Cache Density

TruFinds

This topic made me wonder, so I did some math and ...

From zipcode 38135 ( SW Tenn)

10 miles = 107 caches = 1 per 3 sq. miles

25 miles = 216 caches = 1 per 9 sq. miles

50 miles = 246 caches = 1 per 31 sq. miles

100 miles = 454 caches = 1 per 69 sq. miles

There are a few cachers in my area that have placed some real quality caches and I am fortunate to be able to hunt for them. Having cached in other states I know that more is not always better. Read the Logs before you go.

Las Vegas:

500 in 35 miles radius

950 in 100 miles.

Not many lame ones, but they are sinful.

Wow, I've got my work cut out for me. I just moved from Vegas (which MM listed the stats for Vegas, co I won't repeat them) to Plano, Texas. Almost 400 within 10 miles of my new house, and I've only found 7. Jeez, there's 2259 within a 100 miles! :D

I remember when I started in Vegas there was less than a 100 within a 100 miles, and that was in June of 2002. Amazing that its almost 10 times that in two and a half years!

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

i had an idea, i'm sure its not new.

Take your number of finds=F

Do a search from your home coordinates.

Count F caches down the list.

The distance from your home coordinates to the F cache might be a better indication of your personal cache effectiveness than simply caches found. Someone who has 400 caches within 12 miles is generally going to have more finds than someone with 4 in the same area.

My personal distance would be 54 km (33.5 mi).

Edited by tubby and
38 within ten miles.

I own 28 of them, my wife owns three, one of our best friends owns three, and another close friend owns two. So there are two that are not here because of us or our group.

My nearest unfound cache is 32 miles away and is a meeting that has not happened yet, next nearest is 35 miles as the crow flies, several more as the monkey drives.

And yet you still have one of the highest find counts in the MTGC club.

Here in the swamp we have:

17 caches in 20-mile radius

50 caches in 50-mile radius

511 caches in 100-mile radius

Sometime soon I hope to add 4 to these numbers!

I must be a moron. I can't figure out how to search within a certain radius. 
--Resolution

Resolution - Don't feel bad, I don't know how to properly quote!

To search by radius, click on the Hide & Seek a Cache link on the left-hand side of the page of the gc.com site. It will bring up a form to fill out...put in your zip code in the box, select the radius, and click search. The resulting cache finds will be totalled at the top of the resulting search. (My search for 100-mile radius said "Total Records: 511 - Page: 1 of 26")

The Ten-Mile List seems to be a standard.

There are 113 on my ten-mile list. I've done over a half of them. One I'll never do. BrianSnat and his danged island cache! Another of BrianSnat's I have two DNFs on.

On the other fin, my friend, Andy Bear, has 120 on his Ten-Mile List. We've done about half of those. But, there's a big difference on a Ten-Mile List that includes parts of New Jersey, and large parts of New York City (including one on an island with no roads to it). Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx are neither easy nor cheap to get to. His 100 mile list has 3491 caches. My 100 mile list has 3582 caches. Like I'm going to drive to Delaware to finish this list!

23 caches in an area just under 500,000 square km.

Yuck! If you ever want cache density overload, feel free to come to Nashville... My name is fly46, and I'll be your tour guide if you'd like me to be.

If I ever make it down that way, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer. :(

To be honest, I think I am very lucky. I'm more of a wilderness type -- I don't know if I would play if there were so many caches near me, it would take part of the game away.

I also like the fact that I have caches in my nearest 20 that would take anywhere from 5-10 days for me to get. It makes you appreciate the value of a cache.

I find that when I travel in the more cache-dense areas, I usually pick a few caches that pique my interest and I'll happily pass many other caches on my way there.

Regards,

Anthony

I find that when I travel in the more cache-dense areas, I usually pick a few caches that pique my interest and I'll happily pass many other caches on my way there.

Tell you what, you come here, we'll ignore the micros and do every cache on the 'oldest' list and every cache on the 'greatest hits' list.

I've not done most of either, so it'll be good for me too.

I live in Seattle (zip code 98105). There are this many caches in the surrounding area:

161 within 5 miles

497 within 10 miles

1248 within 25 miles

2053 within 50 miles

3649 within 100 miles

I'm responsible for exactly 1 of those, but I'm working on a couple of others :( peace!

A 25 mile radius is about 2000 square miles.

I hope you're exaggerating. :angry:

Exaggerating by 37 sq. miles. For shame! :angry:

Ok, I'll admit that my figure was 1.825% high if you will admit that your accusation of 37 square miles is 1.334% higher than the actual exaggeration of 36.506 square miles. :angry:

Picky, picky. It still means I have to drive a long way to get my next cache when many can bag more in a single day than my total for the past 6 month. But then again I might be exaggerating by a couple of percent. :lol:

I hope you're exaggerating. :D

Exaggerating by 37 sq. miles. For shame! :)

Ok, I'll admit that my figure was 1.825% high if you will admit that your accusation of 37 square miles is 1.334% higher than the actual exaggeration of 36.506 square miles. :blink:

Picky, picky. It still means I have to drive a long way to get my next cache when many can bag more in a single day than my total for the past 6 month. But then again I might be exaggerating by a couple of percent. :)

Sorry about that. Did the math in my head, then posted, then redid the math on a calc and saw that it was a lot closer than I had originally thought. Doh!!

I hope you're exaggerating. :D

Exaggerating by 37 sq. miles. For shame! :)

Ok, I'll admit that my figure was 1.825% high if you will admit that your accusation of 37 square miles is 1.334% higher than the actual exaggeration of 36.506 square miles. :blink:

Picky, picky. It still means I have to drive a long way to get my next cache when many can bag more in a single day than my total for the past 6 month. But then again I might be exaggerating by a couple of percent. :)

Sorry about that. Did the math in my head, then posted, then redid the math on a calc and saw that it was a lot closer than I had originally thought. Doh!!

Not too sure where everyone is getting their math for a 25 mile radius. I believe the formula for area of a circle is 2 (PI) r or in this case 2x25x3.14 or about 157 square miles. :D
Not too sure where everyone is getting their math for a 25 mile radius. I believe the formula for area of a circle is 2 (PI) r or in this case 2x25x3.14 or about 157 square miles. :blink:

2(PI)R is to calculate the circumference of a circle with a given radius.

(PI)R² is for the area of a circle with a given radius.

From Elmore, OH...East of Toledo, close to Lake Erie....

10 miles = 16 caches

25 miles = 154 caches

50 miles = 987 caches

75 miles = 416 caches

100 miles = 1720 caches (added Cleveland...whew!)

I like Toledo, because we have everything from traditional walk in the woods cache (from 500 feet to crossing creeks, climbing trees and walking 2-4 miles), creative urban micros, fake outs, puzzles, etc! Everyone seems to be conscious of the impact on the surroundings as well. Because of NWOGEO, we all know each other, help maintain other's caches and can razz :) each other in general!!!

We run into the problem that caches in Ontario Canada are closer than some in Cleveland but twice the drive because of the WATER!!! :blink:

San Jose, Calif.

5 mile radius-90

10 mile-363

20 m-1391

30 m-1940

50 m-3019

100 m-5147

With that kind of cache density, I would have 2000 finds by now!

we are spoiled. <_<

By my count, the current leaders are:

1 mile: 95118 @ 17 (not very many people posted for this one)

5 miles: 91360 @ 353

10 miles: 91360 @ 640

50 miles: 94568 @ 3305

100 miles: 94568 @ 5425

My apologies if I missed anyones post.

--Marky

We live on the coast, so our radius is only 1/2 of a circle.

1 mile no caches

5 miles 16 caches - found them all + 3 are mine

10 miles 28 caches - found them all

@ 11 miles the is one cache that has never been found by anyone GCA8C8

50 miles 150 caches - found 89 of them - in 2 different states

100 miles 844 caches - found 122 of them - in 3 different states

Not too sure where everyone is getting their math for a 25 mile radius.  I believe the formula for area of a circle is 2 (PI) r or in this case 2x25x3.14 or about 157 square miles. <_<

2(PI)R is to calculate the circumference of a circle with a given radius.

(PI)R² is for the area of a circle with a given radius.

And if we want to get real picky we could determine an arc with a length of 25 miles on an earth sized sphere, then scribe a circle around the midpoint at that distance and calculate the surface area enclosed on the sphere. That would encompass slightly more than a 25 mile radius circle on a two dimensional plane. And if we wanted to get super-picky we could estimate elevation changes within the bounds of the scribed area which would again increase the surface area. I believe fractal math would prove that the area becomes infinite as the size of each piece surveyed approaches zero. But if someone wants to point out that the earth is actually an elipsoid... I'm not even going there.

I think I'll stick with my original "about 2000 square miles" because it still means caches are few and far between around here. ;)