HMMM.. i wonder on this one???

SunCrush

I had a great idea today on where to hide my 2 next caches out in the great state of NJ... but i was wondering if I might be just dreaming or could it be reality. Can you place cache's out and around Rest Areas on major highways??? Say like for instance 295 or 95. Just curious to see if any one knows a bit about this, if you can or not. Thx icon_cool.gif

Not a bad idea. Just make sure you hide them well and far enough from the area to reduce the chance of plundering.

A lot of people pull off at rest areas and take a short walk into the woods to find the mens room, or look for a hidden spot for a quick romantic interlude. I know, as I've encountered them while looking for the mens room (and may have done something similar back in my college days...but I don't remember much from that period of my life).

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 18, 2002 at 07:25 PM.]

There are two rest stops which I frequently pass. One is on I-78 and the other is on I-287. I'll leave it up to the reader with a map of Somerset/Morris county to figure out which ones, based on my published location.

I have had several ideas in my head - one for the rest stops, and another multi-level puzzle cache. I even started to put together a container, and goodies.

Not wanting to step on anyone's toes, especially since the original poster has the same idea. I don't want to steal anyone's thunder!

Excuse me, but I have only lived here for a year and have never voted in this state. I lived in Florida when they screwed up the Gore/Bush race... but hey I wasn't a rich idiot who couldnt punch there cards right... we used markers where i lived in FL. So, I have no idea who that person you said i voted for is.. and to be honest i think our governer looks like a panisy a$$. Any whoo... I really dont care who u r or what you think about me. Actually.. i think i might have a new friend someone like me... MOUTHY!! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SunCrush & Traumajunkie21:

Can you place cache's out and around Rest Areas on major highways??? Say like for instance 295 or 95. Just curious to see if any one knows a bit about this, if you can or not. Thx icon_cool.gif

A geocaching friend in California and I were thinking of starting the coast-to-coast I Hate I-80 series of caches. (Lots of other cachers would have to fill in the states in the middle of course.) That plan got shelved so if you want to start that, feel free do so.

One thing to be careful about is at some rest areas, everything outside the parking area is fenced off and marked No Trespassing. Also, you'd have to be careful to avoid placing caches in spots that might be cleared out by landscapers.

And I haven't read the many columns of fine print on the signs you see at every NJ Turnpike entrance to find out if geocaching is prohibited. icon_smile.gif