Challenge 2005

GlobalRat

Which is why each and every one of the "4X4' tracks are walkable!

Well most yep.

I would suggest that the now eventually installed attributes on the cache pages should be used to indicate that the cache welcomes hikers as well. I'm sure this will help to attract non 4x4 owners as well.

I have a cache that is on a 4x4 route as well, Urban Tag #2, and have included in the description (prior to attribute days) that it is Hike, Bike, or 4x4.

I also reckon there should be a clear indication of how far one will need to walk. I guess the general perception is that if it is on a 4x4 route, one is going to end up walking 8km to get to the cache. Personally I have no problem with this, and often the hiking trails are far more attractive than the 4x4 route, naturally sans the excitement of almost rolling ones vehicle etc. There are one or two 4x4 caches which one definitely would not want to walk to, unless you have your overnight tent with.

I also think an indication should be given as to the entrance fee for a 4x4 versus a hiker.

Which is why each and every one of the "4X4' tracks are walkable!

Well most yep.

Sorry - should have said each every one of mine is walkable.

Thanks for suggesting the use of the attributes. I'll edit my pages to include them. Good idea. :D (Why didn't I think of that myself!!!!!) :D

Hey Everyone. Great site GlobalRat. Sorry I havn't been here, Internet troubles. My GPS is the only thing working perfectly at the moment (phew).

Can someone explain the Virtual Cache issue?

About the stolen caches, it seems to me that the best time to place caches in more public areas is when most people are working. Obviously this isn't always possible.

Globalrat

Your site is realy great!

As soonas I can get off this rig and to a computer I can acces my FTP I will put a BIG link on my index page!

It is unfair! I only have half the year to find and hide caches! I will have to work twice as hard! I'm only back in South Africa the end of March so my score will stay 00 until then :P

But then beware....

To increase the number of geocachers out there I thought we could try and advertise Geocaching more. To this end I have placed an ad in the Club News section of the Pretoria News, which should hopefully be printed next week. If there are more geocachers, then GlobalRats idea will work in reverse and there will be more caches. Let me know if anyone else places similar ads in their local Newspapers.

GlobalRat: I can link to your website from mine if you want.

My Webpage

Edited by AE_Rodney

I'm a bit wary of just adding caches to increase the score.

But what I'm in favour of is something along the lines of 'dash' caching : A challenge where the computer randomly chooses an existing cache in Gauteng (or any other province) and you get points for finding it (again). That way all the stale caches will get chosen at some point incentivicing someone to investigate their fate.

Actually I don't mind hunting a missing cache. I could not find Grotte Baai (Gentana), Cradock Peak, Vic Bay View, Waterfall Wonder (Walter Sisulu botanical gardens) and Jhb's best View but nevertheless I enjoyed the hunt.

I'm a bit wary of just adding caches to increase the score.

I think you've missed the point here.

This challenge is in no way just about the numbers. The numbers are required to keep the sport growing and get more people active.

As the title of this forum states, More caches, more cachers......

As for looking for those missing caches. Surely if you are the 4th or 5th person that has hunted for the cache with no luck and there has been no response from the cache owner. The the cache should be propose for archiving. This not only ensures that the cache owner once again get's a heads up but that Groundspeak also attempt to chase the owner down. One of the caches you mention is a prime example of a cache which should either be taken over by another cacher, replaced by a good samaritan, or archived. One of the prerequisites of owning a cache is that you as an owner should ensure that it is maintained. If you're unable to do so and can not find someone to take it over, archive it and give someone else the chance to place a cache in the area.

If you have the option of playing a game of tennis on one of two courts next to each other, which one are you going to choose, the one that is well maintained or the one full of potholes. And if the nearest playable tennis court is 500km from your little town, what's the chance of tennis being big in that town and all the kids getting involved...slimmer by the day! And certainly no outsider is going to come and play on your tennis court if they know full well the condition it is in.

