New Feature Wanted

Phideo

How does one go about suggesting new enhancements and/or features? What I would like to see is a link on "My Cache Page" that will show me all the caches that have been found 'Today' starting from my home coordinates. This would be a huge time saver rather than paging through all the listings to find which ones have been done today.

I would appreciate any feedback, or direction as to who I would address this with.

Thank you.

Back in the days when we had stats, one side benefit for people who could care less about them was the recent logs section. You could at a glance see who's been logging in your town or your state. Then you could click to check out the cache. Pretty slick, and I think it helped the community feel more cohesive.

It would be nice to have something similar back.

That is a feature I would like. I usually go through all the nearby caches to see if anyone found them today just so I can see who is out and about and its fun reading everyones logs.

Mike

I agree. I enjoy reading peoples logs too. This feature sure would be a time saver rather than paging through everything to find 'Todays' activity.

That is a feature I would like.  I usually go through all the nearby caches to see if anyone found them today just so I can see who is out and about and its fun reading everyones logs.

Mike

I do the same thing. I like to see the local activity without having to watch every cache.

They have this feature here on the forums, when you log on at the top of the page is View New Posts, brings up all new posts since last logged in.

That would be great on my cache page. When you just look for found today you only see logs that were logged today. Some caches are slow to post there logs. I would like to read them even if they found it a few days ago they are still new logs.

Mike

Everyone who's posted is a premium member. Why not do what I do? Order a pocket query for your home area... for every day of the week, if you want... and open it in your favorite third-party software application.... I happen to use Watcher. I just set the columns to display "Last Found" and "Last No Find" among the other columns like cache name, owner, etc. Then I sort according to those columns in reverse chronological order. I then read all the recent finds and, even more fun, all the recent DNF's. This is especially fun on a Monday or Tuesday after a busy weekend of caching.

Building on The Leprechauns' pocket query solution...The PQ generator will currently let you select caches that have been found in the last 7 days. What would be interesting to see, as an alternative to updating the My Cache page, is to be able to specify that you want the query to include caches found within x number of days. That way you only get the caches that have been found in the past, say, 2 days if you want--thus reducing the size of the files that have to be generated and sent out.

However, bear in mind that many people (myself included) often don't log their cache finds unti at leastl 1-2 days later...so by looking at "today's" logs only, you'd be missing a lot of logs!

I hear you all about PQ's. I alreay have enough PQ's running and don't want to make this any more complicated than it needs to be. All 3rd party software suggestions are a work around not a solution to my request. It can't be hard to add a link to my cache page for "Todays Finds" much like the others that exist already for "Filter Finds" and "Mine". It sounds to me that I'm not alone in my thinking either.

The other day I was demo'ing GC to my father and showing how many caches are around my area when he asked "How many of these caches were done today". Do you know I had to think for a while how I was going to answer the question. It would take too long to write the PQ and get it to execute in a timely fashion, just to d/l and save. Then bring it up in 3rd party software and filter columns to achieve the desired output. It sure would have been nice and simple if I click One link on GC.COM and brought up all activity done today from my home coordinates.

In fact the link wouldn't have to just display todays activity ONLY. Let it sort the output in date sequence so you could see the latest logs first.

The other day I was demo'ing GC to my father and showing how many caches are around my area when he asked "How many of these caches were done today". Do you know I had to think for a while how I was going to answer the question. It would take too long to write the PQ and get it to execute in a timely fashion, just to d/l and save. Then bring it up in 3rd party software and filter columns to achieve the desired output. It sure would have been nice and simple if I click One link on GC.COM and brought up all activity done today from my home coordinates.

Put me in the same situation. My pop sitting next to me and asks how many of the local caches have been hit today, here's what I do:

I double-click GSAK on my desktop, which brings up my "Nearby Home" database. I click on the "Last found" column, which sorts the caches by date of last found.

Now I can selectively choose the caches at the top and open them and read the logs.

I have a "Near Home" PQ that runs roughly every other day. So worst case, my data is one day old, which is probably a lot more current than a typical geocacher is with logging his finds anyway.

I don't want to say that the feature you request isn't necessary... but you have the tools already in front of you to do it. And depending on how you use those tools, the answer to your request is about four mouse-clicks away.

Jamie

Just one more point. Using third party software and PQ's may work just fine if you are on your own PC where you happen to have GSAK or WATCHER loaded already. But if I just simply had a few moments at work, or at a friends house, or the library, (or anywhere else where I don't have the ability to rely on installed software) where I wanted to see what has been done for the day - I couldn't - not without paging through the multiple listings...

Getting back on topic though, where or who do I address this request to. I see in other posts where Jeremy will chime in and respond to requests. As he hasn’t done so here I can only assume he hasn’t read this post or feels this request isn’t deserving/requiring any attention. Or perhaps it needs someone else’s attention. Is there a formal request forum where all requests get prioritized and answered? I just want to make sure the approriate people see the request. Thanks for everyones responses so far.

It isn't something straightforward, since logs themselves don't have any actual coordinates. So I can't just query the log entries to see which ones were posted recently in your area.

What you can do is create a pocket query of all caches from an origin that have been updated in the last 7 days (or whatever). It will list all the caches that had recent logs.

It is a good suggestion but would take some time to implement. Once we knock off some of these bigger projects (cache attributes comes to mind) I'll see if we can address this one.

It is a good suggestion but would take some time to implement. Once we knock off some of these bigger projects (cache attributes comes to mind) I'll see if we can address this one.

Thanks Jeremy, I'd appreciate that very much. I'll use your suggestion of the PQ as a work around in the meantime.