, but it's still not geocaching. I can donate time, money, or blood, but it's still not geocaching.

Jamie

it's one thing to be apathetic in the face of a distaster, but it's another thing to actively stop people trying to assist.  when a tragedy of this magnitude occurs, rules be damned!

Mmmm, yes, because without that one single cache, noone would possibly know where to to go to support the relief efforts. Riiiiight.

This is the kind of reason gc.com stopped allowing soliciting caches. Someone is always going to complain.

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

Incidentally, if you REALLY do care about the relief effort, and not just kicking gc in the jimmies, go to the Off Topic forum and look up a post by WH listed dozens of relief fund recipients. Put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by New England n00b

Back to the original post,

I agree a cache of this type does raise some dilemnas about some charities and not others. But imagine if the geocaching community got behind a cause. Worldwide. How many people, how much money could we raise and how much recognition could we get for our hobby?

People are going to donate towards the relief finds if they want to or are able to. Do you really think having a cache setup for contributions really changes how many people will give? Will it change how much they give?

There are so many places you can go if you want to donate money. Why make a cache out of it?

People are going to donate towards the relief finds if they want to or are able to. Do you really think having a cache setup for contributions really changes how many people will give? Will it change how much they give?

There are so many places you can go if you want to donate money. Why make a cache out of it?

If it doesn't make a difference why do we support CITO?

Becuase *it does* make a difference!

And if you don't agree with it, you don't have to log it ... no one forces anyone to do any caches.

Edited by dcr
it's one thing to be apathetic in the face of a distaster, but it's another thing to actively stop people trying to assist. when a tragedy of this magnitude occurs, rules be damned!

Fine. There is no rule against logging an archived cache. If I give MORE money to the Red Cross, you can BET that I'll log it.

Sax. This ain't your forum, but if you can, lock this mess. It's doing more harm than good.

FWIW: Brian Roth's archive note was very respectful IMO.

Not to sound crass, but it's ONLY 150,000. In the grand scheme of things, its a drop in the bucket

Clearly you will never grasp how offensive you are, and I sincerely hope you are not indicative of the average American. If 150,000 is only a drop in the bucket, why is everyone remembering September 11th, after all it was only 3,800 or so?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought we were getting together not just to remember the 150,000+ people that died, but to help the over 5 million survivors to rebuild their lives.

And where were was America when we needed help with bushfires? We HIRED the aircraft from the STATES... but we sent over volunteers to help in the California fires a few years ago....

This Tsunami was more devastating than another natural event that I havebeen witness to, I can't see the harm in allowing the cache in question to stand, and yes I did claim a find, but I have now changed that to a "Did Not Find" to appease the Politically Correct people who frequent this forum(and tp prove that the game is not about the smiley but about the find, no matter what it is for...)

But after finding out that there was such a cache before hand that WAS sanctioned by the same people who now cry foul of the Tsuami cache, I have to wonder at the double standards being displayed. And as for the Hurricanes of Forida... If help had been requested no doubt we would have responded... as we have done so many times of late.. two "world events" in particular stand out. I have just made all of my current caches inactive until I decide what further action I should take, I do this as a protest for the archiving of the Tsunami Appeal Cache

And if you don't agree with it, you don't have to log it ... no one forces anyone to do any caches.

CITO is an entirely different topic. If you'd like to start a thread about it, feel free.

<p>

Andrew

It's disturbing how a disaster occurs somewhere in the world, and the US is on the list of countries sending money. Both goverment, business, and private citizens help out and donate. However, when a disaster occurs on US soil, the world stands back and watches us take care of it ourselves.

I'm sure if the US asked for help it would get it too where needed..

The problem the aussies seem to have is the double standard and the US centric thinking.

And I have to agree with them.

Do I think we should have the virtual? not sure, but if you do the the 9-11 one you should allow this one too.

If you change the rules you should archive all charity caches.

What is morally questionable it that this one gets banned, but you can earn point by breaking the law (the speed ticket cache). Doesnt make sense. Not saying we should archive the speeding cache, I see the fun in that (and he who is without sin cast the first stone.. and that certainly is not me)

My suggestion is to either have only physical caches (and hence miss out on a lot of fun) or take things a cache at the time and use rules as guidelines not as strict law. there is allways going to be situations where your rules dont work...

To end up I'd like to ask all people to lighten up and help people in where possible, wether they are in florida, australia, thailand, tibet, norht pole whatever..

CITOing is an activity directly associable with geocaching. We are in the woods already, "hey there is some trash. I'll pick it up.".

Your example is invalid unless you are geocaching in the affected area of the Tsunami.

But after finding out that there was such a cache before hand that WAS sanctioned by the same people who now cry foul of the Tsuami cache, I have to wonder at the double standards being displayed.

I hate to bring it up again, but that was well over three years ago and many of the guidelines on this site have been updated numerous times since then

What's the point of having a button on Amazon.com to donate? It's a shopping site which has nothing to do with making donations...

Or what about having telethon or charity sporting matches or collecting money at major events...

Every person can give in their own way, in whatever manner they choose, why block this one way? Really what is your motivation?

Do you really think having a cache setup for contributions really changes how many people will give? Will it change how much they give?

GPSaxophone, if you read the latest log to the cache you see that this cache "finally motivated" the cacher to donate. that seems to be enough reason to us. if you don't like the cache, then don't log it! but let it be for other people to log. it's not doing you any harm, is it?

That is not true at all. Just two examples, September 11, 2001. Another is the bush fires in 2003/2004 [?] where Australian firefighters traveled to the US and assisted in relief efforts and fighthing fires.

I really see little to be gained from bashing either side. Such degenerative comments only reflect poorly on the poster, whether they are in the USA or Australia or Mongolia!

Regards

Andrew

What's the point of having a button on Amazon.com to donate? It's a shopping site which has nothing to do with making donations...

Or what about having telethon or charity sporting matches or collecting money at major events...

Every person can give in their own way, in whatever manner they choose, why block this one way? Really what is your motivation?

What is the motivation? Use the search button and stop ignoring people who answer your question.

Then a link on the main Geocaching.com page would have been more appropriate than a cache submission. Caches that solicit, no matter how noble the cause, are against the guidelines. You should go back and read Bryan Roth's note again.

As an American who has donated for the Tsunami relief, I say the cache SHOULD be archived.

If you still can't understand, you're being myopic, or just love bashing america. There is a topic in the Off Topic forum for doing that.

EDIT: DCR, did you even READ any of the previous messages? Such as the one stating that gc.com has changed dramatically in three years? There are a lot of things allowable threee years ago that are not allowed now.

Get over yourselves!

And when exactly was the 9/11 cache archived ? certainly not 3 years ago

regards binns1012 (Tony)

Then a link on the main Geocaching.com page would have been more appropriate than a cache submission. Caches that solicit, no matter how noble the cause, are against the guidelines. You should go back and read Bryan Roth's note again.

Then there would have been a debate about which charity to link to :angry:

Andrew

Then there would have been a debate about which charity to link to :angry:

Andrew

There's a

big list of them here

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

If you still can't understand, you're being myopic, or just love bashing america.  There is a topic in the Off Topic forum for doing that.

EDIT:  DCR, did you even READ any of the previous messages?  Such as the one stating that gc.com has changed dramatically in three years?  There are a lot of things allowable threee years ago that are not allowed now.

Get over yourselves!

regards binns1012 (Tony)

From the 9/11 page:

This 'cache' was set up to help motivate people to donate, allow them to help and let them feel they helped in this tragic time. There is some who would like this 'cache' archived as it is not a true cache. At this time I must agree and I plan to archive the cache. Since I have received some inquiries I plan to leave the cache open till this weekend so you have this week log your find but a lifetime to donate. No posts to this log will be deleted by me.

Has been logged an amazingly huge number of.... wait for it.... 9 whole times since 2001!

Incidentally, you can log ANY cache as a find after it has been archivd, not just this one.

Caches that solicit, no matter how noble the cause, are against the guidelines. You should go back and read Bryan Roth's note again.

Caches that "solicit", I think that you'll find that this is pretty much restricted to "caches that request donations". If you have a look there are multiple examples of "soliciting" that has been/is acceptable, they just don't seems to raise as many hackles :angry:

The selective interpretation of some of the terminiology in the guidlines is probably what angers people.

If your reading this and going what the...

Here's the link:

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.p...der=asc&start=0

Australian Geocaching is pissed because GC.com has canned a highly successful cache aimed at raising money for Tsunami Victims. As Geocaching.com does not want to support any single charities then it has been archived. Follow the thread and see for yourself.

Personally I am not anti-Americian and can see the arguement from both sides but...

(1) The double standards are blatant.

(2) It is personal choice how much and to who people donate money to.

(3) It is not about smilies - there is nothing to smile about.

(4) This one was bagging America but I have edited it because it's not the purpose of my post. We are partners but I am dissappointed, as are many Australian (and Kiwi's) about the GC.com action to archive with out clarification.

If Yahoo (http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate/) and Google (http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html) can post a links to donate to the tsunami relief then why is Geocaching so hard nosed on ethics but can help out a fellow human being through caching?

I know where you can stick your premium membership.

Bronze.

Edited by Bronze
Caches that solicit, no matter how noble the cause, are against the guidelines. You should go back and read Bryan Roth's note again.

Caches that "solicit", I think that you'll find that this is pretty much restricted to "caches that request donations". If you have a look there are multiple examples of "soliciting" that has been/is acceptable, they just don't seems to raise as many hackles :angry:

The selective interpretation of some of the terminiology in the guidlines is probably what angers people.

Here's the complete text, makes much more sense in context:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing.  These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas may not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Yes. Three years ago.

The owner updated the page in October of 2001 and said it would be archived in about a week.

The owner even says,

There is some who would like this 'cache' archived as it is not a true cache. At this time I must agree and I plan to archive the cache.

Jamie

regards binns1012 (Tony)

In fact it was: The follwoing is taken directly from the cache page itself. Link to Blood Donation Cache page

As of 10/06 at 4:43pm we have 37 ( pints of blood in the cache (4.625 gallons) and another 15 pints (1.875 gallons) pledged for a total of 52 pints (6.5 gallons) - ending with sewardvanlee. The cache is now archived and we as a nation must move on.

Guidelines schmidelines...

Perhaps the most disturbing comments made in this discussion so far are the ones that describe team Piggy's cache as "Begging" or "Solicitation" How callous and insensitive to describe it this way. Millions of people have found themselves in the most desperate situation imaginable, and through no fault of their own. It's not begging, it's not solicitation. It's a desperate cry for help. Only the most hardened and insensitive souls could ignore this.

Cancelling the cache was a supremely callous and totally unnecessary act.

Shame Shame Shame.

Edited by The 2 Dogs

Hey, i'm Australian Cacher and whilst I agree it's a worthy cause, I don't believe a geocache is the right tool for the job. And I really do feel for the people suffering, but as far as charities go, do we really need to be prompted by a geocache to give money?

It's not the right tool for the job. If geo.com start approving these caches, then there will be money and emotions involved and then they would become political. They are not being callous, they are trying to stay neutral if anything. I enjoy caching and don't want this to end in the closing of GC.com. If you're not happy with GC.com then you are quite within your rights to leave, but don't label those who stay as callous and unfeeling.

I say DONATE ANYWAY, but leave GC out of it. Remember that it is *game* web site and not a political/religous/emotional forum.

Charitable causes should be kept to forums or charitable websites or the media. Free publicity is a double edged sword.

I think this would have been better handled with something like a banner on all of the cache pages asking people to donate to the tsunami appeal via the charity website of their choice (at the most).

Happy caching everyone...

of.... wait for it.... 9 whole times

Just wondering if you realise that you sound like an arrogant pr1ck with these kind of catch phrases.

Ditto with your 'riiiiight' in you previous post.

Fine if you feel that way, but it doesn't make me wrong. I find equally galling the attitude of people who attack geocaching.com at the slightest, and usually pathetic, little perceived offense.

(1) The double standards are blatant.

How so? Other caches for charitable causes are not approved. If you think it's different, show me another one from the last 6 months. The 9/11 cache doesn't count, since it was well over 3 years ago as pointed out numerous times in this thread already.

(2) It is personal choice how much and to who people donate money to.

