Muggles To Cachers

First -- I hate the use of the word muggles....but "when in Rome"

That out of the way -- I was thinking of placing a couple of caches (intentionally) in areas where they may very well be discovered by folks that are not seeking them. By keeping them cheap, interesting, and full of information on Geocaching -- I am hoping they might be found by non-cachers and bring some new folks into the hobby as well.

That said, I was wondering what others experiences have been with the following?

1) How many of your caches have been found by non-cachers and had the logbook signed with something like "hey, found this today -- seems like a fun game, I'm not a cacher, but think I'll try it out."

2) How many of your less hiden caches have gone missing completely (less friendly finders)?

I thought there was a thread in this earlier, but can't seem to find it now.

I have only placed one cache, but it was well hidden (you couldn't see it simply by looking in the general direction of it) in a low traffic area and it lasted a month or so before it went missing.

Your idea to place "informational" caches where non cachers will find them is a noble one, but I wouldn't spend too much cash on them as I doubt they will last long.

As a general rule I would advise looking around the area you intend to place your not so hidden cache in and look for empty beer cans. Those are a sure sign that the area is frequented by folks who will not have any reservations about "muggling" your cache.

I had a cache in a small, town maintained cemetery get a log by the neighbors across the street. I guess they noticed all the extra traffic. There isn't an online log but they wrote in the logbook that there had been some vandalism issues in the past and they hoped something like that wouldnt happen again. I doubt they'll find another geocaching although I had the gc.com-recommended stashnote, so they probably have the website.

Thanks for the replies -- I am very happy to see that a non-cacher-to-cacher has posted here! I appreciate that some folks question whether I should even be doing this -- but my motivation is pretty sincere. I like the hobby and hope that others will too. My thought is that there is plently of room for more cachers in my area at least. I'm not thinking about "plain site" caches though. I'm just thinking about caches in areas where there is lots of outdoor activities and *might* be found occasionally by non-cachers.

What I am really looking for here is information on how often your caches have been found by non-cachers, and/or how often your caches have gone completly missing.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
yea lets give non cachers a reason to start searching the woods for stuf to steal and vandalize.

Is it just me, or weren't all geocachers non-geocachers at some point?

While I don't think that LFD's idea is the best way to recruit new geocachers - I just don't buy this arguement - if that was the case - NOBODY would ever start geocaching, since all non-geocachers end up being theives.

I don't think most people new to geocaching should find out about it that way. They wouldn't understand it, and there would be tons of new "cachers" that would have NO idea what they were doing.

It's not like we don't already have newbies that don't know what they're doing.... :rolleyes:

Not everyone is like you. I bet a lot of people would just take it or do something else with it.

See above - I'm not saying this is a good idea - but you'd be surprised on how honest some people are. I know of quite a few caches that local muggles know about and don't bother.

----------------------------------------------------------------

LFD - I can't think of any of my caches that have been found by non-cachers that signed the logs. I change log sheets in my micros fairly regularly and I haven't seen any non-geocacher logs. I do need to check the logbooks on my traditional-regular caches (possibly tomorrow). I have had one cache go missing (several times) and I am not sure if it was stolen (by people or animals) or washed away. I don't always think there's a clear way to know that a cache was stolen. Many times nature can do away with them..... (yea, sometimes I know they must be stolen due to the way they were secured...)

It might be an interesting experiement to place a few caches filled with a logbook and a stack of Geocacher-U brochers (feel free to take one) and see what happens. I don't think that's the best way to recruit new players, however....

sd

We have had several of our caches found by non cachers who have joined and thanked us for our effort. The caches found by these non cachers were not urban caches and were quite well hidden, but they were placed in interesting and well travelled scenic locations. I see nothing wrong with the idea.

it's a great idea as long as you're lucky. trouble is for every positive finder who joins the group they'll be a complete b##%$@d.

i know of a cache that had a log entry along the lines of "found by accident took good stuff left trash" needless to say was archived shortly afterwards.

so go ahead but don't put anything of value in box.

I recently found a cache with an entry from a hunter who saw a couple of women looking for a cache, apparently he watched them, then after they left, he went to the cache to see what it was they were doing.

he didnt log on to the site, or express an interest in future caching, but he did leave a message in the log expressing a desire to see one of the women again, as he thought she was pretty, and left his email address.

his log went something like this: "Im not sure what this is doing out here, but I saw you from my tree stand .......contact me at******" it was funny I wish I could remember it. The cache is ancient history 102 :rolleyes:

In my experience it varies. Some get stolen, some found and replaced.

There was one I stuck in a juniper tree in the middle of a busy park. It was found all the time by accident and they would sign the log and on at least one occasion they picked it up off the ground and put it back in the tree.

The funniest one was when I was out on a trail and the cache was under a rock. The log read "we saw this rock and decided we would take it for our garden and then found the cache under it..."

I had a minimally concealed urban micro get vandalized multiple times by muggles, until I finally relocated it and hid it much better.

With 9 active caches, I've only seen one log (to a regular cache) from someone who found the cache by accident, logged it and rehid it. He/she made no mention of interest in the game (but who knows - they might have joined up).

Based on my experience, you'll have the cache stolen or trashed 5 times for evey one potential new cacher, and the potential new cacher is not likely to sign up (since you need to invest money in a GPSr before you can even begin).

I agree with others that the best way to recruit new cachers is by mentoring them so they can experience the game before they have to lay out $$ to see if they like it. Do you have a local geocaching organization in your area? If so, do they do anything to promote the sport by speaking to civic groups, or doing newspaper or radio interviews? If not, could you start a local organization? That's the best way to recruit new payers - a visible, local organization with members who are willing to take newbies out with them!