The challenge is about cleaning up those dud caches and creating more cachers to get more cachers involved. One only has to look at the provinces where there has been no activity. The caches and cachers are dwindling. Geocaching requires the participation of a number of people... you'll get pretty bored playing by yourself.

As for Geodashing... If South African cachers can't even get round to visiting the caches in the country of their own accord.....?? Don't see how a computer will force them to do it. The current Geodashing game would require someone in Pretoria/Jhb to drive a considerable distance to capture a dash point. The only "local" one is in Midrand. I would rather support the efforts of other cachers in my area by driving the same or shorter distance to find a cache that they have gone to the effort of placing and maintaining. I personally considered Geodashing as I had started running out of caches to do in the Gauteng Region, but fortunately there has been some activity and there are a few new ones. I find it rather pointless to find some arbitrary point in space. I'd rather go somewhere where another cacher has deemed it interesting enough to place a cache, and has therefore invited other cachers to enjoy the experience as well.

There are quite a few newbies which have cropped up in the last month. Hopefully they will find enough caches in good order in their local environs and be inspired to create their own for other cachers to enjoy.

Edited by GlobalRat

Have to agree with everything said by GlobalRat.

This is why we (Azaruk) have decided to hide new caches rather then go out and find the few that exist here.

It's also why I pleaded our case to the Sunday Tribune for an article to try and get geocaching some publicity. (Successfully - there will be a newspaper article in the next two to three weeks).

Hopefully, with more caches and the publicity, we will attract more cachers.

The major problem, though, is one of numbers. With only around 31 caches in the entire province of KZN, it doesn't take too long to find them all. Then what do you do? Let your interest die?

With more caches to find the sport obviously becomes much more interesting and fun. As our experience as cache hiders improves, so the hides become more difficult to find, the challenge is increased, and the game prospers.

I am looking forward to seeing more people joining in, and am really looking forward to getting a reasonable proportion of 'DNF' entries for my caches that are diabolical and hard to find! :blink:

So .... it's not just about 'the numbers'. We need more people playing the game. Therefore, we need a large increase in the number of caches dotted around each major centre. Let's all get out there and start placing some imaginative, well-hidden, regular sized caches and make the game even better than it is already.

edited: semantics and spelling

Edited by Azaruk

Aargh, there is some steep competition out there. Who will win? I thought I was in the lead after placing two caches, but now I see I'm tied with Discombob. No more mister nice Geocacher. This means war! :lol: Gauteng must defeat the Western Cape, it is the way it should be! It is one in the morning, but I shan't sleep until the year is won. :( (Okey, maybe just a quick snooze)

Aargh, there is some steep competition out there. Who will win? I thought I was in the lead after placing two caches, but now I see I'm tied with Discombob. No more mister nice Geocacher. This means war! :lol: Gauteng must defeat the Western Cape, it is the way it should be! It is one in the morning, but I shan't sleep until the year is won. :laughing: (Okey, maybe just a quick snooze)

With all due respect to the other provinces, you are fighting a losing battle.

KZN will end the year with the largest increase in caches placed.

You see ..... we don't take quick snoozes - we get out there and place caches. That is why we will win ......

Your eyes are getting heavy ........

Go to sleep .......

Close your eyes .........

Go to sleeeeeeeep ..........

You will waken when I count backwards from 974,200,971. I'll begin the count in November 2005, enjoy your snooze!!!

:laughing::laughing::unsure::lol::):lol::lol::lol:

Nuttin' wrong with a little 'friendly' competition ! :laughing: But Geocaching will be the unltimate winner. Soon we will have to put up signs that read 'Tread carefully, geocaches underfoot'.

Now THAT would be way cool!!!!! :P

Now there's an understatement :lol: WAAAAAAAAAAAY COOL :D:):sad:

Well, we're off to a good start, with 24 new and active caches sofar this year. Unfortunately this has only resulted in a nett gain of 3 caches, but atleast we have a good clean active list of caches in the country.

