Is it OK to post pictures of the cache?

hutchca

I just started caching and I always bring my digital camera with me.

It occurred to me that the cache owners and/or others who have placed items in the cache may want to see what's there and what their condition is. So I've been taking a pic of the cache and contents and posting it with my found log.

I've noticed nobody else seems to do this. So maybe it's improper or maybe it's just a waste of time. It's also taking space on the server.

What do you think? Are pictures a good thing or a nuisance?

I've seen it done. Here is a good example of one where the cache owner took a picture of the cache and it's location.

Little Red Caboose

Note that the owner points out that one of the pictures is a possible spoiler, and the other is a spoiler. Some people have found these pictures to be helpful in finding this cache.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck & Kris:

What do you think? Are pictures a good thing or a nuisance?

Nice Job! Cachers see the area views and should want to cache those locations.

Continue to post your pictures, if that is what you like to do.

We take pictures, but just don't post very many.

We take pictures of all the caches we find, laying out the contents so each item can be easily identified. We've never posted the pictures because we were not sure if it was OK to do so. I can see both points of view: it's nice to see what the cache contains and it's also nice to maintain some sense of mystery. We're still undecided whether or not to post our pics.

I think its fine as long as you don't have anything in the background that will give away the location. As a cache owner, it wouldn't bother me one bit. And if it did, all I would have to do is hit the delete button to get rid of the picture.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I have no problem with a finder posting a picture that does not give away the cache location. A nice shot of what’s in the general area or even a close up of the cache container / contents away from its hiding spot is fine. If it’s a nice area…that will help draw people to do the cache. I will not accept a picture that gives away the cache location.

Exposing the cache location / hide and posting it with your online log. I wish someone could explain why they feel the need to do that. Can’t keep a secret? Wants to help the next guy? Or…thinks nobody believes that they are capable of finding one…so they need a picture to prove it? Fortunately…it doesn’t happen often. Most people have the common sense and courtesy not to compromise someone else’s hide.

If you’re lucky, the person who placed the cache has taken some time, thought and effort in its placement. ANY clues / pics giving away the cache location should come from them. It’s just plain wrong to nullify that effort by exposing the cache. Indicate a spoiler may be in the log? Human nature being what it is…whether by choice or accident…will stumble on that picture. You spoil the fun and adventure for everyone when you give away too much information. Do what you want with your own placed cache…leave mine as it is. I can always make adjustments depending on the feedback in the logs.

We have a cache here in Michigan (Bill &Gary’s Excellent Adventure) that is sponsored and placed by the Metropark itself. It‘s a big park and quite a challenging multi-cache. Last year’s was great and this year looks to be even more challenging and fun. I know Bill & Gary would not like to see all their hard work and effort done for naught because of someone with a camera exposing their hide(s). That’s understandable…isn’t it?

I no longer apologize for deleting a picture or log anymore. It does no good. Now I specify on my cache page that “Spoilers will be deleted without notice.”

If that’s unacceptable to you….keep on walkin’……..

[This message was edited by datum on June 29, 2003 at 01:47 PM.]

A good rule of thumb is to never reveal more about the cache than the owner wants to be revealed. Sometimes it's stated; other times it's implied. When in doubt, email the owner before posting.

Usually, it's implied that one should not post a pic revealing the cache location or other information that would degrade the difficulty the owner intended.

If the owner has not described the container, it may be that he wants the mystery to be part of the challenge, especially if it's a speciality container like a fake rock or stump.

Worldtraveler

Take the cache about 15 feet away if possible, depending on the locale, and take a picture of it with only the ground or leaves or something unidentifiable as background if you want to photograph the cache. It's nice for the cache placer to see it, it greatly helps with the maintenance, but don't spoil the hunt with cache site identifying photos. Then put it back the way you found it.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I think its fine as long as you don't have anything in the background that will give away the location. As a cache owner, it wouldn't bother me one bit. And if it did, all I would have to do is hit the delete button to get rid of the picture.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Once again, your dead on "snat". Couldn't agree with you more. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

I've seen it done. Here is a good example of one where the cache owner took a picture of the cache and it's location.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9f30afe6-7d1d-4515-ad33-27777e2e09ac

Note that the owner points out that one of the pictures is a possible spoiler, and the other is a spoiler. Some people have found these pictures to be helpful in finding this cache.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Gee! I though Brainerd might give the example where I posted a picture of one of his caches

Safecraker. It definitely let him know about the condition of the cache.

東西南北

-- I found it in the last place I looked.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Take the cache about 15 feet away if possible, depending on the locale, and take a picture of it with only the ground or leaves or something unidentifiable as background if you want to photograph the cache. It's nice for the cache placer to see it, it greatly helps with the maintenance, but don't spoil the hunt with cache site identifying photos. Then put it back the way you found it.

