Ideas for a special treat for the first finder

RoscoP

I'm about ready to place my first cache. I have a location picked out, got a container, got some goodies. I want to put in 'something special' for the first person who finds it. I've seen references about this in other caches, but they didn't say what they put in there, and I haven't been first to find one yet.

So, I'm wondering, what are some good ideas for cache goodies for the first finder. Can be almost anything, something I have or something I would end up buying. If I buy it I think the most I'd want to spend would be $10.

Any suggestions?

I doubt I'll do a signature item, at least not now. I don't do enough caching for that I think. Since this will be the first one I've placed I don't mind spending a few bucks on it. Kind of fun to think about someone getting something cool. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with many 'cool' ideas yet. icon_smile.gif

I doubt I'll do a signature item, at least not now. I don't do enough caching for that I think. Since this will be the first one I've placed I don't mind spending a few bucks on it. Kind of fun to think about someone getting something cool. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with many 'cool' ideas yet. icon_smile.gif

I've come across First Place ribbons in many caches with the name of the cache written on the back. They're cheap and you can get them from any party supply store. I've got 3-4 of them. I usually put a first, second and third place ribbon in my caches.

However...I am looking forward to snagging one of Johnnyb5's walking sticks!

-Mark.

Will cache for food

After comparing Natl Geo Topo! software and Delorme Topo I was so sold on the NG that I put my original copy of my Delorme in our 1st Cache FORE! ( I didnt even copy it!) and it was a big hit...disappointed a few who thought they might be 1st.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

A lot of cachers in this area use Wheresgeorge bills (WWW.WHERESGEORGE.COM) as trade items. They work kind of like travel bugs when placed in caches and of course you can spend them and follow them as they travel around the USA.

So I had 10, 3 line Wheresgeorge stamps made up for $3.50 each and am placing them in caches for the first finders.

They say either "See where I've been, track where I go, WHERESGEORE.COM" or "Follow me across the USA, Enter my Serial # at, WHERESGEORGE.COM".

One owner of a particularly difficult cache around here left a $20 bill for the first finder. As it happened the first finder didn't find the bill and the 2nd finder did. The first finder felt the 2nd one was gloating over finding the money and was pissed. The cache soon went missing.

Generally, I try to make all my cache items interesting and of some value to someone, so even the 10th finder won't walk away disappointed.

Sadly, by the 14th or 15th find, the cache is invariably filled with broken Happy Meal toys, headless toy soldiers and other used and useless trinkets, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 18, 2002 at 04:12 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by RoscoP:

Travel bugs are a great idea, I bought a couple of these (the 4 pack I think). I wanted one for myself and a friend, but I hadn't really decided what to do with the other 2. I think maybe I'll put one of those in there.

RoscoP,

The unactivated Travel Bugs is a GREAT idea. I just bought a pack of eight and that is exactly what I am doing with them (one in each of my next eight cache hides.)

These will make a doubly excellent incentive, as it is a rather expensive item to get ( 7 or 8 bucks for ONE) and it is highly sought after item and related to geocaching.

I would expect (and we shall soon see) that many geocachers would put forth quite a bit of extra effort if they thought they could be both "first" to a new cache AND get a free unactivated Travel Bug for thier own personal use.

If it works out well, I will probably continue this tradition for all of my future cache hides (I always like to give a little something special to the first finder.)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...One owner of a particularly difficult cache around here left a $20 bill for the first finder. As it happened the first finder didn't find the bill and the 2nd finder did. The first finder felt the 2nd one was gloating over finding the money and was pissed. The cache soon went missing.

That's a pissa Brian. icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...One owner of a particularly difficult cache around here left a $20 bill for the first finder. As it happened the first finder didn't find the bill and the 2nd finder did. The first finder felt the 2nd one was gloating over finding the money and was pissed. The cache soon went missing.

That's a pissa Brian. icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

Geocaching Gift Certificates

Now that's what I want!!

I just wanted this idea to get some more light.

Seems like an easy-no-brainer for the J-man.

He can sell them in batches of ten ($1 each certificate) through PayPal and have the entire "certificate" take the form of an email message.

The person buying these gift certificates can then....

A) Carve the certificate number/password on a block of wood

:) Print them out on nice glossy paper on your trading card

C) Stamp them into a coin/dogtag

D) Mold them into clay and fire in the community kiln

E) Sew them into a nice scarf/bandana

F) Scribble them on a sheet of paper or whatever else tickles your fancy.