Kudo's to those that have made the effort sofar. Keep it up, and lets get more cachers involved. I was hoping to get a greater response on the list of cachers by province, I"M HOPING THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE OUT THERE!! If you know of folks not on the list, knock em on the head and get them to contact me.

As for the site, It's been updated today, and will perhaps receive one more update before my well deserved sabbatical. Thereafter it will receive a 3 week break before it's next update.

I hope upon my return, I'll need to spend a few hours updating it with all the wild activity that has been going on. :P:)

Must hold on, must fight the sleep...

It seems like Geocaching is growing, though I only started last year. Check out my post on the Getaway for this month. And then there's the new geocahcer.co.za website (which I hope will be active soon). All in all, things are looking up. (Except for KZN, har har har). :mad:

Seems like things are hotting up while I'm away. EXCELLENT. As promised the website will be updated again when I return in a week or so.

As for the GP Challenge.... Beetles are a cruising... time to get a caching!!!

Edited by GlobalRat

:lol::o

Well well well. Things have been quite busy in my absence. Well done to all!!

KZN are in the lead followed closely by WC. Azaruk has been a busy little bee with 6 placements so far, not counting the two he had to archive along the way.

After having done a handful of caches in the UK, a round of applause must go out to SA cachers for their innovative and well hidden caches. I'm in no way intending to boo UK caches, there are thousands and I've done some great caches there in the past..... but seen one woodland seen them all almost.

If we keep this up, we should strike the target for the year. 38 new caches so far with a year-on-year gain of 19.

KEEP IT UP!!!

KZN are in the lead followed closely by WC. Azaruk has been a busy little bee with 6 placements so far, not counting the two he had to archive along the way.

And another one placed on Sunday 13th, awaiting approval.

We are having an absolute ball placing caches - and getting more and more 'physical' in their placement!

The only problem is that a cacher who shall remain nameless has suggested that we're placing too many!

I strongly disagree - IMHO, the more caches the better, and, as I have stated many times before - we will continue to place rather than hide for a while to get the cache numbers up.

Watch this space for a couple of truly evil and diabolically obscure puzzle caches coming to KZN soon!!! :lol:

I strongly disagree - IMHO, the more caches the better, and, as I have stated many times before - we will continue to place rather than hide for a while to get the cache numbers up.

?I assume you mean "place rather than find" and not "hide", or is there a difference between place and hide in KZN. :(

LOL! Quite right! That'll teach me to rush my typing, not read what I have written, and press the send button so that eagle-eyed forum members spot the mistake!

Thanks - you're quite right, and no, KZN isn't really all that strange!!!! :ninja:

Ooops :blink:

Thanks to Perdix who highlighted that I'd erroneously credited EC with 5 caches which actually belong to WC. This changes the 2004 cache tally slightly but fortunately hasn't affected the rankings much.

Cheers Perdix

GP is having an unfortunate run with with NA's, hopefully these will be archived or replaced shortly.

I've also added waypoint downloads for the caches by province, and now also indicate if a cache is marked as Temporarily Unavailable. Note that the waypoint download excludes Unavailable caches.

Edited by GlobalRat

I would like to put my R2.00 worth in here (can't say 2 cents anymore, it's worth nothing !!)

The placing of caches is great. :rolleyes:

Yes, there are some of us who really enjoy placing them. :D

Yes, some of us just enjoy the hunt. :P

and...some of us are in the middle. :)

but.... to those people placing caches.....are you in a position to check your cache at any time ?

If someone logs a DNF, can you check it the very next weekend ? or do you have a friend/relative who can check it ?

The reason I bring this up is....

since I started caching in 2004, I have had 3 DNF, all "owned" by someone too far away to check it.

All 3 were archived within days.

now that pees me off......

All the planning, driving, searching....and the money outlaid for entrance fees, food, water etc......and......Nothing !!!!

Sorry. Just had to get that off chest.

To all of you out there......Keep up the good work !!!

I have two questions.