Yeah, this is exactly what we do too.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I have a digital camera. If I wanted a photo of the cache on the page I would put one there.

Sometimes the type and/or camoflage of the container are key to the hide and giving that away would make the cache much easier to find. If the container has a particular paint job, or is one of the special caches out there you can litterally spoil the whole thing. A hollowed out log, a fake rock, some of the caches I have seen that are camo'd to look like part of a structure or a piece of plumbing--compromising the cache with a photo is a serious spoiler. There is a reason why it is called a SPOILER!

If a photo with too much information shows up on one of my cache page it will be deleted.

Think carefully about including any spoiler information, including images, in your log. Will it make it easier for someone to find the cache? If so, please leave it out.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

My intention in photographing the cache is to give the owner an idea of the condition of the cache and it's contents, as well as to let previous visitors know what's still in the cache.

As an example, on my last trip one cache had an item that was broken. Probably crushed by other items on top of it when the cache was closed.

Often, the cache contents don't match what's in the logs either.

So I guess my real question is. Does anybody really care what's left in the cache?

Do you cache owners care to see how the cache is doing or do you check on it often enough that it doesn't matter?

I am always careful to take the picture with no identifying objects in the field of view. Usually it's straight down so all you can see is the cache, it's contents and the ground.

I have yet to encounter any special or camouflaged containers but based on this feedback I may take the contents out of the container from now on. Unless there is some damage to the container that the owner should know about.

As far as spoilers are concerned, you can't stumble on a photo by accident you have to click on the link.

I usually don't read the logs before I visit because it is stated very clearly that there may be spoilers.

quote:

Does anybody really care what's left in the cache?

I care only if there's only gum wrappers, a rock from nearby, a badly used golfball, and a cigarette lighter. If that's what I saw in my cache box, I'd be out as quick as I could to restock it.

But if there's still cool stuff left in the cache, great. I don't really need a picture of what's in there. I'd rather see the smiling faces of the cachers triumphantly holding the box (no spoilers). THAT'S what's important to me - did the hunt make them happy?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

<SNIP>

So I guess my real question is. Does anybody really care what's left in the cache?

Do you cache owners care to see how the cache is doing or do you check on it often enough that it doesn't matter?

<snip>

I have yet to encounter any special or camouflaged containers but based on this feedback I may take the contents out of the container from now on. Unless there is some damage to the container that the owner should know about.

<SNIP>

I like to get information about the cache condition. Usually just a simple "cache is in good shape" is fine. I did see a log on one my caches that said the cache contents were damp, so I went and bagged the contents inside the cache. I do periodically visit and remove things that shouldn't be there and replenish the things that should, read the log, etc. I am not really interested in general contents of the cache. I would appreciate a note about something that shouldn't be there or if the cache needs repair.

Some of the coolest caches I have found were clearly hidden in plain sight, but campflaged to look like something else. I use a bit of camoflage on many of my hides to help match the surroundings. A look at the cache can be spoiler under these circumstances.

Part of the interest in hiding caches is setting a puzzle for the finder. If they have information that spoils the challenge, it can diminish the experience for the hider and the finder, even if the finder needs to click to see the photo. I am quickly becoming one of the folks who enjoys hiding more than finding, and part of the satisfaction is seeing how finders solve my hides. I'm still pretty new to this, but I enjoy exploring new ways to hide things in plain sight.

It is great that you take interest in the condition of the caches you find and want to provide feedback to the hider! Most of the time photos would be no problem, but a bit of thought should be paid to what information your are giving out. If the cache container is specifically described, I think a photo isn't going to change much.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Twice I have had to delete photo's from logs on our caches.

One the first one, the cache has a unique camo job, and someone posted a picture of them holding the container. I deleted it the minute I saw it.

On the second one, we have a level 4 terrain cache where retrieving the container would not be for a faint-of-heart cacher. I put in the cache description that if you were not willing to retrieve the container, e-mail us with the type of container and the manner of hiding, and you could get credit for the find. Of course, a picture was posted showing the whole nine yards, which I deleted immediately.

I dont mind if someone posts a picture, as long as it is not a major spoiler like the above instances.

When we post pictures, we make sure not to have the container included in the photo. In fact, I have photoshopped some pictures to black out the container in case the owner does not want it posted. We usually just take a picture of one of us with the log book.

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet

I think I'd like to see the condition of my cache and perhaps that could be sent to me privately and not posted as a log. When I search for a cache, I don't care what's in the cache. It won't influence my decision to search for it. If there were a surprise feather at or on the approach to the cache, I'd prefer it be a surprise when I get there. When I look at other cache logs, I love to see photos of other things and not the cache itself. I enjoy seeing part of the trail or other cachers and if the parking and trailhead is confusing, I like to see a photo of that. Just some things that came to mind.