The point is that we can at add actual value to an item that has intrinsic value. This might motivate people to get creative with their trade items.

All Jeremy would have to do is setup a way for more travelbug~like codes to be generated/sold and a secure method of distribution/reclamation.

People could cache..er..cash in these codes for the various products that Groundspeak currently offers. This would stimulate revenue for the site and possibly lower Jeremy's per-item cost as the volume increases.

What are the downsides to Dekane's idea? (or whovever came up with it first)

Is Jeremy (or his chosen lackey) willing to do this?

I suppose caches could still be plundered but I can't imagine your common thief getting all hot-n-bothered over some arts-n-crafts.

Might help do away with the McTrinckets too....

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

Now that's what I want!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Me too! Why is it that I never get a headless toy soldier? Only one I found so far was a plastic army man left by "Liberty Lover" - who wrote his geoname on thebottom - around where it says "made in China".

I was wondering if I should point out the toy soldier is carrying an SKS (Chinese rifle)...

http://custer37.livejournal.com/

quote:
Originally posted by RoscoP:

I'm about ready to place my first cache. I have a location picked out, got a container, got some goodies. I want to put in 'something special' for the first person who finds it. I've seen references about this in other caches, but they didn't say what they put in there, and I haven't been first to find one yet.

So, I'm wondering, what are some good ideas for cache goodies for the first finder. Can be almost anything, something I have or something I would end up buying. If I buy it I think the most I'd want to spend would be $10.

Any suggestions?

Well in my first placement I put a copy (purchased) of Garmins "Roads and Rec". In another I put a Leatherman Vise Grip tool. Just depends on how much you wanna spend and what the cache is all about.

Gift cards to bookstores or restaurants are good. I've never done first-finder prizes, but on the 1 year anniversary of my first cache (the oldest in Dallas), I put in a $10 gift card to Chili's. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to my cache to add the gift until after work, and someone had already visited the cache that afternoon. So the prize actually went to the second person to visit after the anniversary. Oh, well.

On the toughest cache I've ever found, the hider left a $20 bill for the first to find. The first finder took the bill, but left a $10 in its place. I was second to find, so I took the $10 and left a $5 for the next finder.

PS_sig.gif

I hid my first geocache. I actually forgot some of the things I wanted to put in it (DOH), but I managed to put these things in there. And I went with the unused TravelBug idea. Check it out.

* Travel bug (brand new tags, unused)tb2a9c

* Teddy's Traveling Dog bug TB2A9C

* Glass angel fish

* Box of Snaps

* Superball

* Bottle of Bubbles

* Duck Wind up toy

* Game Chips (for poker)

[This message was edited by RoscoP on July 12, 2002 at 05:28 PM.]

I'm placing my first non-virtual cache tomorrow (I've done one virtual already).

My other hobby at the moment is bookbinding, and I have a leatherbound cache log prepared. But I'm also about three hours' work away from another leatherbound blank book, virtually identical, suitable for a cache log or general blank book usage.

Rather than risk two of these if the cache gets plundered, I'm putting a voucher for the second handbound book in the cache as a special prize. The voucher is a sealed envelope containing a once-only password to email me via the website. When a finder emails me & specifies the cover design, I'll finish the book to spec and post it out within a week.

Result: someone gets a leatherbound cache log for their next cache! icon_biggrin.gif

PS - RoscoP, I've seen other threads warning against using bubble juice as a prize - it has a tendency to leak & can spoil a cache.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

I'm placing my first non-virtual cache tomorrow (I've done one virtual already).

My other hobby at the moment is bookbinding, and I have a leatherbound cache log prepared. But I'm also about three hours' work away from another leatherbound blank book, virtually identical, suitable for a cache log or general blank book usage.

Rather than risk two of these if the cache gets plundered, I'm putting a voucher for the second handbound book in the cache as a special prize. The voucher is a sealed envelope containing a once-only password to email me via the website. When a finder emails me & specifies the cover design, I'll finish the book to spec and post it out within a week.

Result: someone gets a leatherbound cache log for their next cache! icon_biggrin.gif

PS - RoscoP, I've seen other threads warning against using bubble juice as a prize - it has a tendency to leak & can spoil a cache.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Originally posted by evilrooster:

I would be thrilled to get this as a first finder award. However, way too nice to use as a cache log!