First: Is it possible to adopt someone elses geocache if they have moved away or are no longer able to look after their geocache? I have tried to find out and am interested to know if anyone here has done so. (You can e-mail or send me a message so that this thread stayes on topic.)

Edited: I found out all about this at Adopting a cache, so it is possible and a great alternative to leaving dead caches lying around.

Secondly: If it is (since it is) possible, does this count in the challenge (Factoring in the fact that a new cache needs to be placed and all the admin that probably goes into the process?)

Edited by AE_Rodney

I've decided to include AE_Rodney's link regarding adopting a cache as it is worth reading and certainly supports what we are trying to achieve for the sport in SA:-

In some rare situations, a cache is no longer able to be maintained by the owner. In these cases, Geocaching.com will transfer ownership of the cache listing to a geocacher that is willing to take on the responsibility of maintaining it. Every effort needs to be made to try and contact the owner before this happens.

In a situation where the cache owner does not respond in an adequate amount of time (within 4 weeks, but your mileage may vary), contact the web site with:

The waypoint name for the cache (GCXXX), and

any history you have in your attempts to contact the owner, or

any history of the reason for adoption

In some cases the cache page will already have a request on it asking for someone to adopt it, so no reason is needed.

If you are the owner and someone adopts your cache, we will be happy to transfer it back to you. Just contact the web site at contact@geocaching.com and let us know the waypoint name for the cache (GCXXX) as part of your request. We do our best to be good custodians for the game.

Failing the adoption of a cache, or if there is no-one that will adopt the cache, it should be archived. You can do this by placing a "Needs Archived" log against a cache. This flags it to GC.com who also attempt to contact the owner if he/she is active before archiving the cache.

In the case of adopting the cache, the cache statistics and logs remain intact and it is merely the ownership of the cache that is transferred. Ownership could be transferred back to the original owner at any stage, or to another cacher.

Adopting a cache is however commendable and compliments the aim of the challenge which is to ensure that the sport grows and we have well maintained and active caches to ensure that we attract and maintain a population of active cachers.

However, after some deliberation the following rulings will apply regarding the challenge stats.

1. Only caches created in 2005 are considered as ‘New’ in the SA or GP Challenge.

2. A cache created prior to 2005 is already ‘counted’ and transferring of ownership does not transfer the cache to 2005.

3. If a cacher adopts a cache which was created in 2005, the figures will be transferred from the original owner to the new owner.

4. A cache must be placed, created, and listed on Geocaching.com by close of play 31/12/2005. Close of play will be GMT.

5. Event caches are excluded as they are of a temporary nature.

Clarification of Ruling 4

Even though a cache is placed on 26/12/2005, and created by the owner, if this cache is only approved by GC.com on 03/01/2006 and therefore only listed on that date, it will not be considered as part of the challenge stats. The only way to enforce a cut-off is to look at what is listed on GC.com at a particular point in time.

but.... to those people placing caches.....are you in a position to check your cache at any time ?

If someone logs a DNF, can you check it the very next weekend ? or do you have a friend/relative who can check it ?

As a cache owner, to answer your question…. Yes you should be, and if not one should be courteous enough to place a note indicating when you will be able to attend to the cache ( you may be on holiday or something). If the latter is done, make sure you do it. There used to be plenty of those, “I’ll replace in March 2003” and it is now 2005 and still nothing has happened. :D Archive it!!

As for a DNF log. Generally I contact anyone who has placed a DNF log against one of my caches directly to determine whether the DNF is “realistic”. Keep in mind that the cache may be a tricky one, and perhaps easily missed by a newbie and sometimes even by experienced cachers. In general a DNF by an experienced cacher will carry more weight (as it were) than a newbie. This doesn’t mean that the newbie should be ignored (au contraire). Personally I believe a cache owner should contact the cacher to determine whether a maintenance visit is required or not.

