Updating A New Legend

I recieved a Legend for Christmas and on the box it said that it would hold 500 waypoints. I had read on here somewhere that you could download an update from Garmin to increase this number to 1000. I downloaded everything and tried to send it to my gps and it said that my gps had a newer version than the download. I believe that the download was version3.6. Does this mean that my gps will hold 1000 waypoints and the box was old/wrong? How can I tell without trying to download 1000 waypoints? Thanks.

It's very likely you already have the increased number of waypoints and trackpoints - they were introduced in Release 3.10.

In the Main Menu one of the items should be to see the system information which includes the version number that's currently loaded. Garmin puts out fairly frequent firmware upgrades so it's not unusual for the box and printed manuals to be outdated compared to the actual product.

The latest firmware for the Legend (original, not color) should be 3.60, what version does your GPS have on it, should be able to find it by:

1. Go to your menu

2. Go to SETUP

3. Go to SYSTEM

4. Use joystick to scroll 1 place to the left and click

5. Go to SOFTWARE VERSION, click

If you have 3.60, you should have the latest.

Hope this helps.

Bozz

Dang! I guess we can expect a firmware update for the Legend soon!

Not necessarily. Garmin has done this before where a new firmware release starts appearing on new units but isn't on the website. In the past that's usually been because they made a little change of a hardware component and the firmware had to be modified accordingly. Say they got a new supplier for the serial port chip and it needs a different initialization. So they modify the firmware so it'll work ok with both new and old chips. But the new firmware has no new user features and therefore there's no point in making it downloadable from the website.