Benchmarks

nickelcachers

It seems we don't really have benchmarks in Canada at least in the geocaching community. I see the ones mentioned are locationless or virtual caches and not true benchmarks like the US has. The Canada-US border monuments are the closest to me here in the Vancouver area. It would be nice to see Benchmarks set up in Canada like the US has. Maybe the data doesnt exist or maybe GC doesnt want to do it for all countries. :blink:

If you want to start finding Canadian benchmarks you can get at the database here . Access is free but you do need to sign up - it's pretty straightforward. Once in you can search for benchmarks in your area - and you'll find lots. They are quite fun to find but at present there is no way to log them on gc.com. Of course if someone would like to set up a site to log them go for it. I've gone looking for a few and some are easy - some challenging and some probably gone - just like caches <_<

If you want to start finding Canadian benchmarks you can get at the database here . Access is free but you do need to sign up - it's pretty straightforward.  Once in you can search for benchmarks in your area - and you'll find lots.  They are quite fun to find but at present there is no way to log them on gc.com.  Of course if someone would like to set up a site to log them go for it.

Why don't you set up a cache like The Brass Cap cache for Ontario? I'd hope approval wouldn't be a problem as geocaching.com doesn't support benchmarks in Canada (yet).

I'd always asummed that once benchmarks are supported in Canada one option for my Brass Cap cache finds (20+ so far) would be to convertl them over to benchmark finds <_<

Why don't you set up a cache like The Brass Cap cache for Ontario?  I'd hope approval wouldn't be a problem as geocaching.com doesn't support benchmarks in Canada (yet).

I'm not so sure about getting a cache like that approved under today's guidelines. A moving virtual cache sounds like it's got at least two strikes against it although it does sound like fun :(<_<;) .

Why don't you set up a cache like The Brass Cap cache for Ontario?  I'd hope approval wouldn't be a problem as geocaching.com doesn't support benchmarks in Canada (yet).

I'm not so sure about getting a cache like that approved under today's guidelines. A moving virtual cache sounds like it's got at least two strikes against it although it does sound like fun <_<;):( .

As the reviewer most likely to review this one, I would have to call strike three under the current guidelines :( does sound like fun tho

As the reviewer most likely to review this one, I would have to call strike three under the current guidelines does sound like fun tho

The brass cap cache has taken cachers to many different locations. Some with a great view some with a bit of history some for just an enjoyable walk.Some geocachers seem to enjoy it as much as regular caches they hunt. It is unfortunate that the current guidelines would not allow this type of cache in other Provinces. I have tried to have another round of Benchmark Bingo get approved but it doesn't seem to fit the current guidelines. Isn't this hobby all about getting out and getting some exercise and having some fun :huh:

The Brass Cap Cache is a heck of a lot of fun, and I think one reason is that there is a little community that has built up around it. There are 31 that have been selected in Calgary so far, and everyone who's into it at some point tries to find them all. We do end up trading emails along the lines of "Did you find BCP123 yet? " etc.

With a complete database of all survey markers, it kind of loses its appeal when I can log three on my street between where I get off the bus and my house. What kind of community would build up around that?

Also, the selection of remote caps is often taken as a challenge by some of the cap community. Check out some of the shots on the page to see where outforthehunt has sent some of us.

I kind of hope the US-style benchmark hunting doesn't get approved in Canada, because it might lessen the fun of the Brass Cap Cache.

Please consider this one vote in a nonexistant poll on whether the guidelines should account for similar caches in each state/province. :huh:

I agree with Reastick. Brass caps are a blast! I like the fact that outforthehunt surprises us with a new location every so often. The caps often are not located in an obvious place. It takes some searching and adds to the fun. I also like the remote ones that I have done so far. So much more rewarding when you have to work for it!!

i would think that NRCAN would love it if someone would set up a method of logging benchmarks. IT would give them a dynamic tracking system. Many of these BMs haven't been found since the 70's although i'm not sure how often they are used these days. i really enjoy finding them, but some of them are on Private Property (through the incentive program) and there is no way as of yet to log them. Maybe i will e-mail the powers that be again to see if they would be interested in collaborating on a website.

Ontario residents may want to try accessing this provincial database

COSINE

COSINE (COntrol Survey INformation Exchange)

Until recently, they charged a fee for access, but now it's free. You still have to register, and they may object to non-industry people applying. I applied for my workplace and had to confirm via a short telephone interview to get access.

Vertical and horizontal control from several agencies, in one (semi) easy to use website.