Equally so, as a cacher, if I truly believe that the cache is missing or there is an error in the cache, I do the following. I place a DNF log and place it on my watchlist. I review the cache owners profile to see when last they logged into GC.com. I attempt to contact the owner describing where I searched and why I believe the cache is missing. I usually take some digital pics, which if I receive a reply I’ll forward to the owner. If no reply or action after 2 or 3 months, place a “needs to be archived” log. This has one of two results. It either gets archived, or the threat suddenly wakes up the cache owner. Unfortunately with some owners, it seems one needs to go to these lengths to get a response. It’s most irritating to see a cache owner that regularly logs in to GC.com but couldn’t be bothered to respond to one’s email. :lol:B)

How do I truly believe a cache is missing or there’s an error? Well there is the obvious, coords point to the middle of the ocean and the cache is meant to be on the beach scenarios, there were 6 DNF before you ( I always wonder why these haven't been archived already). I tend to recheck and recheck and recheck coords, and also go through potential errors made by cache owners like datum errors or finger trouble. When I suspect that there is a problem with the coords I’ve found a number of caches by putting my GPS away and scouring the landscape for likely places to hide cache.

Those that know me, know that I never give up on a cache hunt, unless I’ve run out of time, or there is an obvious error. If I’ve run out of time, I may log a DNF, but certainly my log will indicate that the cache is not necessarily missing. I’m quite a thorough cache-hunter, however each cacher is different. There are some people that give up after 5 minutes of browsing the area, and simply state that a cache is missing.

Bottom line, if you are a cache owner and proud of your cache. Communicate with the cachers that visit your caches!!

The reason I bring this up is....

since I started caching in 2004, I have had 3 DNF, all "owned" by someone too far away to check it.

All 3 were archived within days.

now that pees me off......

All the planning, driving, searching....and the money outlaid for entrance fees, food, water etc......and......Nothing !!!!

I feel your pain, been there, had it happen to me as well.

Let me just present the other side of the coin as well (all be it against popular opinion - seemingly). I doubt whether any cacher can visit any one of his hides within a week, I certainly can not.

I do not do this for a living and have to make time for this great hobby in between other activities and responsibilities. To top it off, I often work for extended periods outside the country, where e-mail has been heard of (as has the wheel), but both are still very unreliable, so quite often I can only check in when back in the good old RSA, sometimes months go by where I am unable to check in or get personal e-mails.

Off-course one is dissapointed if a cache is gone or could not be found (2 of my caches dissappeared, 1 was archived before I was even aware of it - this is also dissapointing. Personally, I take, not finding a cache, as part of the game. I do not recommend a cache for archiving unless I can clearly see that the cache has been raided and evidence of this is seen. What is the point?

If you log your "did not find" the next cacher is made aware of the odds that the cach might be gone. Anyway this is my 2c worth.

I feel for GlobalViking who has done a lot of research in his Arc of 30th Meridian, and once he is back on line will discover that his caches have been archived.

I know it is possible to unarchive them, but this seems like unnecesarry admin.

I guess what I am trying to say is to be very sure of your case before recommenindg a cache for archiving.

Grow the game and be a bit more tolerant :o

Edited by perdix

Perdix:

I agree with what you said. I think caches should only really be archived if they are on private property without permission or so on. If a cache has been raided, then it can be replaced. I replaced a cache for a cacher this weekend and another of my caches is probably going to get some maintianance from another cacher. I think team work can help keep caches alive. On geocacher.co.za it recommends taking extra zip lock bags and so on when geocaching, so that you can look after caches that belong to others. I agree with that, since caches are such an important part of the game that they become every geocachers responsibility.

Absolutely. I always carry ziplocks and report on the condition of the cache, suggesting in my log what the next cacher could bring to make it better, if anything.

I we were to archive caches on the basis of owners not responding or not logging on for x period then all Chris Smith's caches would already be gone. Some are in a poor state (Madiba Trail - which I visited - and according to the logs Christmas Rock) while I could not find Loodsberg Pass (which was later archived by somebody else.

