What to carry in your backpack?

azog

I am sure this must be a common question, but I didn't see any threads in relation. Or perhaps I just didn't look very hard?

The first two times I went out cache hunting, all I carried was my GPSr. The next few times, I packed a small bag with a few things. Now, I have purchased a backpack, and am starting to add things which seem to be needful.

What types of things do you carry? Don't think that just because something is obvious to you, it's obvious to me. I only recently learned to pack a hat.

What I carry now, roughly... water, cache goodies, a printout of the cache(s) I am targetting, spare batteries, bug spray, a hat. I am thinking that a bandana may be a good addition, and some sort of energy bar which isn't tempature-reactive. I always carry my cellphone with me, so that's not an issue.

I often go out alone, but the times I've been with a friend of mine, we've been seperated. Not by great distances, but enough to disrupt communication. I have a pair of those short-range handy-talkies I am going to stick in the bag.

I carry enough basic survival supplies that I should be able to handle any small emergencies that come up.

Here's what goes in the pack:

Water (Camelback reservoir pack, so it's built in)

Cache goodies

Folder with cache printouts/maps of area (if I happen to have them)

Spare batteries (for GPS, camera and flashlight)

Flashlight

Glow-Sticks (orange/green/red)

Lighter

Waterproof matches

Poncho (small foldable poncho)

First Aid Kit (with bee sting and snake bite kits)

Toilet paper (!!!!!)

Collapsable shovel (like a little garden shovel that folds)

Compass

Cell phone

Camera

Whistle

"Power" snacks (M&M's and peanuts, powerbar, etc.)

Spare socks

Spare car/house keys

Emergency contact information card (laminated)

Leatherman multi-tool (pocket knife, screwdriver, etc.)

I believe that's all. I know it sounds like a lot, but I'd rather have more than I need than be stuck out in the wilderness in an emergency.

There actually have been two or three threads regarding this over the last few months.

My backpack evolved much as yours is. As time went on, I realized that I wanted things in it, so I tossed them in.

Some of the things I have that I didn't notice on your list are:

compass (2)

flashlight (3)

first aid kit

granola bars

travel water bowl for the pup

retracting lead for same pup

spare lead again for the pup

multitool

spare air for bike tires

pens

spare notebook

personalized name stamp & inkpad (for letterbox-type caches)

calculator

bug spray

digital camera

I also keep a small duffel in the car with a full change of clothes. You never know when you are going to get drenched/filthy on a hunt.

From the sounds of it you've got the basic ideas down. Having a source of communication is extremely important, even on short hikes in local areas, especially if you are alone. If you happen to be injured or incapable of travel, it is impreative that you find some way to communicate your condition to receive aid (accidents can happen any time and anywhere, even to experienced hikers - that's why they call them accidents).

From personal experience, when I go out, even it's it's a short hike to a known area, I will always pack a small first aid/survival kit. It may seem like a bit of overkill, and although I have never had to use it for anything more serious than the occasional cut, it's good to know that it's there if you need it. First aid kits can be purchased which are quite small and fit nicely into a small day pack or backpack. If you are not experienced in first aid, then I would also recommend a first aid guide, which are available in pocket sized formats which take up next to no room. They can be invaluable when you really need them.

Also, I would recommend slipping a spare T-shirt and shorts into your pack. Again, folded they take up very little room, and are handy if you happen to slip and tear clothing, or fall into a river, something like that.....

A flashlight is another handy tool to carry, and a small penlight (a mini maglite for example) can easily be stowed. Again, this comes into the just in case category.

Spare batteries for your flashlight and GPS are good items, and can be carried separately from the equipment wrapped to protect them.

A map of the surrounding area, and a compass are excellent items as well, in case your GPS gives out entirely and you are in unfamiliar settings.

Finally....rope. It may sound wierd, but you can never have enough rope. And you'd be surprsied at how many uses you can find for the stuff if your out and about. Anything from repairing straps to navigational aids. Rope is always a good thing to carry.

You have already mentioned water and food. Those are my suggestions for a simple basic day trip kit.

Many outdoor enthusiast may suggest other things as well (for longer trips, sleeping bags, shelter material, etc), however for a quick day trip to a geocache, this should provide a relatively lightweight pack, with enough materials to see you through in case of an emergency (which will always happen when you least expect it). For myself, I use a large sized day pack that I keep stocked and carry all of the above items mentioned, it weighs in at about 6 lbs fully stocked (without water) and makes for an easy pack to carry while hiking. It's not bulky and I know that I have everything I need should the unforseen occur.

Hope this helps......

And a full set of high heels (different colors and styles!)

You don't want 2 different geocachers at different sites to see you in the same shoes...

mmmmmmmmmmm hi heels.....

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Azog,

Most of this is good advice, and you can find several other threads discussing the same issue by searching.

One comment I have to take issue with is this one: (Sorry, Bradinn, I'm not picking on you!)

quote:
If you are not experienced in first aid, then I would also recommend a first aid guide, which are available in pocket sized formats which take up next to no room. They can be invaluable when you really need them.

By all means, get a good first aid guide; ask if you need recommendations. But you should read it before you need it! Hopefully you'll never have to treat anything more serious than a scratch or a blister; but if you're ever faced with a serious injury or illness, that's a bad time to have to dig out a book and start thumbing through the table of contents. (Uh, let's see... Bear Trap... Bleeding... Bullet Wounds... Where the heck is Broken Bones???)

