Cache Density

TruFinds

Checking in from the eastern fringes of civiliation in central Puget Sound (98014),

0-1 miles = 4 (2 are mine)

1.1-5 miles = 30 (5 are mine)

5.1-10 miles = 120 (3 are mine)

I didn't go further than that since I wasn't using PQs (and if any of the 98004 - 98008 cachers runs the numbers [or M10B or EGH! or Seth!], they will produce results of higher density that are more indicative of the Greater Seattle area).

I have 12 hides, 10 of the 12 are within 10 miles.

I have 206 finds, but only 37 of those closest 154 - still over 100 caches to collect within 10 miles!

A fair percentage of my caching activity takes place on out-of-state business trips (better than sitting in the hotel watching SportsCenter for the fifth time!). My farthest-flung finds are Calgary, San Antonio, and Maui, plus two DNFs in Chicago. I was prepared to hunt a few in Toronto in Dec. '03, but a foot of snow on the ground and temps of -8C kept me in.

Shifting the center to the cache nearest my office (98027) produces:

0-1 = 12

1.1-5 = 86

5.1-10 = 235

Total = 333, just over double.

1 mile: 95118 @ 17 (not very many people posted for this one)

5 miles: 91360 @ 353

I'm close at 13 from my home cords (plus, there's a huge lake about .3 behind my apartment, which takes up a lot of that space.)

In case you're curious, I own 5, 1 is a MO so I can't do it, and I have, of course, done the rest.

I'm planning one more for that area, but it still won't get me in the lead.

(one mile from my zip code is only 9 caches)

I get worse if I go farther out. 121 in 5 miles from my zip - 114 from my home cords.

Want to know something scary? My best friend just moved to Lumberton, NC... From his house, there are 8 caches within 10 miles.