Discussion On Jv2339 & The National Map

bicknell

So last night I was browsing all the available maps online and I ran across The National Map. Since it has historical road information it's highly useful in an area like this one.

Please see a very zoomed in map I downloaded from there at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/natmap26610320476531.pdf.

First notice the red and white roads. These are the oldest roads, and I believe the ones described in the data sheet. You can see the V where they come together, the GPS takes you to the south side of that spot.

Now notice what has happened. First "waxpool" was moved to the west to intersect at a 90 (the yellow line). This probably happened when the roads were first paved. Then it was realigned to line up with Gresham, the grey line. I believe this happened at the same time that Farmwell road (on the map, waxpool is the name actually used to the east) was upgraded to a four lane divided highway, also in grey. This is the first I remeber of the area. Much more recently (2 years ago?) waxpool was moved further west, now aligning with smiths switch. The greshman alignment is still there, but no longer used.

Now, going back to the original intersection. You'll notice a grey line going off to the south-east. I believe that was never more than a dirt road, and it no longer exists. What we were able to find was the remants of that leaving the south side of the now four lane divided highway.

Now, I have no idea how accurate the road data is in the National Map. It looks fairly accurate (at least here) to me. While the south side of the road is still undeveloped pasture, the north side of the highway has been completely redeveloped into office parks. If this data is accurate, based on where the four lane highway was put in, the development to the north, and the description of the mark, I do belive the mark must be gone.

Anyone know how accurate these maps might be? Are the roads surveyed with that degree of precision, particularly with the older ones? If they are accurate I think this is going to be an invaluable tool in a location like this one that is rapidly changing.