Idaho Geocoin

Renegade Knight

All,

To make this manageable, please observe the following:

1) Instructions for ordering and payment are in the first post of the thread. Please do not ask for instructions in your post.

2) The deadline for orders is midnight Tuesday, 1/4/05. Payment must be received by Friday, 1/7/05.

3) IMPORTANT: Payments must be made by check. PayPal payments will no longer be accepted.

4) We have not added in any costs for shipping. The plan is to distribute the coins at regional events. If you do not live in Oregon, Washington, or Idaho, we may have to assess a separate shipping charge. Stay tuned.

Thanks.

Steve

Edited by stestardi

Thanks RK!

You know I was thinking that we should form a group of people that would like to acquire one or two of each new coin. I know it is hard to keep up as new ones are produced and it's sometimes awkward to place a very small order. All the members could keep an eye out for new coins and then the orders could be pooled together. Whatta ya think?

You know I was thinking that we should form a group of people that would like to acquire one or two of each new coin. I know it is hard to keep up as new ones are produced and it's sometimes awkward to place a very small order. All the members could keep an eye out for new coins and then the orders could be pooled together. Whatta ya think?

Maybe a new thread could be started called "Just Coined" :D

Seriously good idea ~ Tudles

I had gotten an email from one of the guys from Idaho, telling me about the process they were going through getting there coins made. I was just getting ready to email them back and ask how it was going when this thread popped up. I put in a request for the Colorado ones about a month ago, just waiting back to hear how much I need to send him. The only other coin that I've seen is Kealia is working on one for his area down in California. I don't know how well the group thing would of worked on the Idaho coin since they’re doing the personalization thing, but other than that I think a group effort would be great.

Thanks RK!

GeoCoin collecting seems to be a growing part of geocaching as a whole. One benefit of your idea, is that it would make Individual coins easier to afford as the cost can get spread around more people, depending on the interest in any particular coin. I don't know Moun10bikes experience but I'd have to give up most of a thousand bucks for a production run of a personal coin.

A CoinCentral website where people can see what's in the works, check out the design, and put themselves down for a few coins would go a long ways towards making this sub hobby easier for everyone.

One of the challenges we hit was that once word the got out, distribution which we can handle fairly easily in state became a logistical problem. If the site could handle distribution of a drop shipment of 'outside orders' then distribute them it would help the coin makers quite a bit.

Some initial thoughts on your idea. I know there would be an RK coin a lot sooner if I didn't have to dig up the entire cost out of pocket.

Great idea for the "Coined" collectors out here. I just traded an Oregon and Canada coin for some GOWT (Geocachers of West Tennessee) coins and am always looking to find new ones in caches. But knowing when a state or regional group is getting ready to mint a new coin and taking orders from all over would lower the initial costs and make it much easier for us to collect them.

Great idea, and thanks for this forum post RK, I just got my order in in time.

This is a good idea especially for local groups. I always order 5... one for myself, one for another local collector, and some extra's that usually sit on my desk.

Thanks RK for posting this I probably would have missed it. I try to keep up with coins, but it is getting harder.

You know I was thinking that we should form a group of people that would like to acquire one or two of each new coin.  I know it is hard to keep up as new ones are produced and it's sometimes awkward to place a very small order.  All the members could keep an eye out for new coins and then the orders could be pooled together.  Whatta ya think?

That's a great idea, and I'm in!

(edit--I can't spell today..)

Edited by Shop99er
Thanks RK!

You know I was thinking that we should form a group of people that would like to acquire one or two of each new coin.  I know it is hard to keep up as new ones are produced and it's sometimes awkward to place a very small order.  All the members could keep an eye out for new coins and then the orders could be pooled together.  Whatta ya think?

GeoCoin collecting seems to be a growing part of geocaching as a whole.

Is this something we want to support, though? I mean: collecting TBs is frowned upon, because they're released with a specific purpose. Is this different for geocoins?

Does this mean I shouldn't circulate geocoins with specific missions, and only use them as special FTF prizes, etc.?

So far, I have passed on any coin that I found. If collecing coins is OK, perhaps I should stop doing that.

Is this something we want to support, though? I mean: collecting TBs is frowned upon, because they're released with a specific purpose. Is this different for geocoins?

There is a lot of difference between geocoins and travel bugs. First some geocoins are not tracked at all. Second we are talking about buying them direct... if you find one in a cache you should check to see if it is for tracking or to be kept... the hider should specify that in their log. Those meant to be tracked will still disapear quickly. Coin collecting has been going on for hundreds of years (thousands even)... it might literally be built into the DNA of some people (if you believe that kind of thing)

The best part of geocoins is that in 2000 years they may be the only remaining part of geocaching... what will people of the future think of them?

...Is this something we want to support, though? I mean: collecting TBs is frowned upon, because they're released with a specific purpose. Is this different for geocoins?...

Some coins are released as TB's. Amost all the Idaho coins are not trackable and are not travel bugs. You could etc a Travlertag number in it.

Some coins are trackable but the owner has chosen not to activate it or track it.

Some coins go straight into collections and are traded behind the scenes for other coins.

That's the long way to say "it depends" but if it's not a TB, then its either swag, or in someones collection.

Does this mean I shouldn't circulate geocoins with specific missions, and only use them as special FTF prizes, etc.?

So far, I have passed on any coin that I found. If collecing coins is OK, perhaps I should stop doing that.

I also do not keep trackable coins that I find in caches.

That is why I am interested in purchasing them directly specifically for a personal collection. Since I would own the coin I can decide what to do with it.

For example, my low numbered WA state coin will never see the inside of a cache.

I was only suggesting that like minded collectors pool their efforts instead of making many small purchases individually.

Please Confirm Your Payment Status!

All,

If you placed an order for the Idaho Geocoin, please go to http://www.idahogeocachers.org/forum/viewt...page=10#pid4347, look for my 1/9/05 10:44 PM post, and confirm your payment status. We have a number of orders for which payment has not been received -- if we don not receive payment 9or affirmation that it has been sent) shortly, we will cancel these orders.

Thanks.

Steve

The Idaho Geocoins Are Here!

And they are fabulous. See http://www.idahogeocachers.org/forum/viewthread.php?tid=405 for more information and a sneak peek.

Rob (idtimberwolf) will be getting the coins in the mail to those who placed orders from other states in the next few days. If you placed an order and have not yet heard from Rob requesting your address (or if you have not yet responded to his request), please contact him immediately via his user profile. Please do not contact him regarding additional orders or coin purchases -- the order period is closed, and all coins are spoken for.

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

Edited by stestardi
Whoohoo! Can't wait to get mine! Thanks again to all those involved

Ok, time to start grovelling (missed the order deadline - DOH !!!!)

Anybody up for a trade for one of the Idaho coins ?

Have 04 WA and 04 WestTenn now, expect the 05 Calgary in about a month, also willing to do a buy'n'swap (for example a 05 USA if you don't have one) or the like.

Whoohoo! Can't wait to get mine! Thanks again to all those involved

Ok, time to start grovelling (missed the order deadline - DOH !!!!)

Anybody up for a trade for one of the Idaho coins ?

Have 04 WA and 04 WestTenn now, expect the 05 Calgary in about a month, also willing to do a buy'n'swap (for example a 05 USA if you don't have one) or the like.

For trades, I recommend you hop on over to http://www.idahogeocachers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6 and post there.

Steve

I wish I would have ordered more of these coins. I picked them up on Tuesday and had almost all traded before the end of the night. I will be sure to order more next year. These are awsome coins and I want to thank all those involved in having them made.

a5c5d7a4-5cea-4511-a917-1dd06690b726.jpg