External Antenna Question For 76c

TheHFamily

I was out caching yesterday in the woods and was sick of loosing the signal. So I think I am going to take the plunge and buy an external antenna for use in hiking. After reading up some on the forum, it looks like I am going to go for a gilsson 9ft or 3 ft. I don't think I need it in the car..., but I may go for 9ft in case I ever need to. Too bad they don't make extender cables..

What should I be thinking about between the 90 degree vs the 180 degree connector? I guess I don't know why to choose one over the other.

How much should I expect to pay for the antenna? Is there a good/cheap place to buy it?

Are their generic ones that are just as good? I don't want to pay more than I need to if the performance is the same. If gilsson is better, I don't mind paying a bit more.

Thanks,

TheHFamily

Edited by TheHFamily

I have a black Gilsson 9' 90° antenna. I got it for $19.95 from the Gillson site. It recently changed names. I'll post a link if I can find it.

The 180° sticks straight out the back of the unit, which I guess is ok if you are using a windshield mount. The 90° brings the cable flush across the back of the GPSr, which in my view is better if you have it on a belt clip.

I wrapped a piece of metal around the shoulder strap of my pack, and stick the antenna to it when I hike, with the extra cable coiled in my pack. It works great.

My only issue is that it fits TIGHT into the port. I need a pliers or something to pry it loose when I want to remove it. That may just be my unit.

Edit: GPSGeek.com

Edited by Sputnik 57