Challenge 2005

GlobalRat

It seems that everything in South Africa is prospering. Let’s make 2005 a massive year for Geocaching.

I’d like to extend the challenge to all cachers in South Africa to make 2005 a prosperous year for Geocaching. Let’s see if we can top 100 new active caches for the year, and I’d like to set the goal at +150.

Here are some stats of active caches at the end of 2004.

Caches placed

2001 – 43

2002 – 65

2003 – 82

2004 – 88

Of the 278 currently active caches, there are about 15 which should probably be archived.

Caches per province:

EC – 34

FS – 10

GP – 39

KZN – 31 (Good job, 21 new caches in 2004) :D

MP – 12

NC – 14

NP – 7

NW – 11

WC - 120

The challenge is for each province to get active and place more caches so that we can grow the sport. I also urge cachers to archive those dead caches. On a number of occasions I’ve taken newbies out cache hunting only to discover the cache is missing, and the cache owner is non-responsive. This is a huge disappointment not only for me, but more so for newbies who may well lose interest on what to them will appear as a dying sport.

There are no prizes here! Just pride!! I’ll set up a website shortly with some more basic stats.

In Gauteng, a number of us have set our own goals for the year, and made a deal on how we can increase the caches in our province. GP cachers can contact me directly to get in on the deal!

Challenge Start date: 2005-01-01

Challenge End date: 2005-12-31

The more caches, the more cachers, the bigger the sport. :D

:D:D:D

From my side, I am in to ensure Gauteng comes out on top. Have already identified a few places to place caches, now to only find the time.

This coming weekend I will be in Kruger Nat Park and try to visit a few caches in Mpumalanga, maybe I will up the number of caches there by one or two.

What is the view of the cachers on placing caches like micro caches, virtual caches, puzzle caches, etc.?

I know that certain areas and places will only lend itself towards placing a micro cache, i.e. the Kruger Nat Park where the problem of animals smelling the contents of a cache may destory it, if it smells like food or anything similar and there, the bigger the cache, the bigger the problem of it being destroyed.

Also, is the sport of caching only in getting something for something or is it not more of a pleasure in finding the actual cache?

This year I will also investigate more into the placement of puzzle caches, as it looks like a greater challenge (and the obvious pleasure that goes with it) in deciphering the extra clues / puzzles even before getting to the actual cache.

Also, is the sport of caching only in getting something for something or is it not more of a pleasure in finding the actual cache?

I can but only agree with Warthog. While we need more caches, we should also ensure that the caches are interesting and a pleasure to find. :D

JHB can certainly do with a number of virtual caches (unfortunately there is a moratorium) as there are many interesting places where a physical cache will not survive.... however, let's get those creative Saffer juices flowing, I'm sure we can come up with some nifty solutions

BTW: Warthog, if you're looking for a puzzle cache, try out my Reporters Riddle series :D

I also have a puzzle series planned for 2005 consisting of 4 caches. Coming to a piece of veld near you soon.....

Looks like cache hiding in the Western Cape is slowing down the last month or 2, but I have quite a few up my sleeve, so you guys have got some "caching up" to do still.

well done to KZN indeed. I think I might try and see if I can visit there for some caching this year, as I was last there when I was 12 :-(

Count me in for the callenge. Have already placed a small cache, started another and have plans for a third. Go Gauteng! I also have a good Virtual Cache for the Cape, but that might only happen in July. Depending on the moritorium thing of course.

Warthog: I think some people like the treasure, others the callenge. My friend enjoys the challenge the most, while I like to have some reward too. But if there's no treasure, I still like to increase my number of found caches, so we'll be there.

I propose we start individual threads for each province where we can discuss plans to create more caches.

Whilst I understand that seperate threads will lend themselves to clarity, I for one (being Azuraks partner) am interested in the growth of Geocaching throughout South Africa.

GlobalRat said he was going to set up a web site to monitor the growth of caching...What a wonderful idea.

Question:

Although new to geocaching I have already been part of two placings...which as Azurak and I are a team, does not entitle me to claim FTF...is this correct?

Although new to geocaching I have already been part of two placings...which as Azurak and I are a team, does not entitle me to claim FTF...is this correct?

First question: are Azaruk and Azurak the same user, albeit a number of members?

Personally I think it is bad form to log one's own cache or a cache that you assisted in setting up, especially if you are credited on the cache page. As per example, My Urban Tag #2 cache is owned by me but was placed by myself and Hawkdown and he is credited on the cache page although he is not an official owner. I would say that it would be improper for him to log it as a find. If however he was not credited, even though he assisted, I'd say it would be fair game to log it, IF he returned to find it.

Perhaps you can take this up in a separate thread and see what other cachers think.

GlobalRat said he was going to set up a web site to monitor the growth of caching...What a wonderful idea

Indeed.... nothing fancy mind you. I have the stats running, but will have to wait till I return home to set up the web page. Should be in the next two weeks.

BTW: Mpumalanga has taken the early lead with 3 new caches, and as at midnight last night, zero inactive caches.

I hope the early start of 7 brand new caches is a sign of things to come for the rest of the year. A VERY good start :laughing:

First question: are Azaruk and Azurak the same user, albeit a number of members

:laughing: Shock horror: we have been unmasked!  :wub: Yes we are a two member team, and one of us can't spell! (Spot Susan creeping away quietly)

hope the early start of 7 brand new caches is a sign of things to come for the rest of the year. A VERY good start

Watch this spot, I for one am hoping that everyone will join in the challenge and we can exceed your target for new cache placements.

Edited by Azaruk

Seems as if my previous comment on the above went missing (like a lot of our caches) :laughing:

However, my feeling is that one can only log a FTF once the cache has been approved by Geocaching.com and not at the time of placement, as the cache was not available to all cachers at the point of placing it. This only makes it fair to everyone.

New cacher on the block!

I've been out huntin' - and been a bit disappointed by two sites (gone/vandalised). I'm all gung-ho and have already placed my first - we definitely need more (hell, if I go out as often as I've planned - I'm gonna run out of excitement pretty soon in JHB area). I'm having a gas on the hunt - been to parts of jozi I've never been before!!!!

Just one thing though - I'm actually apalled by the state of our green public areas - I suggest we have a few CITO events!!! Maybe include a few garbage bags in the cache?

I'm off to Italy end Jan and I'm amazed at the number of caches to hunt for - We need more - and I'm gonna do my best to add to the JHB tally.

Just one thing though - I'm actually apalled by the state of our green public areas - I suggest we have a few CITO events

What makes it even more of a shame is that JHB has the worlds largest manmade urban forest. There are some beautiful parks, but few are well maintained :laughing::wub:

I agree with CITO events, AND also urge cachers to lay their complaints with City Parks, some of the departments have become quite jacked up: +27 11 375-5555 or +27 11 712-6600. If you're a resident of JHB, you can also logon to their website and raise an electronic complaint which is ticketed. http://eservices.joburg.org.za/joburg/eser.../.scr/LoggedOut

Once we are aware that there are enough active and keen cachers in GP to make a CITO event feasible....then I reckon it's a go.

I wonder about this country sometimes.......

I recently placed two new caches - "Drummond #2" and "Monteseel"

When they were placed, the weather was really bad, with rain and a fairly heavy mist. This didn't detract "the watchers" though. The Monteseel cache wa stolen in its entirety. No evidence anywhere that it had been opened at the site. Didn't even last a week!!! And it was well hidden! Certainly not visible to the casual passer-by.

Drummond #2, which I dropped in on yesterday, was inadvertently placed in an area that is obviously used by the local teenagers and others as a hangout. The ground was littered with condom packets, bottles and other eveidence of "a good time being had by all"!

I hadn't noticed all the rubbish when we placed the cache due to the rain and mist.

I have archived both caches and will try again.

How disappointing! :o

But it also prompts us to choose the hides very well and ensure longevity of the cache.

Too true! The two I placed yesterday are going to be a tad harder to find.

(And contain brand new travel bugs - waiting for approval at present!)

No more Mr. Nice Guy!!!!

Yes it is a shame when this sort of thing happens, especially as we assembled the caches with a lot of care, filling them with some very desirable 'loot'. I'm not knocking the loss in financial terms, you understnad, that's a risk we all take. I'm glad, though, that neither of the caches contained travel bugs as that would have been even more disappointing.

The experience has made me reconsider some of the places I had in mind as potential cache sites though.

