Why Does The 76cs Have To Be So Big?

royta

I was at REI looking for the basic Garmin case for my 76CS. You know, a storage type case. Anyway, they had a large selection, although at MSRP, of Garmin GPSr's. I quickly noticed that my 76CS is quite large and bulky compared to the eTrex series. It's even bigger than my old 12CX. It seems ridiculous that Garmin can't fit the 76CS (memory, buttons above screen) in a smaller form factor. Just having an exposed antenna like on the 60CS trims the unit down quite a bit.

It was intentionally designed to float. I'm pretty sure that its size has something to do with displacing the weight of more water than the unit itself weighs. Some people love the size and shape for fitting it between windshield and the dash. Others prefer the "potato" shape of the 60CS. Clearly, they could have engineered it smaller, since the guts (other than memory) are essentially the same as the 60CS.

No accounting for marketing. My guess is that the gurus at Garmin originally viewed the 70CS as a portable marine unit, and wanted to be sure that you could get both land and marine maps onto the unit.

With memory so cheap, no telling why they didn't stick a 128MB chip in the 60CS. product stratification? Why they don't add an SD card and win over a big section of the Maggie market is beyond me.