Cache Placement

bikehikecache

I have started caching, and plan on now placing a cache myself. I was wondering if the grounds ofa public school would be an OK place to put a cache. Schools where I am (burbs of Atlanta) seem to try to be very secure. But on the other hand there are city sports practices here(school is county), and the gates are usually open in the day every day (and plenty of people park outside the gates and walk in, there's no fence.) What are your thoughts on this?

BikeHikeCache

I believe caches on or adjacent to public school grounds are discouraged. Authorities get antsy about strangers, especially strange men, hanging around school grounds.

I, personally, am not a strange man but almost all male geocacher are. :o

Edited by Thot

Yea, generally a bad idea...I went after a cache next to an elementary school once, and never even got out of the car. There were about 100 pairs of watchful eyes staring at me and there was no way to retrieve the cache with ANY level of stealth.

Saturday and Sunday would be the only days to do these types of caches, IF they haven't been found by all the kids running around...

If a school allows recreation on it's grounds after school hours then yes a cache is ok.

However you should get permission, you should state when they can look. Most schools have strict rules about who can be there and signing in etc. during school hours. Also keep in mind the kids will find it and plunder the cache. Every male who is looking for the cache is going to feel like a perv (even thought geocaching is ok) thanks to societal stereotyping. Lastly if someone other than a kid who isn't aware of the cache (even if the cache has permission) finds it, it will be called in as a bomb and probably blown up. The kids will get a day out of school, parents will panic and your name will be mud. The police and bomb squad will understand when you explain you had permission but that’s not the story the public will get. The sheriff and county commissioners will consult their attorney to see if they can send you the billl.

If after all that you still think a school cache is a good idea...good luck. I had a cache on the trail outside a school fence by a creek that was a success.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There was a cache hidden on a school ground here in CA that was recently found and the bomb squad was called and they blew it up, I believe in Modesto. They evacuated the school. With everyone so worried about terrorism I think it is best to find somewhere other than school grounds.

Mike

As a highly suspicious 30-something single male, I too would feel like a perv looking for a cache on school grounds where I otherwise have no business being...

I gotta agree with the noob. He is pretty sketchy looking. I would be too snooping around the landscaping and under the benches near a school. Don't do it. Find a park or greenway if you want to have you cache to last and get found by happy cachers. :D

There are several small county parks adjacent to schools that are not open to the public during school hours. Every time I get in hiding mode I resist the temptation to hide one in them. Sooner or later, it would be found by curious students, or somone will ignore the time limits. :D

Possible spoiler for thread-starter/other Metro ATL folx...

One of my caches is in a county park. However, getting to the cache from the park is mostly a PITA. Approaching from a nearby county school is a much better alternative, and while not mentioning the school directly, the description does mention "approach via the right place at the right time".

Finders that have gone during school hours has thus far been smart/cognizant enough to take the harder approach**.

No problems thus far - no complaints from the school or law enforcement.

** - Of course, some folx appear to have taken the harder approach on sheer will. :D

Agreed with previous posters - I think there are enough other places without putting one on/near a school.

I have a small child in school and am very paranoid about people hanging around the grounds.

I, too won't search for school caches if I see them - and I'm NOT suspicious looking. I'm handsome - no, really I am. :D

Agreed with previous posters - I think there are enough other places without putting one on/near a school.

I have a small child in school and am very paranoid about people hanging around the grounds.

I, too won't search for school caches if I see them - and I'm NOT suspicious looking. I'm handsome - no, really I am. :D

133007_1000.jpg

No, not suspicious looking at all :D :D

I take my kids with me when hunting caches near schools or parks. One time I didn't and I felt very uncomfortable seeing people watch my every move around their kids.

I saw one person mentioned it... What does everyone else think about caches on *college* grounds?

Now that is a different story. You have to be pretty far out there to look unusual and suspicious on a college campus. :D

Of course the cachers that like to hunt in their work clothes during lunch, or on the way home might look a little out of place. :D

Check out r0b's wayfinding sign series at Vanderbilt U for this concept taken to the extreme. They were fun. :D I have adopted a multi at NC State that takes you on a historic tour of campus before locating a 35mm, and another one leads to to a common, but unusual location for the final stage.