New Year, New Topic!

HNY everybody. We almost made the 200 mark in 2004, our first year, but the after effects of bronchitis all round the family messed up two weeks in December so we just missed out. We'd certainly aim 3-400 by the end of this year especially as we hope to do a good few during a forthcoming overseas trip. We'll also be out birding more this year (hopefully) which will take us to many areas around the UK far from where we live so we'll have the GPS and PDA ready to go!

Good luck everyone, whatever your aims. As long as you enjoy yourself what does it matter?

I would like to get more geocachers in my area, as I don't want to travel too far (Getting lazy) The same for my holiday villa on the coast area (Clacton).

I hope I am not a numbers person so the score does not count for me.

I also hope that I can place some more difficult hard to find caches (Evil and Sneaky thats me) all micros. As for plans for this year? At my age, I check the obituary page in my paper. If I am not amoungst them, I get out of bed. :unsure:

First aim of the year is Kipling Cache. It just keep reappearing at the top of my nearsest list. Trouble is, this is rather the wrong time of year to have this aim :unsure:

Pyoung1s and I have plans to hit this soon :wacko: . Keep in touch if you make any plans. I am free most Saturdays

Finish (start?!) some of those challenging puzzles - such as Lewis Alone....

Set some long-overdue caches in Towcester, Silverstone, Whittlewood Forest...

Attend our first event, and meet more cachers (also long overdue!).

Release those 5 TB tags we've had since August...

Work out how to use this PDA thingy...

Try to avoid searching the building site next door to the Taj Mahal (metaphorically speaking!). Spent a good 30 minutes doing this in Oxford this afternoon. :D

And become a Premium member - done 1/1/2005!

Edited by milvus-milvus

Not so much 'targets' (I work in education and I have had enough of settings targets) but good intentions.

(1)Place one cache each month (well at least one every 2 months)

(2) Find at least one cache a month. (It's hard to find more than one weekend a month to get out for the next few months and if I have to dedicate time to resolution 1 ....)

(3) Meet more cachers... both in the wild and at meets. When I started this I saw it as a bit of a solitary activity. Not a negative as we always like to walk where there are few people around. But it always felt a bit odd knowing that there were thousands of others involved and we never saw them. Having attended a few meets and bumped into a few people it has always been a pleasure. So here's hoping for a few more.

(4) Break my addiction to the forum.... repeat after me... you do not have to contribute to every thread... speaking to the family is allowed...

(5) Contribute something to the magazine and the geohikes website.

Happy new year one and all.

I want to:

Reach 600 finds, revamp some of my older caches by adding extra elements, set at least one new cache per month (as I discovered with my last hide there are some great 'undiscovered' locations out there, waiting for a cache) and do Dan's The Ring too. I also want to attend some more events (always fun) and perhaps release a TB or two. I also have my eye on a record...

Nothing too exciting then :rolleyes:

SP

I want to:-

Hit 100 finds (10 to go) - easy one to start with.

Walk 30 miles in a day, finding at least 10 caches while still managing to start AND finish in daylight.

Convince the four non-caching GPS owners I know to come caching.

AND

See GeoHikes become the UKs top walking site!!!!!!

For 2005... reach 800 finds (244 to go) and 50th hide (12 to go).

Remember to take waypoint where I parked the car at least once. :rolleyes:

Teach Daisy to jump over the stiles she can't crawl under instead of me haiving to lift her over :unsure:

It would be interesting to revisit this thread in a year's time to see who managed to do what.

Well, the numbers part of us wants to get to 200.

Finish (well, start really) setting the cache we've been talking about for the last few months.

Get around to talking to the Corporation of London about setting caches on their land.

Get out and about a bit more, work shorter hours, stop being so lazy etc, etc, all the things that get in the way of caching.

A very happy caching new year to everyone.

I'd like to:

1. Get another 5 Major Landowner general permissions for cachers in general

2. Hit 400 caches found (53 to go)

3. Hide my 100th cache (9 to go)

4. Hide a challenging cache series

5. Find enough time betwen work and family to achieve the above

To make an effort to try finding caches without the aid of GPS whenever practicable.

Some caches can be found by using a map and a bit of low cunning. I think that adds a bit of satisfaction to a cache-hunt.

