Snake Identification

OzGuff

Grat.jpg

Rat Snake

"Elaphe obsoleta"

Common. Rat snakes are found in a wide variety of habitats, but are most common in wooded or swampy areas. Adults frequently attain lengths of more than 4 ft. Coastal forms are olive with 4 dark stripes on the back; inland specimens range from black to light gray or brown with darker blotches andhave a light belly with dark blotches. They feed on birds and their eggs as well as rodents, such as rats, mice, and squirrels. Known as the “chicken snake” in farming areas because they will readily eat chicks and chicken eggs, rat snakes also enter barns in search of mice and rats. Like corn snakes, they are very good climbers.

Compiled from Snakes of Georgia and South Carolina

I can tell you for a fact it is a black rat snake. They are harmless to humans but can be quiet intimidating when climbing a tree right next to you. They climb trees in order to get into birds nests and woodpecker nests (to feed on eggs and young birds) that are generally inside a cavity approximetly 25ft up.

One time I was working in the woods and I felt my foot move and when I looked down there one was. And a big one at that. I screamed like a little girl !!!!

From the horses's mouth (or at least from seldom_seen) the tree was 4-5 inches wide and the snake was about 5 feet long. The photo definitely makes the snake look much, much longer. Based on this new information I think the black rat snake hypothesis has credence. Thanks to all who threw in their couple of cents.

I like snakes. I like them a lot. I'll second the votes for harmless black rat snake.

Keeps the mouse and rat population down, or do you prefer them to snakes? :rolleyes:

I had a baby boa once, called him Rocky. No really! He liked to ride in the car and hang off of the rear view mirror. Finally had to get rid of him when he got over 4'.

Edited by wimseyguy
do you prefer them to snakes?

In a word, yes! Now, if I run up on a spider more than 5'9", I might change my mind.

Like when I told our pest control guy about catching my 18 month old son chasing a nickel sized black hairy spider across the living room floor :rolleyes:. He said "Oh that's just a wolf spider, you WANT him! He eats other spiders!"

I told him, "I pay YOU to get rid of the other spiders!"

I won't go out of my way to kill a snake, unless he's a threat, but I'd just as soon we avoid each other to begin with. That's what I like about caching right now! Not too many snake problems when it's 35 degrees! :rolleyes:

I was bitten on the toes by a copperhead a couple of years ago.

ankleshotbig.jpg

During the 8 week recovery, I put together a snakes and snakebite guide, hoping to provide useful information for others. Anyone traipsing around in the woods might find a tidbit here to take along with them.

If you're interested, you can find it here. <a href='http://www.computergirl.net/spamiam/snakes/index.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.computergirl.net/spamiam/snakes/index.htm</a>

And yep - that one up there is a ratsnake, simply called "blacksnake" in these parts.

How big is that thing? Looks about 10 ft! That's a pree-mo specimen thar! A snake that big doesn't need to be venomous, does it? :rolleyes:

You might want to send a copy of that to your local university. Someone from there would probably be interested in checking that guy out.

Best,

Edited by Spamiam