Downloading And Unlocking Mapsource

I have access to Mapsource topo east and west and would like to download them to my PC so I can use them on my gpsr. Will I need an unlock code to do this? I recently purchased a Vista c and downloaded the way points manager cd. Can you please tell me what is requied to do this. Also, how do I add any new Topo downloads? Thanks for any help. Stormtrooper

Try this:

This error may occur due to a bad registry value from a previous version of the GARMIN Unlock Wizard.

You can resolve this by going into your REGISTRY EDITOR and deleting the improper key. Please DO NOT go anywhere other than what is describe below. Errors made in your REGISTRY EDITOR can cause other problems with your pc.

To get to the REGISTRY EDITOR:

1) Go to your START menu, then RUN

2) TYPE regedit, then click OK

3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and click on the + to the left of it to expand the folders

4) Go to the SOFTWARE folder and click on the + to the left of it to expand the folders

5) Go to the GARMIN folder and click on the + to the left of it to expand the folders

6) Find the UNLOCK WIZARD folder, click on the folder and press DELETE on your keyboard. You should get a message asking if you are sure you wish to delete this folder, answer YES.

Whenever changes are made within the REGISTRY, you must shut down your computer and restart it. Once this is complete, you should be good to go.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.

Edited by valleyrat

Hey, I guess I was a little too worried. It downloaded just fine. The only problem I had was trying to get brown contour lines on everything . The only thing they would go on was green national forest or natl parks. Duh! The vista c was in night time mode so the back ground color was brown. I dont see any real benefit to the night mode so I switched it to day time all the time. I also have Roads and Recreation. Can I download this as well as topo east at the same time or can just one at a time be on the map? I am really new to this but things are starting to click in. Thanks alot for the help! Stormtrooper

I also have Roads and Recreation. Can I download this as well as topo east at the same time or can just one at a time be on the map?

You can download maps from both R&R and Topo to your VistaC as long as you do it at the same time from MapSource (i.e. select maps from one, then switch to the other maps and select those, and finally download them all to the GPS).

However, in areas where you have both maps only one can be displayed on the screen at a time. Use the menu selections to choose which set of maps you want displayed at the time. So you might use R&R to find your way to the trailhead and then choose to only display Topo maps while hiking.

BTW, both of these mapsets are rather dated with regard to road detail and neither support the auto-routing feature of the VistaC. The CitySelect-NA maps would be much more valuable for general purpose use of your receiver. (But unlike R&R and Topo, the CS-NA maps do require an unlock code tied to the serial number of your VistaC.)

Can I download this as well as topo east at the same time or can just one at a time be on the map?

I believe I have seen this before.

1. open two windows in mapsource, have one viewing R&R, and the other on TOPO

2. select the maps you want in each seperate window.

3. go to the "maps" tab ni either window and select all of the maps (click the top one, the hold shift and click the bottom one, all should highlight.)

4. with these highlighted, copy (control+c)

5. go to the other mapsource window's map tab

6. press paste (control+v)

both sets of maps should be there; be sure the quote is not over 24 meg(vista c)

close the 1st window (without the maps) and send the maps through to the gps.

just a note, I am trying to remember this from another post, and have not done it myself, but I dont think it can hurt.

Bike Hike Cache