How Far Can You Go In 2005?

Milbank

How about we play a little game with are gps called "How far can you go"?

I reset my odometer on my gps the first of the year.

I'm going to see how many miles I can put on it this year.

If you want to play just post a photo of your gps odometer reading here once a month.

If you did not reset your odometer at the first of the year just do it now to start playing the game.

I will try and keep a track of the top ten odometer readings here:

1. Milbank (70.7 miles)

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

6. ?

7. ?

8. ?

9. ?

10. ?

Please don't just post how many miles you have as it's going to take a photo to help prove it.

I know even with a photo someone could cheat, bet lets try and keep it honest.

After all there just maybe a prise for the winner at the end of the year. :)

Please feel free to make suggestions.

As of 1/3/05 this is what my gps odometer reads.

fe9a06db-31aa-4231-b6ef-8c2e27fbd4c6.jpg

Edited by Milbank

Since I use my GPSr’s for more than caching, I have a TB that I use to log my caching miles.

I know of many cachers that have started / been doing the same thing.

Would the mileage off these be acceptable?

Yeah, I know, it takes doing very little math. Just using the first date of caching for the “New Year” as you start mileage and take the reading at the end of each month to get the total miles for that month!

Just my $0.02. SF1

Since I use my GPSr’s for more than caching, I have a TB that I use to log my caching  miles.

I know of many cachers that have started / been doing the same thing.

Would the mileage off these be acceptable?

Yeah, I know, it takes doing very little math. Just using the first date of caching for the “New Year” as you start mileage and take the reading at the end of each month to get the total miles for that month!

Just  my $0.02.    SF1

Sorry, but you need to show a photo of the odometer on the gps.

It's all about how far the gps went. Not just for geocaching.

I'm also interested in seeing the gps photos that get posted.

Wow, interested in gps photo. I'm I sick or what? :)

Thanks,

Edited by Milbank

Wow, interested in gps photo. I'm sick or what? :unsure:

Thanks,

So, correct me if I understand correctly.

Any mileage that’s recorded on the GPSr is acceptable?

So long as we take a photo at the end of each month, of the screen!

This should be fun to try- :)

I'm in!

SF1 :)

dadgum..... I wish I knew about this before. FallenFaery and I put on over 250 caching miles already in 2005. Maybe she has the correct mileage...

Total miles we covered in two days... almost 800! We satyed in the state of Illinois!

Lots of fun!!

Edited by Special Ed

Wow, interested in gps photo. I'm sick or what? :D

Thanks,

So, correct me if I understand correctly.

Any mileage that’s recorded on the GPSr is acceptable?

So long as we take a photo at the end of each month, of the screen!

This should be fun to try- :o

I'm in!

SF1 :D

Any mileage is correct.

This way you have a reason to bring your gps with you everywhere.

Just going for a walk or across town to the store, bring the gps. :D

The more miles you put on it the better.

dadgum..... I wish I knew about this before. FallenFaery and I put on over 250 caching miles already in 2005. Maybe she has the correct mileage...

Total miles we covered in two days... almost 800! We satyed in the state of Illinois!

Lots of fun!!

It's still not to late to start playing.

It's only the 3 day of the year. :o

This sounded like fun, so I thought I would share the picture of my ST that stays connected to the laptop while caching. I have reset it a couple of times in the past year and 1/2, but since i got a Plat I about a year ago I don't think it has been reset. I wanted to see it roll to 10,000 miles.

fb0b7419-d849-4d7d-aabe-a36c7a8f0615.jpg

I have been working on a spreadsheet to keep track of mileage, but still have a ways to go on it, but it is up to about 9500 miles and I am only half done. With my nearest unfound at around 50 miles I am sure I can rack up a few more miles this year.

This sounded like fun, so I thought I would share the picture of my ST that stays connected to the laptop while caching. I have reset it a couple of times in the past year and 1/2, but since i got a Plat I about a year ago I don't think it has been reset. I wanted to see it roll to 10,000 miles.

fb0b7419-d849-4d7d-aabe-a36c7a8f0615.jpg

I have been working on a spreadsheet to keep track of mileage, but still have a ways to go on it, but it is up to about 9500 miles and I am only half done. With my nearest unfound at around 50 miles I am sure I can rack up a few more miles this year.