Chris' caches are all over the country and I doubt wether he still is active at all (he definately will not be visiting his cahce within a week of a "no find" post), but his caches are fun to find and it would be a loss if they were to be archived. The latest logs for Madiba Trail, show that the cachers attempted to reapir the cache - this is great and is the spirit of caching that you refer to AE!!

On the other hand there are people who hide foodstuffs in their caches!? I complain about this tongue in cheek.

The point that I am trying to get to in my longwinded way is this:

There are guidelines to what makes a good cache. Reference is made to the fact that it should be close to where you are and not contain food, etc. etc. In the end it boils down to using a bit of common sense.

I like placing caches in out of the way places, places that are of the beaten track and which I can not visit on short notice - heck I might need to mow the lawn the next weekend :rolleyes:

Some cachers seem to enjoy being taken of the beaten track by these caches, others undoubtedly would rather have them 2m from the N2 - this is what makes the game great - it caters for all of us. Those who can go caching every weekend, those who like to go caching at night and in women's underwear and those who can only do it when time allows.

I just dont see the need to archive unless it is really, really necessary - do what you can to maintain the cache for the owner - there is already lots of evidence that this is happening and being practised by cachers.

Again, I also am dissapointed when hunting for 40mins and not finding a thing, but if this easter egg escapes you, there are still many more hidden somewhere else!

Anyway, enough babble for my part, I still have a hide to report, and my 2c worth has now suddenly ended up being 5c worth for volume but probably 1c for content.

I agree with both of you.

Bottom line, if you are a cache owner and proud of your cache. Communicate with the cachers that visit your caches!! And despite the good samaritans out there, cache owners must be prepared to maintain their own caches and not rely on the kindly folk. If a cache has 6 DNF's I'd rather see it taken over by a willing cache owner or archived to make space for someone else. If you take a look at these caches with numerous DNF's, no-one visits them anymore because they are waiting for the owner to maintain them.

Naturally be reasonable in suggesting a cache be archived, but do it where it makes sense to do so.

Back to the topic though. WC did a sneaky move and rivalled KZN at the top of the log for about a day, and then KZN bounced back with Noddy doing a double whammy. Things surely are hotting up, let's see if we can get some of those unavailable caches active again.

You have all made valid points.

I do accept the fact that not everone can check their e-mail or caches within a short time span, so I will endevour to be a bit more patient.

Yes, I would help a cache by useing a new ziplock bag or putting a new notepad in.

I would also drop the owner a mail to tell him what else was needed.

But when you are 200km from home, a ziplock bag & notepad is not going to help much when the whole cache is GONE.

The same for the Arc of Meridain caches. We found them. But the micros were waterlogged, the notes inside were just mush and no one replied to our "Found" e-mails. So I feel it was right to archive/suspend them till someone else offers to adopt them or set up a new cache close by.

Thus saving future cachers the same anxiety we did.

I do accept the fact that not everone can check their e-mail or caches within a short time span, so I will endevour to be a bit more patient.

Yep, I reckon the 6 months I attempted to contact the owner was reasonable.

Thus saving future cachers the same anxiety we did.

Exactomondo

I thought I should give some feedback on adopting a cache. I e-mailed geocaching and the cache owner about adopting a certain cache, and after a week it was done :D , which gave me time inbetween sending the e-mail and recieving confirmation to go and replace the cache. It was a very easy thing to do and I was glad to keep a great cache running. I still say that we should get cache adoptions added to our score :D

Well well well.

It's only May, and we're only 22 off the number of new caches placed in 2004. 2004 resulted in 88 new caches, and so far in 2005, 66 new caches have been placed. Unfortunately this has only resulted in a nett gain of 34 active caches in 2005. The upside is that we are gaming with a fairly clean slate at the moment. We are currently only sporting 9 unavailable caches, of which 4 have a high chance of being archived. At my last check through the caches, there were 3 other debatable caches which should probably be on the unavailable list, and unfortunately seemed to be destined for the archive bin.

mmmm, There's a thought, perhaps I should add a sin-bin listing to my pages... thoughts from the community??? Perhaps list unavailables and those with a number of DNF's

After being neck and neck for quite some time, WC has gained a small lead over KZN which is lying second.

