Urgent! SBUX Missing!

This is a truly tragic story, our prayers go out for her safe return.

It sounds as if there has been a full mobilization of SAR resources, so I doubt if more volunteer searchers would be needed. More untrained people flooding into the area would make it harder for Search Dogs and Trackers to pick up her trail. What a SAR investigative team always will want is solid, first hand information about the subject,their equipment, their habits, their state of mind, personal relationships ect.. In all likelyhood this investigation will be carried out by the PA State Police, so if a contact number could be posted for anyone able to offer such information, this would speed the effort, by insuring that the actionable intelligence reaches investigators promptly. This is how her friends can best help the effort to find her.

God be with her.

Edited by jonboy

If she normally carries a cell phone, maybe it could be used as a "beacon".  Call the number, let it ring, listen.  Move into the area, repeat.

I'm not sure how long it takes but the police can work with the phone provider and see what towers are nearby the phone (If it's still on and within range) If she's in a city they can tringulate and get very close, if it's in the country they can at least say that she was x distance from a given point.

But by the time they get through the red tape the battery may be dead.

Joe Smith

If she has a phone with GPS, perhaps she could be tracked with this data.

Please let me know if there is anything you need.

I will post this message on the Nebraskache listserv, we are a ways away from you, but a lot of our members have contacts around the country. Worth a shot.

I found toll free numbers for the Pennsylvania State Police in Harrisburg and in Lancaster, since those are close areas to where she lives.

Harrisburg 866-760-1345

Lancaster 866-406-7142

I've also posted a message on the bookcrossing.com forums as well as on the CaseyAtwood message forum. I'll make sure all the cachers in Middle TN know as well, although I know they read the forums, so they probably already know.

Cooper Black Family,

I posted this to the Southeastern Pennsylvania forum (SEPAG) and asked that any relevant information be posted back here to keep any important news centralized.

The Central PA Geocachers also already know.

My heart goes out to you.

Edited by MissJenn
If any of you are close to where her car was, don't wait for an organized team, go out and do it yourself. Organize your own group and get out there.

For future reference, this is exactly what you should not do. Modern search and rescue techniques rely on using information and physical clues, including tracks, to quickly narrow the search area and make searches more effective.

Although well-meaning, lots of people tramping around is not an effective search and could very well destroy important clues that a trained searcher would be able to spot. If you are on the scene and want to help, find the person coordinating the search and ask them what you can do.

I sure hope that someone finds her, and that she is OK.

Regards,

Anthony

If they've already searched the area it won't matter.

I just don't want to sit here and not do anything. My friend Danny went missing at the end of November and they positively identified his *body* on Dec 22. I don't want the same thing to happen to Lucy that happened to Danny.

Lucy is one of my favorite cachers. The longer we wait to hear she's okay the less chance we have that she actually will be.

CCCooperAgency posted this on the MD GPS (www.mdgps.org) site a little while ago. (Robert is one of the MDGPS officers and the main force behind the groups website. He wasn't online as I read Lynn's message, so I thought I'd copy the message here.)

=====================================================

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:30 pm Post subject: SBUX (Lucy Black) MISSING! ANY INFORMATION PLEASE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know she is with an unidentified young man as of last evening. Someone she never mentioned to us. Lots of gaps in the puzzle. Robert, if you can upload a photo of Lucy to the Groundspeak thread thank you. I can't do much more right now.

PRAYER and TRUST in God is all we need to bring her home but if anyone sees her or hears from her, there is NOT a reason in the world that she can't return - we love her - any and every thing is forgiven and we want her home to her family safe. Obviously this person with her is leading her in the wrong direction. Away from family, away from school/career, job, away from God, aways from her car, geocaching, her gifts and abilities! What sort of person takes from another that way?

I wonder if it would be appropriate if TPTB could shoot off an email to everyone who has coords or zipcodes listed in their profiles near the area and ask them to be on the alert. Kind of a Cacher's Amber Alert.

You know, having some kind of clearinghouse of information for those who can help in situations like this might not be a bad idea. I can't find the thread, but I thought that something like this had happened once before, thankfully with a happy ending.

Maybe we can start a thread with ideas. Perhaps an opt-in list for mass emailings for those who have the ability to help. Maybe it is time for something like this? Anybody want to take the lead?

I will be at my computer all day, and I'd be happy to take the lead. My email is kiawa@verizon.net

If I hear anything new, I will email everyone. But I'll need somebody close to CCCooperAgency to keep me updated since I am not in that area.

I'm worried sick, and my thoughts are with everyone involved.

I personally think we should unpin this topic. No one ever looks up here. It has enough traffic to keep it at the top of the thread where it will get a lot more notice than being pinned up here.

I came back this afternoon and couldn't find it at first. I thought maybe she had been found.

Just my 2 cents worth.

