Found My First Official Benchmark

skillett

Found my first official one today. it was an easy one but way cool. i became interested in benchmarks by a happy accident. i used to fly r/c planes when i lived near atlanta,ga

our flying field was called dynamite hill. (used to store explosives there) our run way was at the top of the hill. one day another pilot lost control of his plane and we went searching for it. we topped another hill where there was a great view. and started looking around. i happened to notice a peice of concrete sticking out of the ground and investigated. it was a benchmark disk it had the elevation and other stuff on it . it struck me as something pretty neat. and i have been looking at the usgs site ever since but never went looking for one till now. this geocaching and benchmark hunting is pretty addictive! :unsure:

Edited by rbezell

Congratulations and welcome.

It will be educational to read the FAQ at www.geocaching.com/mark and some of the threads on this forum. One of the things you will learn is that you were quite lucky if your gps led you to it. This is a mark with SCALED location, meaning that its location is only approximately known, and its elevation is ADJUSTED, meaning measured and calculated and corrected to very good accuracy. Scaled locations are routinely off by hundreds of feet in many places, although you can sometimes catch on to the trend in your area, and occasionally they are off by tenths of miles.

Other marks will have ADJUSTED locations, which are more accurate than you need to check the functioning of your gps receiver.

Congratulations and welcome.

It will be educational to read the FAQ at www.geocaching.com/mark and some of the threads on this forum. One of the things you will learn is that you were quite lucky if your gps led you to it. This is a mark with SCALED location, meaning that its location is only approximately known, and its elevation is ADJUSTED, meaning measured and calculated and corrected to very good accuracy. Scaled locations are routinely off by hundreds of feet in many places, although you can sometimes catch on to the trend in your area, and occasionally they are off by tenths of miles.

Other marks will have ADJUSTED locations, which are more accurate than you need to check the functioning of your gps receiver.

Maybe I should qualify this find. it was REALLY! easy as a matter of fact you can pretty much guess where it is from about 300 ft away! it is surrounded by flat level ground , mowed grass, perched on top of a mound about the size of a pitchers mound with a 3 ft wooden stake with surveyors ribbon on it . once i got in the ballpark with the gps i quit looking and beelined right for it . But thanks for the advice though. there is another one close to this one with a pretty complicated description . I will probably go for it next. Thanks to your advice it will be interesting to see where the gps takes me. :unsure:

Congrats on your first benchmark.

One of the enjoyable aspects of this hobby is the variety of benchmarks and how they were placed. After you get going you will find there are some benchmarks that you will go back several times trying to find. You may even start dreaming about those tough ones, but when you finally do find that mark it makes you feel so great.

Be sure to let us know how the one with the complicated description turns out. If you need any help or suggestions, just ask and we will try our best to help you out.

Enjoy,

John

rbezell -

Welcome aboard. I hope you have the opportunity to find a great many more easy ones. But I really hope that you have the opportunity to find many hard ones. There's nothing more satisfying than slogging through several hundred yards of swamp and brambles to find a station that no one else has found since 1932. Also, I hope you develop the attitude (as many of us veterans have) that a thorough search resulting in a NOT FOUND is just as good (well, almost just as good) as a FOUND.

And the 2oldfarts are right - if you have any questions let us know. The accumulated experience and expertise of the community is awesome, especially among the professional surveyors who lurk here.

Will

Congratulations! Just as a warning though I never thought looking for little metal disks would be so addicting. I'm starting to think that I like finding them as much as geocaches. :blink:

Same here...but I cannot explain why...except that so far, I have not been near lobotomized searching for a benchmark in a pile of scrub.

This is a pretty addictive game on both sides. I found Salina Base East and Salina Base West set in the 1890s. The descriptions list them as rods and the rod is set in the middle of a concrete slab with a cross and.... you can look for yourself I guess. Glen*

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=JF1012

GeoidChaser, it is good to see you are still kicking. Glen aka RattlingCrew ;)

This is a pretty addictive game on both sides. I found Salina Base East and Salina Base West set in the 1890s. The descriptions list them as rods and the rod is set in the middle of a concrete slab with a cross and.... you can look for yourself I guess. Glen*

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=JF1012

GeoidChaser, it is good to see you are still kicking. Glen aka RattlingCrew :huh:

Glad you are finding some nice one's as well.

Geoidchaser,you caught me eh.