Disappointingly, we still seem to only have 3 provinces which are truly active, hopefully the other 6 will come to the party soon. There has been some murmuring of activity in a few of these.

The 66 new caches have been placed by 40 individual cachers. Nice to see that there are so many active cache owners.

Highest number of active caches placed by an individual is still Azaruk with 7.

Again a plea to cachers and cache owners. Support and visit your local caches!!

Where are all the cachers who promised to place lotsa caches? Please help my friend GlobalRat, as he has now resorted to logging Locationless caches, just because there are not a great many caches in GP left for him to do. I promised him there will be a new Brick cache next weekend, but he still sobbed uncontrollably. We need new caches people. Quickly. I cannot stand seeing GlobalRat in this state. And his twitching is really getting bad now… :anibad:

(Tounge firmly in cheek)

You tell your friend Global Rat that we will not tolerate his logging of locationless caches, and i have mailed my contacts at geocaching.com to have these logs removed from his profile ;-)

Also, if he is twitching so much, he should mosy down to Cape Town again, where we still have enough caches to keep him going for another few months :-)

Edited by Discombob
You tell your friend Global Rat that we will not tolerate his logging of locationless caches, and i have mailed my contacts at geocaching.com to have these logs removed from his profile ;-)

Also, if he is twitching so much, he should mosy down to Cape Town again, where we still have enough caches to keep him going for another few months :-)

I feel the same way Discombob. These locationless ones...aaaish (Says I who has shamelessly logged 6 on one day :lol: ).

As for chasing him away down to Cape Town...mmm. We need him up here to place new caches for the rest of us to find ;) .

Aaaah QFC to the rescue for my Friday fix :D

So… what has happened to all those cachers in Gauteng! Here I am, a dedicated cacher who develops an uncontrollable twitch if I haven’t grabbed a cache in a week (ok, it happens after a few hours), done all but four active caches in a 100km radius and there’s nobody out there creating new caches, and now I have to resort to Locationless Caches to feed my habit!! :lol:;);)

This is a message to those of you based in the area, and especially to those involved in the GP Challenge (there are a few of you that are way behind in the deal). You too will soon run out of caches to do! Time to get out there, not only to support your local caches by visiting them, but also to nurture the sport in the area by creating caches for others to find!! This is not a sport that can be played alone!! (Sob..... it's lonely out here ;):P )

Those laid back mountain huggers :P are running away from everyone else in the country regarding the Challenge. At least the Bulls showed them how it should be done on the rugby field, now get cracking in our countryside and show them how to cache!! Otherwise I will be forced to get on the plane again to visit the mountain...schweeeeeet!

Hey Discombob.... I'll let you know when I'm on the visit so you can place a few for me to find and verify coords :P:D:P .... miss that bit of fun!!

Thanks for the concern Brick :D:D

BUT, we place real caches!!!! This is not just a numbers game! This is the problem with challenges! It becomes a watered down numbers game ;)

As opposed to what? Non real caches?? :P:lol:

I’ve read the forum in a fair amount of detail, and I believe that it has been stated quite clearly over and over that this is not a numbers game. ;)

I’m pretty new to the game but once I’m a little more experienced in the sport I’ll certainly try to place a few of my own caches so that other cachers have an opportunity to find caches and enjoy places which I find interesting. In so doing I’ll not only be reaping off others efforts but will be doing my bit to grow the sport in my local area as well as beyond.

I think ALL should be involved in finding AND creating caches. Must agree with GlobalRat that this is a community sport. ;)

I think ALL should be involved in finding AND creating caches.

That is just it. That is what I'm talking about---- locationless caches are not "real" caches and it just gets your numbers up! (this is MY opinion only!)

We should create more "real" caches (Including myself :laughing: ) and stay away from locationless caches :laughing:

Edited by geocacher_coza