Garmin 60cs And Lithium Cells

In the flashlight world (my other passion), it's been proven that the Engergizer E2 Lithium AA cells out perform any standard alkaline cell. However, not every light can handle the additional voltage of the E2 cell. Typically, an alkaline cell yields 1.5 volts and the E2 1.7 volts, with NiMH around 1.4 volts.

My questions is has anyone successfully attempted to use the E2 Lithium (L91) in a Garmin GPSMap 60cs? I don't want to take the chance of frying the circuitry.

Yes, they work fine. There's another thread right now where someone has run their 76cs (same circuit design as the 60) for over 46 hours and they keep going and going ...

Still much more expensive per hour of use than NiMH cells, but they can make sense for special situations like cold weather and extended trips where battery weight is an issue.

As noted in another thread, one of the downsides to Li bats (besides their cost) is a very steep decline curve at the end of their life. They last 3 times longer at full power, but near the end, the battery indicator goes from 4 bars to 0 very quickly. Keep track of your usage time, and don't rely on the indicator. DBleess, please report back on this if you get a chance and let us know how they worked.

The energizer 2300 amp hour NiMH batteries seem to work the best for me so far. I haven't been impressed with the Lenmar 2450's, I use my GPS a LOT just playing around so rechargables are a must for me.

Depends on your usages, access to cheap Alkalines, and your stance on recycling.

I'll definitely be tracking my yield on the all the batteries I use on all the trips I take this year.

I have used lithium batteries in the past and found that they last at least 3 times longer than Alkelin and are 1/3 the weight.

While in the Grand Canyon, my first set lasted 24 hours on a Garmin Vista. (I accidentally left it on when I went to bed). That was with all features turned on including WAAS and the electronic compass.

I normally use everready recharables for day-to-day caching, but would use lithiums for back packing trips.

I use alkaline batteries. They are very inexpensive at our local Costco, especially when compared to the price of the lithiums. We can also save the dead batteries and take them to a local business to be recycled for free. However, because of the inconvenience of batteries going dead in the middle of geocaching, and the hassle of losing certain data and having to recalibrate the compass, I am considering going to lithium.

Can anyone recommend which exact battery I should look for?

Thanks