Anyon Else Snowed In,no Cachin For Us.

Team Reno

Here in Syracuse, NY we get over 10 feet of snow per year. Many of our caches are listed as either winter accessible or not. That won't help you where this snowfall is an aberrancy. What you can do is look at the description and see if the cache is up off the ground and as stated earlier, a 1/1. Good luck from unusually snowless Stracuse!

I'm in Sparks, so I know what you're talking about. We had 30+inches of snowfall yesterday and more last night & on the way... It only happens here about once every 12-14 years [last time was in 1990, and 1972 before that], so I can live with it. Just can't 'cache' with it. Oh well... back to the idiot box.

Rat

Before we moved to South Texas, my behind got cold in October and never warmed up above freezing until May.

On Christmas morning Donna, Texas, where we now live, suffered a 3" snowfall. It was the first measurable snow in 109 years; first white Christmas ever; our tomato plants survived due to careful covering. We spent that 50° Christmas day in the house where it was 72°. Junk science, global-warming fanatics, please explain that one to me.

Next day it was 65° -- following day it was 70° -- yesterday it reached the normal December temperature of 82°.

It's now (0700) the coolest time of the day: 69°, so it appears it will be another perfect cache-hiding day; we've found all the in-place caches within 75 miles of home.

We planted three yesterday, have four more ready for today.

Fellow Valley residents and visitors, have a look at these:

Venetian Ducklings

Sky Soldiers

Hangin' Tree

And one in Progresso, Mexico, just across the Rio Grande.

Brown Pride Tatoo

I'd say go on the forums and talk about geocaching.

Now that I have a jeep I don't get "Snowed in" too often. Usually i can get around just fine but I spend alot of my caching time pulling people out of ditches.

I also love just playing arond with my gps. Now that I got a 60cs I'll make it route me to La and back (from pittsburgh) or go all around the country. You can set it to simulate driving the route.

now I just have to stop yelling

HONEY, I"M ALMOST TO KANSAS!

Joe Smith

A related question - if you do find a snowed-in cache, how do you avoid making it much easier for the next person to come along? Until the next snow (or significant wind) you are likely to have left an easy to follow track once you leave established trails. Un-natural tromping down of snow near a cache seems even more obvious than un-natural piles of stiicks.

NE has snow in the forecast this week and my snowshoes are all ready to go, so this isn't entirely an academic question.

Have shovel, will cache. No need to limit oneself to 1/1 caches when the snow comes down. Check out the cache logs and photos from 1/2/05 for the Mammoth Tusk Cache. A team of three skiers and two geodogs liberated a travel bug that had been in the cache since August! The temperature was +15° F and we had to break trail all the way in.

Mammoth Tusk is about 40 miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.

The idea of planning a cache sounds great. To elaborate a bit further, you can find common object found in the woods(i.e. small logs, neat rocks, pinecones, pieces of bark, etc) and brainstorm with the family how you could turn it into a micro or a cache. With some pretty basic tools you can make a great place to hide a film canister. I've seen one micro where copper was attached to some bark with the coordinates engraved in it. MS