Cf Card Gps Unit

Hello all,

Quick question. I have a CF Card GPS unit (T202) and am wondering what others experiences are with these. It seems I cannot get any fix without the optional attenna attached and it takes awhile to get a fix.

Is it my unit in particular or is it CF card GPS units in general. Should I be out shopping?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

I have a CF Card GPS unit (HAiCOM 303s) that I use in a Bluetooth slipper (401BT). Using it with my iPAQ 4155 PDA works just fine. Cold fixes take longer than a hot fix, but nothing inconveniently long either way. I've also used it with a card reader in my laptop and got same results. I've also used the external antenna both with the PDA and the laptop, but didn't make much difference either way, other than for convenience.

It all depends on the GPS chip and the manufacturer. Much care is put into the positioning of the antenna in handheld units - not so much in attached GPS units - so you may just not be holding it the best way to get a proper signal.

This is more appropriate for the GPS Units and Software forum. Transferring there.

i have been using a Syson cf plus 2 card for a while now and in some respects find it better than my vista. i bought it to go with my ipaq 2210. would not recommend this type of set up for serious field use though as it is a bit delicate. although i do have provision for an external ant. i have not found the need for one yet. i find that the cf card gps performs better in tree cover than my garmin, and have found several caches now using vito navigator software on the ipaq.

I have a Pharos CF with a Dell Axim X5 and it works great. It occasionally takes some time to get a fix if I'm moving but not too bad when starting stationary. I had to play with the settings a bit since there was not instructions and I did not use there software from Pharos. I run Delorme topo V5 and love it. It lets me zoom down to 35ft. I know some go closer but its good. Taking a PDA out into the weather is not a good idea. I picked up a Otter box wich is extremely rugged. It becomes heavy in the hand but I usually hook it to my pack or give it to the porter (my son). Its been dropped kicked a couple of times and not a problem.

You may want to check your settings before shopping around. You may have inadvertantly checked something that uses the external antenna only. Just a thought.