Why Not Use Garmin Mapsourc

ts_hunter

I am new to the whole GPS scene... I have had my Garmin 60c for about 4 days now. Why does everyone seem to use a 3rd party software for waypoint and geocache management? Will the Garmin Mapsouce software that came with my unit do the same thing. All I really want to do is save geocaches, and then save groups of waypoints in catagories like, hunting waypoints, fishing waypoints, and camping way points. Any suggestions...tips....

Some of us use the third party software for the things that Mapsource doesn't do.

1. Use airiel photos in ExpertGPS, QuakeMap etc.

2. Correct coords on puzzle caches or half found multicaches in GPXSpinner, GPS Babel or GSAK

3. Find caches along a route in GSAK, ExpertGPS.

4. View the description,hints and past logs in GSAK,Watcher, Cachemate (for Palm), GPX Sonar (For WindowsCE)

5. Ignore caches that you don't want to find in GSAK, Watcher

6. Project waypoints in Cachemate or ExpertGPS

I'm sure others have more reasons but this is why I use other software.

I still use Mapsource

It's because the files generated by Geocaching.com (.loc and .gpx) are not supported by Garmin. In order to get the waypoints transferred into your GPSr, a 3rd party program is required.

The new MapSource version 6.5 BETA supports the .gpx format. Still there seems to be problems with .gpx files between MapSource and GSAK (a very popular 3rd party program). It seems that if a file is edited by GSAK, MapSource apparently cannot read it (SEE THIS THREAD).

Maybe they can straighten out that problem with the release of MapSource version 7.

Edited by Neo_Geo
It's because the files generated by Geocaching.com (.loc and .gpx) are not supported by Garmin.  In order to get the waypoints transferred into your GPSr, a 3rd party program is required.

The new MapSource version 6.5 BETA supports the .gpx format.  Still there seems to be problems with .gpx files between MapSource and GSAK (a very popular 3rd party program).  It seems that if a file is edited by GSAK, MapSource apparently cannot read it (SEE THIS THREAD). 

Maybe they can straighten out that problem with the release of MapSource version 7.

GSAK can already export directly to MapSource, so to be honest I don't know why anyone would want to go the GSAK=>GPX=>MapSource route?

Just go GSAK=>MapSource

Edited by ClydeE
Sorry Clyde - just passin' along some info. I'm not personally a GSAK user yet. I typically go the EasyMPS route myself.

No need to apologise. I was just curious to know why/how this issue came up in the first place as going down this route doesn't make sense to me but perhaps it does to someone else.

I am new to the whole GPS scene... I have had my Garmin 60c for about 4 days now. Why does everyone seem to use a 3rd party software for waypoint and geocache management? Will the Garmin Mapsouce software that came with my unit do the same thing. All I really want to do is save geocaches, and then save groups of waypoints in catagories like, hunting waypoints, fishing waypoints, and camping way points. Any suggestions...tips....

well some of us do use Mapsource. I happen to love the program

. it has a great find feature to find addresses and so forth and you can switch between map packages on the fly to see which ones have the details you need. Seems a bit more peppy than some of the 3rd party stuff in my opinion.

GSAK can already export directly to MapSource, so to be honest I don't know why anyone would want to go the GSAK=>GPX=>MapSource route?

Just go GSAK=>MapSource

Well, since you ask...

GSAK goes to MPS, not GDB. It's no longer a direct translation to the native format. MPS is a deprecated format as far as Garmin is concerned. The GPX import goes directly to the new format. If GSAK isn't going to support the new format, then it's no easier than using EasyMPS with GPX.

(If that doesn't make sense, blame the Newcastle)

Well, since every release of Mapsource that supports GDB uses a *different* GDB, much like many of the Mapsources that used MPS used a *different* MPS, one can argue that GDB as it appears in the shipping products is already deprecated by the betas that use YAGDF (yet another gratituously different format) so that's kind of a strawman.

The last beta I looked at (admittedly not the current) wouldn't write GPX files at all and it wouldn't store mapsets in GPX files, so I don't see how GPX can be considered at all "native" to Mapsource.

I use GSAK to get the caches I want to target, then export to MPS and load into MapSource. Once loaded I add other waypoints such as parking, etc. I also look, if it's not a park once and hike to the caches loop, what order to target the caches in. Once I have the caches and other waypoints the way I want, I save to the GPS from within MapSource.

Also when I'm done, if it's a decent hike, many times I'll then read back into MapSource from the GPS the waypoints and track(s) and save them within MapSource.

Since you have a mapping GPS, you absolutely require Mapsourse mapping programs to transfer the maps to the 60. Mapsource programs also provide the ability to transfer and managment waypoints, tracks and routes although other third party programs allow this too..

I would start as I did with my 3 year old Vista, with Mapsource Topo for off road hiking so you can see the "lay of the land". I would also go with an auto-navigating street program like Mapsourse Metroguide or City Select for detail street maps.

That's the basics. Once you done that, you can play with the other thrid party software mentioned. But the wholoe point of getting a mapping GPS is to get the maps loaded and you need Garmin's for that.

It's because the files generated by Geocaching.com (.loc and .gpx) are not supported by Garmin.  In order to get the waypoints transferred into your GPSr, a 3rd party program is required.

The new MapSource version 6.5 BETA supports the .gpx format.  Still there seems to be problems with .gpx files between MapSource and GSAK (a very popular 3rd party program).  It seems that if a file is edited by GSAK, MapSource apparently cannot read it (SEE THIS THREAD). 

Just go GSAK=>MapSource

One of the reasons for wanting GPX files from GSAK readable by Mapsource is the ability to utilize the Link feature of waypoints.

From the help file

Link – This feature allows you to include a link to a file or URL containing information related to the waypoint.  For example, you could link to an electronic document containing a description of your waypoint, a digital photo you took while at the waypoint, a web site devoted to the area around the waypoint, etc.  You can enter the desired file name/URL or click Browse to select the desired file.

When importing GPX files from PQs the link to the cache page is put into this property. AFAIK mps-export from GSAK does not include this.

Only thing I have noticed. But, I am using Ozi so...

I am suspecting Mapsource support for GPX is a hack just to support PQ generated GPX.

hbrx.

I do this for a few different reasons:

1 - Use Mapsource to send the waypoints to my 2610 (which I still haven't sent to Robert, but I will, this week, honest Robert).

2 - I sometimes open the GPX in Mapsource to get some idea where large collections of caches are located.

3 - I use the GPX generated from GSAK to load it into GPXSonar.