New Cache Not Yet Approved

Team WRK&FSH

I have a question I hope this group can assist me with.. If you know the waypoint name GC# is there a way to find the cords before the cache is approved? Here in hampton roads we play a "hot potato" game with a travel bug and it is in a cache that is waiting for approval.

Thanks

Hope to see you on the trails (or at least in the logs)

Mark of

Team WRK&FSH

Here in hampton roads we play a "hot potato" game with a travel bug and it is in a cache that is waiting for approval.

Don't mean to throw cold water on your race to grab the TB, but please keep in mind why geocaches go through a review process. As a cache reviewer I regretfully have to decline to list caches at times because they are located in places that are inappropriate, illegal, or unsafe.

Besides being arrested or hurt looking for your travel bug, you may find that you grabbed a TB out of a cache that is going to be moved or archived. Then how do you log it? Why not just wait and play it safe? :)

~erik~

We have a similar contest going between a couple of Valley Geocachers. Those who participate consider it unfair, though perhaps not unethical, to divulge the coords before the cache is approved and listed.

But then it's just a game. . . Try taking steroids :)

For conversion from Decimal Degrees to Degrees/Decimal Minutes, try multiplying the decimal figure by 60, e.g. .482 times 60 = 28.92 thus W76° 28.92

Edited by valleyrat
I wouldn't normally grab a bug from an unapproved cache but it is kinda dirty pool to put the bug in a cache that can't be seen yet to keep it in your possesion for a longer period of time. That is why I fest it would be acceptable to give some help to retrieve the bug.

There's nothing "dirty pool" about it. They're just saving themselves a second trip out to the cache, and making the bug available to be found as soon as possible. If you're putting out a new cache, and want to start it out with some tbugs, it's standard procedure to log the bug into the cache when you submit it for approval.

The alternative is to wait until the cache the cache is approved, then make another trip to it in order to place the tbug in the cache. That would make it an even longer time before someone can get the bug, rather than logging it into the cache as early as possible. Your argument doesn't make sense.

I have a question I hope this group can assist me with.. If you know the waypoint name GC# is there a way to find the cords before the cache is approved? Here in hampton roads we play a "hot potato" game with a travel bug and it is in a cache that is waiting for approval.

Thanks

Mark of

Team WRK&FSH

CHEATER!!

I wouldn't normally grab a bug from an unapproved cache but it is kinda dirty pool to put the bug in a cache that can't be seen yet to keep it in your possesion for a longer period of time. That is why I fest it would be acceptable to give some help to retrieve the bug.

There's nothing "dirty pool" about it. They're just saving themselves a second trip out to the cache, and making the bug available to be found as soon as possible. If you're putting out a new cache, and want to start it out with some tbugs, it's standard procedure to log the bug into the cache when you submit it for approval.

The alternative is to wait until the cache the cache is approved, then make another trip to it in order to place the tbug in the cache. That would make it an even longer time before someone can get the bug, rather than logging it into the cache as early as possible. Your argument doesn't make sense.

For a "normal" bug, I agree with you Prime Suspect, but for a "hot potato" type game bug, unless the stated rules of the game (however the game was organized by the players) that it's OK to do so, I agree with webscouter that it's kinda "dirty pool" to place the bug in an unapproved cache.

Say the goal is to keep the bug on your side of "the line" for as long as possible. (Which I'm guessing is the point of the game that the original poster mentioned) If putting bugs into unapproved caches is OK for this game, what's to stop someone from creating a cache page, "dropping" the bug there, but unchecking the "this cache is active" box, so that it NEVER gets approved? Would you think that was OK or agree that it's dirty pool?

Yes, the object of the game is to keep the travel bug in the other teams territory. This round starts when the bug moves so it sitting in this cache is not gaining or losing points for either team. Originally I was going to start the game with most of the players scratching their heads wondering how we grabbed it. But decided to just let it ride.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mark

Team WRK&FSH

Hot potato issues aside, if you are worried about someone figuring out the coordinates of an as yet unlisted cache via the TB page don't "drop" the TB into the cache until after it is approved. A second trip to the cache is not necessary if you saved the TB's ID number.

On the hot potato issue it seems a little low to place said bug in said cache. :D