That's right it is. If I want to donate to some charity in the name of Geocaching.com, I can, whether Geocaching.com agrees with me or not.

(3) It is not about smilies - there is nothing to smile about.

If it's not about smilies, then you don't need a cache page.

(4) What does it look like from Australia's point of view: Well if Americians are over there helping then there must be oil there somewhere.

That's right, we can't just be nice and donate anything just because something bad happened. Why do you think GC.com doesn't want to be involved? People will think there's money in it for them if they are!

One final reply.

The thing that scares me most is that not just the Australian cachers have a problem with the US centric/arrogant attitude some people at GC.com seem to have. In Holland too there are many complaints about it.

I find this a pity since I feel the GC community should unite world wide and have a central place. But I keep hearing more and more talk of people wanting to seperate.. I find this a pity and a loss for geocaching in general.

Lets all just respect each other and try to get along..

If geocachers cant do that what hope is there for the rest of the world?

Virtuals are more like Cheetos at a nice steak restaurant.

nuff said?

(ie. enough said :: The fact that this was a virtual, and your signature states your dislike for this form of cache)

Edited by dcr
of.... wait for it.... 9 whole times

Just wondering if you realise that you sound like an arrogant pr1ck with these kind of catch phrases.

Ditto with your 'riiiiight' in you previous post.

Fine if you feel that way, but it doesn't make me wrong. I find equally galling the attitude of people who attack geocaching.com at the slightest, and usually pathetic, little perceived offense.

The point I am making is that you are losing your point by showing such attitude..

And 2 wrongs still dont make a right.. think about it.. just some friendly advise..

I have just made all of my current caches inactive until I decide what further action I should take, I do this as a protest for the archiving of the Tsunami Appeal Cache

Likewise - bring on AussieCaching so we can do our own thing without all this Yankcentric crap.

I also write to express my absolute disgust that Groundspeak has archived the Asian Tsunami Disaster cache.

We Australian geocachers fully recognise that this site is hosted in the US and that the majority of the geocachers are probably from the US.

We are frequently incredulous at the US-centric nature of the site and the lack of sensitivity shown to other cultures / nations (particularly on the forums), but we always bite our tongues.

However, while I am normally personally very supportive of the US and their actions, in this case, I cannot bite my tongue:

1. I find it rather sad that certain geocachers (who appear in this thread) have nothing better to do than hunt down caches which may possibly fall outside the guidelines specified by gc.com and debate them endlessly with other geocachers with similar anal retentive tendencies!!!

2. I find it extremely insulting that certain geocachers (who appear in this thread) accused me and other geocachers of only donating $2000 to the charity so that we could gain a smiley!!! (Apology please...)

3. I find it a great shame that Groundspeak has bowed to pressure from the peanut gallery and archived this very well meaning and very productive cache… In the 24 hours it was on the air it raised $6500 – that almost half the amount that the generous US president has donated!!!

4. I find it extremely hypocritical that Groundspeak bent the rules for the 9-11 Donate Blood cache, and indeed actively supported it (Link to Jeremy's Log), and that local UK approvers were allowed the latitude to approve caches to support Children in Need.

Yet we Australians are not allowed to have a cache that aims to support victims in our region… Victims of the greatest human tragedy ever known… Over 5,000,000 affected...

Does it really matter that much if someone in the Geocaching community tries to prompt fellow members to donate money to a worthy cause?? Can you not turn a blind eye???

I have been approached at my camera club for donations...

I have been approached at my supermarket for donations...

I have been approached at work for donations...

(and in all cases have donated something...)

WHY SHOULD THE GEOCACHING COMMUNITY BE ANY DIFFERENT???

Through personal experience I know that US news & current affairs programmes severely tone down / censor coverage of anything like this, so let me leave you with a couple of images of the tragedy that some people have turned your back on...

p1quake_gallery__454x550.jpg

<br>

p3quake_gallery__509x550.jpg

I would strongly urge Groundspeak to reconsider their decision and reinstate this cache... Many Australian eminent cachers would rather not, but are considering removing their caches from your site...

I would urge all geocachers to consider donating something or demonstrating your donation via this cache - even if it has been officially archived... [/b]