Printing Your Own Geocache Stickers

I imagine Copyright shouldn't be too much of a problem PROVIDED you don't use the Geocaching.com logo. I've seen a couple of US threads where GC.com have gotten a bit upset (quite justifiably) with people using their logo. I think also if your printed ones were very similar to GC.com ones there could potentially be issues.

Just have to think creatively!!

...my 2 cents worth (sorry - I'll never get used to this 'pence' thing!!)

I imagine Copyright shouldn't be too much of a problem PROVIDED you don't use the Geocaching.com logo. I've seen a couple of US threads where GC.com have gotten a bit upset (quite justifiably) with people using their logo. I think also if your printed ones were very similar to GC.com ones there could potentially be issues.

Just have to think creatively!!

...my 2 cents worth (sorry - I'll never get used to this 'pence' thing!!)

Errrrm, I thought I read somewhere the state of affairs was the logo was free for the geocaching communitity to use as long as not using it in a sales capacity i.e selling item with the logo without permission.

I try to find a reference....

ah here...

Logo usage guidelines

The following snippet is quoted from that page...

Acceptable non-commercial uses of the Groundspeak Geocaching Logos:

The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used on non-commercial Web pages, where the context in which the Groundspeak Geocaching Logos is/are placed portrays Geocaching and Groundspeak in a positive light. You will need to include the following language in small text somewhere on the page where the Groundspeak Geocaching logo appears: "The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is a trademark of Groundspeak, Inc. Used with permission." Please make the "Groundspeak, Inc." part of the statement a link to our home page (http://www.Groundspeak.com).

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com.

Now that blank stickers are now freelay available from PCWorld etc and also that modern inks dont run in the wet, is there any reason why we cant print our own stickers to go on containers etc similar to the bought green ones? Is there any copyright issue?

See my other post on this thread for the copyright (non)-issue.

I have used logo on cache stickers, log book covers, photo keyring trade items etc, others do the same ...go for it. There are different 3rd party geocaching labels in several file formats kicking about on the net and many have been linked from this forum in the past. A label I made is kicking around on the net somewhere, a pdf document with user editable fields.

Not seen these labels you mention at PC world myself, any good? Some degree of being UV and weather proofing? The USA have had do-it-yourself 'bumper stickers' for years and some of the brands I understand are very good for outdoor practical use.

Errrrm, I thought I read somewhere the state of affairs was the logo was free for the geocaching communitity to use as long as not using it in a sales capacity i.e selling item with the logo without permission.

<embarrassed> Yes, OK... Well, it was late, and I was tired... Afraid I was mixing it with a discussion on a 'competitor's board a while back.</embarrassed>

Thanks for correcting me! :)

Take a look at Avery Denison Home Page.

Example of labels available:

White Heavy Duty Labels - Laser - L7068

Durable polyester labels for outdoor, industrial and warehouse use. Waterproof, weatherproof and resistant to oil, detergent and grease. Stick to metal, glass, plastic and wood.

Size 199.6 x 143.5 mm

Amount per sheet 2

Colour White

Usage Ideal for use outside. Can be used in freezers.

Printers Laser

Features

Markproof UV resistant. Working temperature -40 to 80 degrees

http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/home/home.jsp

Cheers, NIBBO :D