My gut feel tells me to perhaps place them in more secure reserve areas where there is less chance of passers-by finding them, or, indeed, being watched while placing them.

The only drawback here is that some places apply an entry fee (usually modest) or request a donation.

How do the other cachers here feel about having to pay a small amount of hard-earned cache if there's a better chance of the cache remaining in place?

Don't give up hope Azurak. I had a cache stolen on table mountain. I re-hid it about 15 m away, and in the last few months, at least 6 geomuggles have found it (compared to 2 geocachers!), and they all signed the book and were most impressed and thankfully left the cache there (although slightly threadbare when I checked on it). However, a few of the geomuggles did a trade, one even leaving her ring that she had had for many years, for nothing in return!

I'll never give up hope! The game/sport/hobby is too much fun!

I just needed to vent a bit at the disappointment of one cache stolen and the other in the local 'meeting' and 'condom dispersal' site.

The latest two caches will be a LOT harder to find!!! ;)

I'm just going to have to be a LOT more sneaky when it comes to the location of the cache.............

The stats page is up and running. You can find it at GlobalRat.com

Apart from the challenge stats, there's also pages listing the caches by province.

I'll attempt to update the site weekly with the latest stats and cache find info for the provinces.

The server was lingering this evening with the update, so if you see a Last update prior to 20 January 2005, there will be some links which don't work. Hopefully it would have updated this evening. :D

Too true!

My stats for the last three weekends:

Placed two

Had one muggled, the other in a bad place. = both archived

Placed two new ones.

So .....

Out of four placed, two have so far survived.

And then I get a note to say that it looks like one of my other caches has been muggled!

If so ..... minus another one!!!!

Welcome to Africa, where nothing, and I mean NOTHING can be left alone without it being destroyed, stolen, trashed or burnt.

I'll get a link up and running

I have to get someone to do it as I'm offshore and I cannot get through our Firewall to the FTP!!

On the pricing! The geostuff will unfortunatly not be very cheap as discounts are not very good and transport to SA is VERY expensive!

I'm planning a range of South African Geo "stuff" made localy that should be priced well!

Welcome to Africa, where nothing, and I mean NOTHING can be left alone without it being destroyed, stolen, trashed or burnt.

:unsure::D:unsure::unsure:

Indeed. I've just learned that a brand new cache has gone missing. To top it, someone must have been standing behind me to find this one as it was really well hidden and unlikely to be stumbled across by muggles, it took an experienced cacher 3 goes to find the spot which is well camo'd. They would have had to have gone to a huge amount of effort to find this one. Worst of all, they clearly only liked the nice brand new tupperware that the stuff came in, as this was nicked and the ziploc bag was left there. Sadly a TB has also been nicked (RIP) :)

:anibad::D:unsure::)

Farewell to another cache.... I'm not going to bother with that area again!!

When my wife and I found the Randvaal cache it was the same story. Some of our newly found "brothers" was watching us. Lucky this was after we found the cache. It ended up that we had to take the cache with us and come back the next morning to "plant" it again!

They will steal your milk out of your coffee if given the chance!

GlobalRat- Just sent you an email!

Edited by vandermerwe-family

Hi!

My immediate reaction to the problem of stolen caches was to consider placing micro- and virtual caches instead. However Geocaching.com seems very much against virtuals at the moment, with getting approval rather a challenge. There is also the ongoing debate about "lame" caches, with micros coming in for a lot of flak. :P

So my question is: Is it worth trying to set up micros and virtuals in places where traditional caches won't survive, or does one forget the location entirely?

- XV Pilot

I would think that different places attracks different types of caches. I will for instance work from the larger to the smaller, i.e. is a "normal" or "large" cache possible in the selected place? If not, would a micro be accpetable, if not, would it be a good place for a "virtual" cache? The first one to get a yes, must be the acceptable type of cache.

Parks, hiking trails, nature areas would most probably be favourable towards normal caches, but where "cover" is a limitation, micro caches should be acceptable. Micro caches should also not be used as the norm to flood the area.

Micro caches should also be acceptable in areas where wild animals are around, such as our Game Parks, due to the fact that they WILL smell the cache and try to eat it, doesn't matter what is inside. Howver here one must be VERY carefull when placing caches and only do so in areas marked as allowed to disembark from motor vehicles and that the cache is not dangerous to the animals or environment.

