Question On Garmin 60cs

pcassel

Hello,

I'm new to this, but have a great deal of enthusiasm to start out. I have a Garmin 60CS. The 60CS has a special geocache waypoint area. The difference between a geocache waypoint and a standard one is that a geocache will log when I've found a cache thus giving me a history. A standard waypoint is just that - standard.

I experiemented by d/l EasyGPS and a .loc file. I found I could d/l the .loc file sucessfully into the 60CS, but it came in as a standard waypoint. I hoped it would come in as a geocache one, but it came in as a standard one. Please note: I'm not trying to change the waypoint icon, but to have it register in the GPS as a geocache.

I can find no information on this in the manual or online. If there are any 60CS users out there who have figured this out, I'd appreciate some info. Or am I not understanding that it's in there. I think it's not because when I choose Find (button) and then choose the Geocache icon in the menu, I don't see the d/l .loc file. I do see it in the Waypoints icon.

Thanks for any help and any general 60CS lore. I'm new to geocaching and land use of GPS's in general only having used them at sea.

i have the gpsmap 76cs, but i bet its the same.

i think easygps can only load them as waypoints.

this is what i did:

-download the .loc files from the gc.com site

-then i used gpsbabel (free download http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/)

-i used gpsbabel to convert the .loc files to the garmin format .pcx 5)

-then i used the MapSource software File-Import utility to load the .pcx file

-then used the send to device tool in MapSource to upload them to my Garmin GPSMap 76cs -- they come in as "Geocaches" now

Hi - I have the same set up as you, downloading .loc files from EasyGPS to my new 60cs. Make sure in EasyGPS that each geocache has been edited to show the geocache symbol/icon in the left hand column. If you don't know how to do this, just right-click on each waypoint, then choose edit. If you do this, they should go directly to the list of geocaches when you download them to your GPSr.

Somebody else will probably tell you how much easier this would be with GSAK, but I am not familiar with it myself. :unsure: Hope this helps.