Tb Hotel Near To Bristol Airport ?

mikinvs

Has anybody in the Bristol area thought about setting up a travel bug hotel near Bristol airport ? There's a pub within spitting distance called the "Airport Tavern" which also convieniently provides airport parking. I'm thinking about contacting them to see if they would provide space for an ammo box behind the bar.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

That's a great idea. I've wanted to put a cache there for a while now, and even got as far as checking locations, but couldn't find anywhere suitable.

The pub is a good thought, as Stuey said, you'd have the opening hours thing, but it means that people stopping by would not have to pay the exorbitant parking charge at the airport building.

I say go for it. Bristol Airport is not to be laughed at, the range of destinations avaliable from there is staggering, given it's size.

Just make sure that the pub trains new staff (so that you're not going in there and getting laughed at by newbie barpeople), and that the pub gets a geocaching.com sticker in the front window.

Klaus

I'm not entirely sure if this would work since most airlines ask about being given things by other people. Having a TB hotel located at the airport would be quite ironic. You can imagine the response, "Yes, I got this travel bug, which may or may not contain a kilo of smack from behind the information desk". I don't think they're going to facilitate potential drug smuggling, or allow the storage of DIY pipe bomb TBs - this is how they'd see it unfortunately. I've witnessed enough reports of hotels being archived because of security issues. Nevertheless it's worth a crack.

I'm always weary about transporting larger travel bugs abroad. Geocaching is taking over my life but it isn't worth life in a Thai prison.

Mike.

Has anybody in the Bristol area thought about setting up a travel bug hotel near Bristol airport ? There's a pub within spitting distance called the "Airport Tavern" which also convieniently provides airport parking.  I'm thinking about contacting them to see if they would provide space for an ammo box behind the bar.

Mike.

Would this be classed as a "commercial cache"?

From the GC.com guidelines;

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. "

MarkGPX

Yes, I believe it would constitute a commercial cache. I also found the following in the same document:

------------------------

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports.

------------------------

So there's no possibility of the cache being located "in" an airport, even in the unlikely event that the airport might agree to it.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Hi mikinvs, I think others have said it all I'm afraid.

You're absolutely right that the "commercial" aspect of a pub cache would be a problem. I've personally done a similar cache in the US (a cafe, not a pub) but that was an old one and I'm rettu sure it wouldn't be listed nowadays.

There's also been discussion on the reviewers' private forum about caches in airports and the same concerns have been raised.

I think your best bet is to look for somewhere in the vicinity to the airport but I'd advise you to look AT LEAST a mile or so away. Remember that security is tight these days and mobile security guards/police patrol the general area of the airport. It wouldn't be helpful to be seen emerging from a wood with a piece of electronic equipment in your hand :D

Most people travel by car so maybe somewhere on the road to the airport would be an option. :D

On a brighter note, the section you quote about "Public Structures" is followed more loosely here than in America. I know many caches near bridges, dams etc. that cause no problems at all.

Edited by Lactodorum