Lastly, if we intend "advertising" some of our historic and other tourist attrcations where caches are a no-no, we can then surely do virtual caches in such areas.

I enjoy placing and finding 'regular' caches.

My feeling is that we have to get better at hiding them and, therefore, better at finding them.

I admit to being guilty of making my first caches too easy to find, but, as I get more experience (in realising how good my fellow cachers are at finding stuff), I intend to make the hides a LOT more devious and challenging to find.

I have placed a couple in places where a good hike through the bush, or a 4x4 drive, which have survived for quite a while (still there!) so I guess there's a lesson to be learnt there.

I disagree with the virtual or micro suggestion.

We must simply get better at hiding and camouflaging the cache, making sure that we are NOT being wached, and ensuring that caches are not placed in areas where there is foot traffic, cattle grazing and so on.

I have no problem in placing caches in 'protected' or fenced recreational areas. If a small entry fee has to be paid, so be it. The fee goes to a good cause, the area enjoys a certain amount of exclusivity and access is restricted to the casual passer-by.

I have seen caches placed in D'Moss areas, nature reserves, walking trails, etc, that have, so far, remained in place.

I, for one, have learnt that placing caches is NOT simply a matter of finding a spot and amateurishly hiding a cache, but rather taking the time to resaerch the spot, checking it out carefully, designing a cache that will fit in with the environment, working out how to hide it out of sight of prying eyes, and being a tad more devious with the actual hide.

I also make sure that the hider is warned that the encrypted hint is a SPOILER, so if difficulty is experienced finding the cache, the hint will give fairly explicit instructions.

I would think that different places attracks different types of caches. I will for instance work from the larger to the smaller, i.e. is a "normal" or "large" cache possible in the selected place? If not, would a micro be accpetable, if not, would it be a good place for a "virtual" cache? The first one to get a yes, must be the acceptable type of cache.

I'm with Warthog on this one. My preference is to place a normal/large cache and to try and stay away from a microcache. However, I wouldn't exclude a place just because I can't place a normal cache. The cache size and type will be governed by the area it is placed in.

My most recent cache could have housed a regular cache but I opted for a smaller container to ensure that it would be well hidden. Unfortunately that didn't help either, as the cache was nicked within days, if not the same day.

I think one can get quite creative without having to opt the virtual route. While I think there are numerous places that can benefit from a virtual cache, it would be difficult to control those lame caches.

I reckon an urban microcache can be quite creative, the cache owner just needs to place a cache which is not only a bit of a challege but perhaps a place of interest as well.

The bottom line for me, is that one needs a mix of accessible urban caches as well as those scenic drives in the country. We want cachers to be active and excited about being able to find caches in their areas. If all the caches were placed in the middle of the Karoo, how many folks do you reckon are going to cruise out there to get a cache every weekend.... NOTE: I love the karoo!!! You get the concept.

Personally I want to be able to pop out at lunch occasionally and grab a cache, and on other days get the backpack on and head out into the country. Lost in Dolosse by Discombob in Cape Town, is a prime example of an excellent urban cache in a modern urban environment :tired: It's tricky, but brilliant.

There is plenty of interesting history in this country that most Saffers are oblivious of. I had concocted an interesting plan with the heritage society to place caches at the sites and in return provide them feedback and coord information which they could use for advertising or to provide tourists with etc. (You'll be amazed at how many foreigners use GPS's to travel through our country.... Hopefully Garmap comes out with that autorouting map this year as promised!!). Back to the heritage sites, there are over 5000 in South Africa.

What makes a lame cache??? I've personally only grabbed two caches which I deem to be totally lame.... I won't mention it here.... you can peruse my logs if interested. One does of course have caches which are absolutely stunning, and others which are OK.... hey we don't all live on the edge of a magnificent rain forest or emarald oceans and white sand. Have a look at how many caches exist in that pinnacle of an urban jungle, The Big Apple. Some of the caches I've really enjoyed have been in the middle of the urban jungle, and I'm referring here to non-virtual caches. Almost each one of them has been an immense challenge to find them... tricky stuff.

YES: Our caches are at greater risk than perhaps those jotted around the UK countryside. It is something we have to live with. BUT consider this. If you generate enough traffic in a particular area with 100's <_< of Geocachers tramping through the local vagrants neighbourhood... perhaps that vagrant will move out... One can dream B)

I'm still livid at my well hidden cache being nicked... so will go and have a strong coffee now... :blink:

And hey, there's a lot of talking here.... GET OUT THERE AND CACHE!!

I, for one, have learnt that placing caches is NOT simply a matter of finding a spot and amateurishly hiding a cache, but rather taking the time to resaerch the spot, checking it out carefully, designing a cache that will fit in with the environment, working out how to hide it out of sight of prying eyes, and being a tad more devious with the actual hide.

Here here. My first few urban caches I placed, I actually went and hid an empty container for a month first and regularly visited it to see whether it would survive. Only thereafter I placed the actual cache.

I actually went and hid an empty container for a month first and regularly visited it to see whether it would survive.

This is a good idea. I will include this suggestion on my webpage as a part of planning and placing a South African cache. --- Maybe we can all get together and come up with one set of "rules" of "do and don'ts" for South African cache's We can then all publish it on our respective websites!

Good idea that - hiding an empty container first. I have a few spots in mind, so I'll do that over the weekend. If they survive, expect to see a couple of new Cape Town caches in a few weeks, including one along the lines of D.I.Y. but with a car theme. <_<

- XV Pilot

Problem with these really good cache spots is the number of hits a geocacher can expect to log when a really strong effort is required to get to the cache. Maybe we should concentrate on finding all the caches first (at least once). I've hidden two that really requires effort to get to, with limited or no finds at all...check out "All the way down Moorfield - GCKZ2P", and "Amajuba Plateau - GCM8YC"

You have a point.

I have a couple that are, if driving, 4X4 ONLY, with a terrain rating of 5.

However, each of them is 'walkable', and perversely, walking or hiking is often quicker than driving!!!!!

One of my cache buddies tried mountain-biking to one of my 4X4 caches - successfully.

These caches have had very few hits, but, if attempted will give the cache hunter a great day out in the bush, with little or no interference from 'muggles' as one is in a particularly remote area, the other in a protected environment.

Although rated highly for terrain, there is no reason why they shouldn't be visited more often. Maybe the terrain rating puts them off.

On the other side of the coin, I placed one in a location in a shop, purely to get as many cachers as possible to 'hit' it and thereby give me an indication of the numbers of active cachers in the area. I got some pretty unfriendly logs - but it served its purpose for me.

Urban micros don't appeal to me in the slightest. If I am going to go out caching on a weekend, I want to go to places that 'have something', be it a spectacular view, an interesting trail, a 4X4 track, a waterfall and so on. I would prefer to spend an entire day looking for a cache in a difficult area, finding it, having a braai and then heading home - satisfied and happy that I accomplished something in pleasant surroundings.

The caches I have begun to place in more easily accessible areas, (4X4 not required) have met with very favourable comments and are attracting cache hunters. These also take some time and effort to find, but are certainly proving popular, and will act as the 'model' for future caches.

Off the beaten track caches will always have fewer hits. Similarly caches that are in specialised areas will exclude a certain portion of caches. I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone in SA owns a 4x4.

We just need a good mix of caches, the sport needs to appeal to everyone.

Africard Posted on Jan 31 2005, 12:00 AM

Maybe we should concentrate on finding all the caches first (at least once).

Yep. There are some 34 caches in the country that have not been found yet. Comes back down to the challenge. Create the impression that the sport is growing and more people will get involved and people will start to grab those out of the way caches.

Personally I'm on a mission to ensure that I visit every cache in GP. It astounds me how many GP cachers log a huge amount of caches while on holiday in WC and KZN or somewhere else in the world, yet they never visit the caches on their doorstep. :D

I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone in SA owns a 4x4.

Which is why each and every one of the "4X4' tracks are walkable!

It's a huge amount of fun to take the 4X4 out and crawl through, up, over and around seriously challenging obstacles, but it's also a lot of fun for the walkers when they cheerfully overtake the vehicles without even breaking sweat!

I have always been careful NOT to exlude anyone from the challenge of finding a cache.

In the mean time, check the other forum topic I have started about an impending newspaper article and brace yourselves for (hopefully) an influx of new players. :D