Rehiding Caches? Who Decides?

justybug

just a quick note for future reference. i was checking on a cache i was the last finder on, and the next person writes in the log that they rehid it due to it being out in the open. i left it exactly where and how found, it wasn't visible from any travel path, and basically, if you found it you had to be looking for it.

is it common practice for people to rehide things where they think they should go, or to leave where and how they were found?

i realize i'm really new here, but i'm not trying to make my own rules as i go.

just wondering what other people's take is on this.

The general rule is to leave it as you found it and in all cases hide it in such a way that someone casually walking by will not see it. Don’t take it personally if someone after you notes, “re-hid it better than I found it.” People’s perception of what qualifies for effective camouflage differs. Personally, I think a pile of parallel sticks or a combination of parallel sticks and sticks at right angles on top of a cache are rather suspicious, but I see it all the time. As for moving a cache, that is a matter of debate. I have seen notes from experienced cachers stating that they moved the cache back to where is should be (it is not uncommon for people to re-hide a cache in a different location from where they found it - - I don’t know how this happens but it does). My advice for someone just starting, however, is to not move the cache location even if you think it is in the wrong place. Instead, note in your log that the cache seems to be x feet from the coordinates given or that you suspect the cache has moved. The cache owner is e-mailed a copy of every log and this will put them on notice. They will be able to check it during their next maintenance visit.

Welcome to the game.

In our case, it's mostly common sense that guides us.

On one occasion, we found the cache on the ground in the open, where it had apparently been dropped by a muggle. We re-hid it at the indicated coords and informed the owner that it was in "The hollow in the elm tree at the posted coordinates."

Yesterday, we located a well-hidden cache, but as we were picking it up for examination, a muggle saw us. He stopped and stared.

In this case, while he was watching, we took the cache to the truck and drove away for lunch.

Returning an hour later, we replaced the cache about six feet from the original location -- still within the accuracy range of the GPSr. Upon returning home, we emailed the owner with our actions, so he could go back and place it in the original location if he wished -- they live a short distance from the cache.

I believe the most important point is that if you move it, be sure you have a valid reason, then always inform the owner with an exact location -- not just the coords, something like, "It's now under a large rock, 38" east of the largest fence post."

Edited by valleyrat

It's not uncommon to find a cache out in the open either due to a non-cacher or more likely an animal. I'll put the cache back in what looks like the most appropriate spot and note the re-hide in my log. I'll also contact the cache owner directly with more details about how I found the cache and where I put it.

When contacting the cache owner, give very specific instructions on where you put the container. If your description is clear enough the cache owner can often tell if you picked the right spot. Don't just say "where my GPS said it should be".

The bane of cache hiders everywhere - the finder who just had to fix your cache -

- they know better than you do how/where to hide your cache and logs the cache as -

a - rehid in a better place

b - rehid to make it easier to find

c - rehid to make it harder to find

I actually had one of mine logges as made it easier to find. HUH?