Etrex Via Usb

I've got a pFranc serial cable that I wired up a few years ago, butr would prefer to connect via USB given the choice. What's my best bet (financially and reliability-wise!)? Get a serial-USB converter (they seem expensive for what they are...) or track down a dedicated USB cable?

Alternatively, how hard would it be to wire a USB plug on instead? I know lots about wiring/soldering etc, but sweet f.a. about USB, so is this even possible?!

Cheers All.

Aidan

You need to be a little carful with the converter solution depending on the software. Basically if the software accesses the serial port via the API, there is no problem. However, if it accesses the serial port hardware directly, it will have problems with many converter cables.

There is one we have trialled at work which seems to be pretty bombproof, working with our own software which fails with most converters. If you like, I'll dig out the make/model, and post it here.

You need to be a little carful with the converter solution depending on the software. Basically if the software accesses the serial port via the API, there is no problem. However, if it accesses the serial port hardware directly, it will have problems with many converter cables.

There is one we have trialled at work which seems to be pretty bombproof, working with our own software which fails with most converters. If you like, I'll dig out the make/model, and post it here.

It really does pay to ask those who know!

Cheers, Tony. This would be very useful.

I've had a few problems with USB/serial converters. My latest laptop came without a serial cable, so I had to get a converter so I could work with some serial-only hardware and it was very flaky. It did work from time to time, but was pretty intermittent.

So my advice would be to avoid converters (unless you can get a cast iron guarantee that the seller will give you a refund if it doesn't work for you)

I got a USB-Serial convertor from Norma Pinkerton, who is the Pfranc agent fo the UK some time ago and it have performed faultlessly. Try this link http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_uk/?pid=USB_G4

It appears similar to the one referred to in the last posting and although not cheap the service was first class.

Here's the actual site for Norma Lynks Cables having purchased a cable of them, I can confirm that they give a brilliant service, which included phoning me, when I couldn't get my Etrex and easygps talking (pre GSAK days). Turned out my version of easygps was corrupted, the next time I need a cable, I will go back to them.

Dave

I got a USB-Serial convertor from Norma Pinkerton, who is the Pfranc agent fo the UK some time ago and it have performed faultlessly.  Try this link  http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_uk/?pid=USB_G4

It appears similar to the one referred to in the last posting and although not cheap the service was first class.

Here's the actual site for Norma Lynks Cables having purchased a cable of them, I can confirm that they give a brilliant service, which included phoning me, when I couldn't get my Etrex and easygps talking (pre GSAK days). Turned out my version of easygps was corrupted, the next time I need a cable, I will go back to them.

Dave

I can confirm that Norma tells you it as it is and if she does not know says so. Good prices and good sevice. If you are not sure after looking on the web site give her a bell and get good simple friendly advice.

Me a negative bu**er was very happy with the service I recieved.

Cheers

Tony