Maps On Pda Or Gpsr?

frefel

I'm thinking about utilizing mapping software in the field to look for caches. I know there are excellent mapping programs for loading into PDAs (I use Palm) and ones loaded into certain GPSrs. In general, what are the advantages and disadvantages of either approach assuming I can connect the PDA to the GPSr?

Thanks for your comments.

You can drop your GPS and it won't break. If you have a routing GPS you can use it to route you to the cache. Once the maps are in the GPS you are good to go.

The PDA has more powerful types of maps and better software for working with waypoints so you could generate a map in the field that shows all the caches in the are on the one map. The larger screen makes it handier to see them all and plan a route out for the days caching that your GPS screen will let you do.

Tried maps on the PDA (Ipaq 3955), did not care much for it...

It takes two hands to manipulate things, where the gps you can usually do it with one. A PDA is more fragile, and it's harder to get programs that do a good job of replacing a what a standard GPSr does. I also did not like to use it in a car since it is hard to use a touch screen while a vehicle is moving.

Wyatt W.

I use my PPC fo road navigation using Mapopolis. I also have all caches within 165 miles loaded with a red icon for each cache using Mapopolis maplets. I can tap on the icon and immediately get the name, D/T, owner, type of cache and then hit navigate and the PPC directs me to it. I usually switch to my Vista at the trailhead although if it's an urban type I might use the PPC. While I don't use it too often, I can load 24K scale National Geographic Topo maps into my PPC that would show me the caching area in better detail than any GPS maps except if you happen to have Garmin's 24K national park maps. Otherwise topo maps in GPS's are 100K.

I use a dual sensitive CF GPS on my PPC. It allows to switch to high sensitive for use under foliage where my Vista won't pick up signals as easily. I also have a cable that connects the Vista to my PPC but I usual use the separate CF GPS.

Edited by Alan2