El Diablo

If you need any help with searching please call me (301-471-6978)! I can be there in an houre and a half. I am trained in wilderness search and rescue. Also, if you can give us some idea what was on that note we would have a better idea of what to expect.

I'm not trained like Fergus, but if it would be helpful, I could be up there in about an hour and a half too.

I personally think we should unpin this topic. No one ever looks up here. It has enough traffic to keep it at the top of the thread where it will get a lot more notice than being pinned up here.

I came back this afternoon and couldn't find it at first. I thought maybe she had been found.

Just my 2 cents worth.

El Diablo

I agree. Pinning a topic can make the topic less obvious for many.

SD

I personally think we should unpin this topic. No one ever looks up here.

Agreed. I only found it accidentally. Usually I'm glad when a topic is pinned, that way I don't have to look at it.

Same here... I did not know it was up there until I came across it in the Missouri/Kansas forums thanks to webscouter. Thoughts and prayers ...

You don't state if she was out caching or doing something else. If she was caching, what caches are nearby, what routes would someone take to find those caches, and most importantly, what hazards are nearby, i.e. ravines, rivers.

God be with you. Sincerely, Joesbar, NE Ohio.

CCCooperAgency posted this on the MD GPS (www.mdgps.org) site a little while ago. (Robert is one of the MDGPS officers and the main force behind the groups website. He wasn't online as I read Lynn's message, so I thought I'd copy the message here.)

=====================================================

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:30 pm Post subject: SBUX (Lucy Black) MISSING! ANY INFORMATION PLEASE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know she is with an unidentified young man as of last evening. Someone she never mentioned to us. Lots of gaps in the puzzle. Robert, if you can upload a photo of Lucy to the Groundspeak thread thank you. I can't do much more right now.

PRAYER and TRUST in God is all we need to bring her home but if anyone sees her or hears from her, there is NOT a reason in the world that she can't return - we love her - any and every thing is forgiven and we want her home to her family safe. Obviously this person with her is leading her in the wrong direction. Away from family, away from school/career, job, away from God, aways from her car, geocaching, her gifts and abilities! What sort of person takes from another that way?

I'm quoting this again down here, because it seems to be getting lost in the out pouring of support...

The above post should be edited to clarify that the woman in the story is NOT SBUX.

I'm obviously hoping for the best. It's certainly a heartbreaking thing for a family not to know where their loved ones are. Hopefully you find her soon.

I know we're all a tight-knit community and wanty to help each other as much as possible, but this is probably one instance where the best thing you can do is stay home, hope and pray. The police will probably have plenty of people to help them do an organized search. The fact that a typewritten note was found on the windshield indicates that they have at least some information to go on.

The new Amber alert system really makes it seem like an uncommon occurence, because we see them so rarely, but 250,000 are reported missing each year, with an estimated 4,000 of those being abductions of children by strangers. Be alert, people.

Am I to understand that she is no longer missing? I do empathize with the family and would like to help, but I don't want to cause confusion in the forums here.

I will unpin the topic since it seems to be active enough to be noticed. Bump it if it falls to far down but I'd like to know if this should be a missing message or we should leave it to the family.

I will email CCC directly, but she may have better things to do then to answer my emails. If anyone in my area hears from her, and know of anyway that I can help, please call me at my office, cell or home. I am ready to drive down to the area, and volunteer in whatever capacity is required. I can leave immediately.

Ken

------------SBUX UPDATE MAILING LIST----------------

Email me at kiawa@verizon.net in order to join this temporary mailing list.

If I hear anything about her, I will email everyone on that list. That will keep you from searching the forums and hopefully free up Lynn's inbox a bit.

Lynn and Lucy have been a part of our lives now for a long time and we love them both dearly. We feel as if we know the entire family, as they all pitched in to celebrate our 1000 finds with us. We love them both dearly and our thoughts and intense prayers go out to them. Lynn, Kevin, and family, when you have a moment to read this, know that we are praying constantly for Lucy and her safe return.

For those who wonder where they are located, the family lives in PA between Lancaster and Hershey. We are sure that the entire geocaching community in that area will be involved in any way they can to aid in the search, as CCCooperAgency and SBux are much loved cachers with more friends than they can count.

If more help is needed, Lynn and Kevin, just post a meeting place here and your friends from everywhere will be there in a flash. As for Tom and I, we are only 6-8 hours away. All you need do is call us or e-mail and we'll be on our way.

So, prayers are needed from everyone.

And Lucy, if you are reading this and you need help, you know how to find us. Just call. We love you.

Tom and Anna Mary

SerenityNow

North Royalton, Ohio

Add another Kansas City caching team to the list who is deeply concerned and will be thinking/praying, about/for, SBUX's safe and speedy return. Our thoughts go out to the entire family!

God's speed goes out to those who have volunteered their help to find her !!

Keep the faith

Edited by Guitar Nutz & Jamz