DRTMN... you truely are sick...LOL!!

The odometer on your GPS unit is notoriously unreliable. If you know how, it is trivial to trick it into thinking it has gone a very long distance when it hasn't moved at all.

So your method is not very useful. Cache-to-cache distance is better. Locationless don't count. I'm at almost 180,000 siince I started geocaching in 2002.

The odometer on your GPS unit is notoriously unreliable. If you know how, it is trivial to trick it into thinking it has gone a very long distance when it hasn't moved at all.

I understand.

It's just for fun and if someone feels like cheating there is not much that can be done about it.

Just a idea I had.

I did not say it was a good idea. :o

Sounds great guys'!

I will be looking forward to the photo's. :(

I just took one of my log posted, edited it to add a photo.

Then I linked the photo to the post above.

I will just update the photo as the time goes by and my miles go up.

I'm trying to think of a way to keep things more organized.

As time goes on and hopefuly more people play this post could get preaty long.

OK, I wasn't thinking when I tried to take the pictures when I reset the odometer, and I didn't think to use the "macro" mode. The pictures didn't turn out well, this was the best of a couple I tried.

zeromiles.jpg

Now, tonite my brain was in gear and I used the macro mode. This picture turned out much better. The first "zero" picture was taken in the morning, before heading out for the day. The picture below was taken tonite, after I got home. 648 miles in 3 days.

currentmiles.jpg

I was going to edit the first post were I have the top ten list, but I no longer have a edit button for my first post. B)

Guess I will have to update the top 10 list in a new post.

January 1/7/2005

1. IV_Warrior ( 648.17 miles )

2. Milbank (70.7 miles)

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

6. ?

7. ?

8. ?

9. ?

10. ??

Any better idea on how to keep the top ten list?

Should we do the top ten list every month?

At the first of the month we reset the odometer.

Then at the end of the year take the total for each month to see who wins?

I was thinking if we do it for each month maybe we would pick up new people every month.

If someone thinks it's to late to start playing this month they can look forward to starting next month.

Just a thought.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Edited by Milbank

Ok, this was a weird month. On my way to New Orleans (via Houston) my GPS reset itself mid-flight. I had 2995 miles on at the time of the reset. I didn't have window seats on the flights back, so I didn't get a chance to "reclaim" any mileage. Since getting back, I've been doing a bit of driving.

30JAN05a.JPG

That's the "official mileage" for me for January. Now, actual mileage, take that, add the 2995 before the reset, plus another probably 1200 for the return flights....yep, I've put on quite a few miles this month.

I thought I would post an update for this. I have been doing a little driving this past month. I also found out that the odometer on my ST Map only goes to 9999.90, so I reset if after that and have added a few miles. All driving! I did manage to get a few caches along the way too.

b25159a5-aadc-4885-97a5-fa8856574abf.jpg

I am also going on another little trip to the west coast which should net around another 4500 miles.

Does it count if I'm flying to Germany and India.... I could put about 16,000 miles on the gps in just 10 days.... Boy are my arms tired.... :mad:

a helpful hint from my brother-inlaw (who, bless his heart, is actually trying to teach me how to use my GPS...once I fugure out what buttons to turn it on....)

"....As for the GPS take some walks/drives around town and get the hang of it. With mine I found out that it works in a straight line so to turn corners you need to mark each corner to get exact distances...."

so, if you take that left turn at Albuquirky, make sure it's a hard left.....

With mine I found out that it works in a straight line so to turn corners you need to mark each corner to get exact distances...."

Are you sure about that?

If so what kind of gps do you have?

...it's yellow.....

(Deja vu....didn't I already answer this same question just today....?)

If you make a round trip so you stop at your starting point your odometer will read 0 miles if you did not mark any corners?

Maybe I'm just not understanding what your saying.

Does the yellow have the same odometer as the Legend?

I don't have to mark anything and my gps still keeps track of the miles.

If you make a round trip so you stop at your starting point your odometer will read 0 miles if you did not mark any corners?

<I guess that's correct - I've been going in circles with this thing and I'm still at zero, so I guess what you say is correct>

<entirely possible>

<I dunno....sorry I wasn't more clear in making that clear....>

:ph34r:

<I'm outta here -- this thread's WAY over my head....see ya>