Really? Wasn't the whole idea of geocaching to use a GPS in the first place?

I find the most rewarding caches are ones where I have walked out my front door and just followed my GPS from there with basically no knowledge of what I'm getting myself in to!!

My aims are:

To head for the 300 mark.

To do more 'hiking' caches than ordinary ones.

and...

I climbed Slieve Donard (at 850m/2,789ft the highest mountain in 'Northern' Ireland) yesterday in atrocious weather. After having climbed Carrauntohill (highest peak on the island of Ireland) twice, and also Snowdon, my aim this year

is to get to Scarfell Pike and Ben Nevis, and one of the days to Snaefell on the Isle of Man.

There is also a project in the works which will involve doing all 5 peaks in either 4 or 5 days. We'll keep you posted. :)

Wasn't the whole idea of geocaching to use a GPS in the first place?

Yes, originally it was a celebration of the joy of the removal of the accuracy degrading SA.

However, geocaching has moved on since then and there are now lots of wrinkles, such as multis, virtuals, and locationlesses -- which don't need a GPS to find.

Actually, doing a cache without GPS can have unexpected benefits. This afternoon I did Dead Good cache! (GCKX2H)

The most recent logreport was a DnF by a highly experienced cacher and several people had commented that there was something funny about the intermediate co-ords. I carefully read the question to be answered at the intermediate and noticed that the large scale map showed a feature which was almost certainly its location. I scaled off the co-ords and navigated there from the carpark without GPS quite easily. From there I navigated traditionally, sans GPS, and found the final cache quite easily.

I subsequently did the initial bit of the multi to check what the 'official' co-ords of the initial point had been. I found them to be about 50 metres off! Not using GPS certainly saved me at least a quarter of an hour.

Some caches are easy to find without GPS. Others are impractical to do so.

Cheers, The Forester

Ours must be to find more wonderful places with caches planted in them. We would like to win the lottery so that we would have more time to get out caching and have more caching adventures with our Geocaching friends, and Meets well we are intrigued as to what Mancunian Pyrocacher is planning for his meet not on dry land :lol: I daresay we will all find out when he is good and ready.

Really though, we enjoy Geocaching however many we get or don't get to do and we enjoy meeting all you guys at the Meets, may 2005 bring more of the same.

Joan

:lol::D:D:lol:

Ours must be to find more wonderful places with caches planted in them. We would like to win the lottery so that we would have more time to get out caching and have more caching adventures with our Geocaching friends, and Meets well we are intrigued as to what Mancunian Pyrocacher is planning for his meet not on dry land :lol: I daresay we will all find out when he is good and ready.

Really though, we enjoy Geocaching however many we get or don't get to do and we enjoy meeting all you guys at the Meets, may 2005 bring more of the same.

Joan

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ;)

How about attending 2 events in the same day :D? Intrigued enough? Note to Ecky and Lacto, details are still up in the air, but when finaly submited, both will meet the listing requirments, I promise, or a bottle of Laphroage (hope my spellings right) to each of you. Oh and add a non listed special event in the mix as well!!!! :D

Dave

Oh do tell :lol:

I thought that I'd replied already? Oh well here goes.

Currently things are still up in the air, about the first event, once firmed up, I've got to make to contacts for the second one ;). Once those details have been firmed up, I'll post the basics on the forums to gage interest, before putting the Event/s in for review :D (I'll be getting the Laphroage in, just in case :D ). And I promise both will be "Child Friendly". As for the Non listed event, time will tell on that one :D .

As for another taster, I'm currently working on a Event, hopefully in April, which I can PROMISE :lol: will be "Child" and "Seasider" friendly :lol:! I'm also on the look out for a suitable CITO location, and I'm also looking into the possibility of a "Forestry Shepherds II". :lol:

Daresay we will all find out shortly

Is that enough to be going on with?

Dave :D , who always arrives after CT & J :D

Me little Me I am only reading between the lines and stating the obvious. Off Topic or is it, speaking as one who sits precariously on the top of the fence. I was watching Titanic last night for the umpteenth time and boy those rats are orrible as they try to leave the sinking ship.

My powers of observation possibly lead my thoughts to the Maritime Museum possibly and probably wrong.

Make what you can of this Rutson Ha Ha

Joan

:D:D:lol::lol: