New Geocachers In South Carolina

Spamiam

Welcome Spam! B)

I'm new to geocaching myself. I started late November 2004 and am really excited about it. I to really needed another hobby. B) I live in Easley SC, so we'll be visiting some of the same caches. I tend to enjoy the loong walk caches along trails, lakes and in the mountains. Tomorrow, my wife and I are going towards the mountains above Walhalla for some caching. If you ever have a question or comment you want to share about our areas caches, I'd love to hear.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you! B)

RtheJudge

Great to have new geocachers in the area. The mountains in the Oconee-Pickens area have some great caches. Most include a nice hike and many include a visit to a waterfall.

RtheJudge I'm a little upset though. You beat me to hiding two caches in the Walhalla area. Fish Pond Micro and Sertoma. I work about 5 miles from each. I guess I will have to find another place for my first hidden cache.

Again welcome to the sport.

andersonranchero

Hi... I'm new to this... I heard about this from a friend at work... And boy am I surprised how huge of a thing this is . I can't wait til friday ( my day off ) to try this out. It sounds like a lot of fun, only problem is I can't convince my boyfriend to give it a try and that sucks... I guess he's just a stick in the mud.... So hi to everyone and hopefully y'all will see more posts from me once I get started.

Citty

BrettandCitty:

Where are you in SC? If you are close to us, you are welcome to come along.

My husband never used to go with us. I would take my 3 girls out by myself, then he realized he was missing out on the fun we were having, so now he goes with us every weekend. Occasionally I still go without him.

Keep working on the BF, he'll go eventually.

::ears perk up:: did I hear "new geocacher in Columbia"

I am 22, USC student, a geoholic and would really love to show some newbies the ropes around town so they do not look at a cache by Tinsparrow or The Commissur and think "hey, this would be a fun first cache for me to fine" WRONG!!!!!

Wait until you hit about 500 finds then attempt them

For anyone who is new in the Columbia, SC area or near by I would highly recommend you do a search for event caches in the area. There will be a geoholics meeting and a meeting in Camden within about a weeks time of each other. I highly recommend attending these because it is a great way to network and meet new people. Trust me, I have made a lot of great geo-caching friends though these events and it also helps to have people to call if your stuck on a cache and they can provide you help. So I highly suggest these meetings, they are fun, informal, always a raffle for TB's and other prizes. Plus, shhhh don't tell anyone, you log it as a find and it counts towards your offical find count ;)

Hi... I'm new to this... I heard about this from a friend at work... And boy am I surprised how huge of a thing this is . I can't wait til friday ( my day off ) to try this out. It sounds like a lot of fun, only problem is I can't convince my boyfriend to give it a try and that sucks... I guess he's just a stick in the mud.... So hi to everyone and hopefully y'all will see more posts from me once I get started.

Citty

I let a GPS go unused for well over a year because I had a BF at the time who said he'd go. Well he never did. And I eventually got rid of him.

My advice, check out the SCGA website and network to find other cachers in your area. Go out with them. That's what I did. And heck, I even got a new BF out of the deal. Nice little bonus.

SCGA website is a good site but sadly the only real feature that is updated is the new caches, but this is a good way to locate event caches.

To start out with, look up these caches in keyword search

PEUSC Micro 1 (On the Riverwalk in W. Columbia

PE USC Micro 2 (At the fitness/wellness center)

Buried at the Graveyard (Near the soccer field at USC, but NOT in the graveyard)

Once you get the hang of it and start to understand how to think like a geocacher, things will come more natural to you when it comes to searching. There are a few multi-stage caches also that have final locations on campus. For now, I only recommend one, and that is "Cruise The Campus"

A. Gal, no one was mad or upset you got the cache in the garden at Hartsville, because we had been looking for a while and needed the new two fresh pair of eyes to help us look.

What the heck, you changed your name! I had to do a double take to realize it was you, the pe dude. What made you change your name?

Oopss sorry...yeah everyone, Geoholic28 is me pe4meusc

I changed it because it was getting annoying to have to say it, and it was a little long. I started using Geoholic28 on a local geo-forum and just went a head and made the offical change.

Same great taste and flavor, just a new name :grin::(