Cheap & Durable Womens Winter Boots

TruFinds

I have been having the darndest time finding good winter boots for walking on a snowy campus & for caching - that are under $80. I am really cheap, so i guess i want my cake and eat it too. I am looking for a (slightly?) over-the-ankle, waterproof boot that you don't feel the every pebble underfoot. Also, a liner would be nice, but not necessary. I found some warm & comfortable Columbia boots at either Gander mtn or Dicks - but they forced my ankle forward like ski boots, so that was a no-go.

Ladies, tell me what you wear. If i can't find any near home, i'll order online somewhere or start looking for boy's boots.

thanks much!

The right boot is very specific to your foot. The best way to find the right boot is to go to a good outdoor store and have someone that is knowledgeable about boots measure your foot, i.e. length, width and volume, and assist you in finding the right type of boot for you. You can also go to the stores and try on all the available boots until you find one that is comfortable. Don't be embarrassed to walk around in them for a while. Take the type of socks you plan to wear with the boots to make sure there is room, use inclines or walk on a tread mill at the store to get a feel for how the boot will rub your Achilles or hurt the top of your foot or toes.

Get a quality, name brand boot, i.e. Asolo, Columbia, La Sportiva, Lowa, Merrell, Montrail, Salomon, Tecnica or Vasque,.

There are some great buys at Sierra Trading Post. You may get lucky and find a pair that fit well and be able to get them cheaper at Sierra Trading Post.

As for suggestions on boots, my wife has a pair of Montrail Solitudes- all leather(not Gor-Tex), 5 years in May. They have held up well and with yearly treatments they stay waterproof. She is size 7 1/2 with a low volume foot.

My sister has Asolo FSN ?? Gor-Tex - leather and fabric, Light weight, easy break in, and waterproof, 3 years no problems. She has a size 9 foot , medium to large volume. She is also very pleased with a pair of Merrell Winter Mocs-waterproof and insulated but below ankle.

I have Salomon STL 7 - full leather backpacking boots, 3 years with lots of punishment and they have held up well.

I hope this helps.

Until this Christmas my wife just wore her waterproof (meaning Gore-tex liner), leather Lowa hiking boots for winter snow travel. They do the trick unless it gets down well below zero. If there is deep snow, she just adds a pair of gaiters to keep it out of the boots.

For Christmas I got her Columbia Bugaboots (purchased at Sierra Trading Post for $64) which she seems to really like. She wore them while snow caching/hiking over new years weekend and said they were very comfortable.

But since money is an issue I'll echo GEO.JOE and advise you to go with a good pair of waterproof hiking boots. They will do the trick unless you're encountering well below zero temps and you can use them all year long. He named some good mfrs and I'll also add Rachlie, Scarpa (formerly Fabiano), Danner, LL Bean, Zamberlan and Alcio.

Though you can save a lot of money by purchasing online at places like Sierra Trading Post, only do it if you know exactly what boot you are looking for, or be prepared to send a few back until you get a good fit (wear them around the house but not outdoors if you think you might need to return them. Some places won't accept a return if its been worn outdoors). A bargain boot is no bargain if it hurts your feet and causes blisters. But once you do find a brand that fits well, you can usually bet that other models of that brand will fit similarly. So when you find a brand that fits you well, stick with it.

I also wear my hiking boots for most outdoor winter travel. Currently I'm using LL Bean Cresta Hikers and in previous years my leather and my fabric/leather Salomons worked fine (both were Gore-tex). If its super cold, or if I'm going to be relatively still (as when ice fishing) then I go with pac type boots like Sorel (or the formentioned Bugaboots), but most of the time hiking boots and a good pair of Smartwool socks are all my wife and I really need.

Edited by briansnat

check ot cabela's. they have other brands like columbia and sorrell, in addition to their own. (sorrells are worth every penny, by the way) their own are great. i bought their avalanche model, which they bill as feeling like a hiking boot with pac boot warmth, for snowmobiling. i've worn a lot of different cold weather boots over the years, and these are perfect. waterproof, comfy, temp rated to some freaky thing like -40. i can walk the dog in them, and still wear them for 8 cold hours on the sled trails. as a bonus, they're clean-cut enough to throw back on for dinner and look fine with jeans--no clunk, clunk, clunk!! as far as cold weather and comfort, i've tried more stuff than i can name and no one beats cabela's for variety, price, service, and quality. don't be afraid to buy men's gear for yourself either, it's often made tougher, more highly insulated, or priced a bit less than women's models due to plainer colors!

-denali

p.s. buy at least one size up and wear thin socks--your feet will be cold in any boot if they are stuffed in with heavy socks. the lightest smartwool hikers or thin poly socks sold as "first layer" or "linings" are generally all you need with good boots. enjoy!! :)

:)

LLBean.com The only source for women's caching shoes/clothes. Always check out their clearance/on-sale section at all times of the year. I order from them once-a-month; I have several pairs of hiking shoes for the average of 19.99-29.99. Our 1NatureFamily gets all of our caching clothing-gear there. Best of luck, and happy new year. Leslie

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

I have found about 2 pair of decent women's boots in our local stores. they just didnt have my size and all the others were about $100, but didnt look sturdy. Since i have found no "real" boots for women, I am beginning to thing that they want us barefoot & in the kitchen rather than outdoors caching!!