I know, reading a first aid book may seem about as interesting as breeding grass (or you may find it fascinating... Hooked another one, moi-ha-ha!). But it will help you to develop the "preparedness mindset," the assurance that you can handle a problem if one arises. Most people, when faced with an emergency, will tend to freeze, dither or panic. It's natural. Thinking in advance about what to do (or, much better, practicing it) can help get you past that stage. It's like fire drills: they may seem like a pain, but if the alarm ever rings for real, knowing what to do could come in real handy! Being ready to cope with the unexpected is one of the most useful skills you can have*, especially since you sometimes hike solo.

(*Except for how to hike in high heels. That's absolutely key. majicman can help you there...)

My apologies for not clarifying that in particular. It was certainly implied. You are absolutely correct. Having the tools is of no value if you do not know how to use them. Actually, now that I read over my own comments, I would consider taking it a step further. Although this is slightly off topic....if you are, or plan to be doing a lot of hiking, particularly by yourself, it would be of great advantage to invest in a first aid course, particularly if you have no experience in the field. Carrying the guide is intended as an on scene reference just in case (paricularly, I find for tying circular bandages...I can never remember the knot). Please believe me that you can never be too cautious when it comes to knowing enough about health and safety in this kind of activity, and far better to be prepared beforehand. How does it go? Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Thanks for pointing that omission out.....

I like to keep a helper monkey (with no teeth) in my backpack. Never know when i might need his services....... icon_eek.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

I like to keep a helper monkey (with no teeth) in my backpack. Never know when i might need his services....... icon_eek.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

My pack is my hunting pack stuffed like Watson's people & sbell111's list. The only things I would add are a walking stick it comes in handy for steep areas & for poking around the cach site to chase away snakes. My only other added item depends on where I'm going to look for a cach. that item is a gun of some type. If its hunting season & its legal to hunt there fresh game is a bonus. Also you never know what you may run into in the woods. Here in Missouri I have come across wildbore & dogs running in packs. But have only had that happen once each. But here we also have a lot of meth labs,& these people scare me more than anything else. I have not had any problems when Geocaching but I plan ahead. I know some people will freek about the gun thing, But it does not go on cach hunts in areas with a lot of people like in the city or parks, only when out in the woods. icon_smile.gif

My pack is my hunting pack stuffed like Watson's people & sbell111's list. The only things I would add are a walking stick it comes in handy for steep areas & for poking around the cach site to chase away snakes. My only other added item depends on where I'm going to look for a cach. that item is a gun of some type. If its hunting season & its legal to hunt there fresh game is a bonus. Also you never know what you may run into in the woods. Here in Missouri I have come across wildbore & dogs running in packs. But have only had that happen once each. But here we also have a lot of meth labs,& these people scare me more than anything else. I have not had any problems when Geocaching but I plan ahead. I know some people will freek about the gun thing, But it does not go on cach hunts in areas with a lot of people like in the city or parks, only when out in the woods. icon_smile.gif

i take a digital camera, also plan to add my custom, "what if a cataclysm occurs while im geocaching and im suddenly thrown into a postapocolyptic nightmare" survival kit. this includes:

C4: you never know when you are going to need to blow up the stronghold of some postapocolyptic warlord.

a rocket launcher:

a machine gun:

a regular sidearm and of course a boom stick(shotgun):

some garrat wire and rope:

anything that will make fire:

a katana (sword):

of course plenty of knives:

that should do it for now, if i forgot anything let me know. (maybe i will sell these on ebay or leave them as trade items)

ok so thats about all i can think of right now i will post again if i think of more.

EXCELLENT!

Glad to see that there is some humor left in these chaps, eh, sergeant!

"Right, what these chaps need is not Discipline, but Humor!"

"I don't..."

"Shut your yap, ya bleedin' heart panzy! You do too!!"

Yours in geocaching,

Brigadeer General George Leroy Tirebiter, deceased, Mrs.

P.S. I wish to complain about the chap insinuating that all geocachers are gay or dress up in drag. I have been in this man's army for many years, and only some, okay... most, of my men dress up in women's clothing for a spot of geocaching. Right! Now, on to the next funny posting...

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

Well, this string has certainly gotten out of hand icon_rolleyes.gif!

I blame Criminal (no reason, except I want to!)

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

Well, this string has certainly gotten out of hand icon_rolleyes.gif!

I blame Criminal (no reason, except I want to!)

--majicman

icon_biggrin.gif Hey Vash, I think you may have left out the bio-suit, geiger counter, and the night vision headgear. icon_eek.gif

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

icon_biggrin.gif Hey Vash, I think you may have left out the bio-suit, geiger counter, and the night vision headgear. icon_eek.gif

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Blame me?!?! I was being serious. You don't need a woman when you got a helper monkey along. icon_eek.gif

Interesting concept, I wonder if my wife would let me buy a toothless helper monkey?

BTW, why toothless (unless it is the disgustingly obvious, you SICK LITTLE MONKEY!)

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Blame me?!?! I was being serious. You don't need a woman when you got a helper monkey along. icon_eek.gif

Interesting concept, I wonder if my wife would let me buy a toothless helper monkey?

BTW, why toothless (unless it is the disgustingly obvious, you SICK LITTLE MONKEY!)

--majicman

Well I took a little inventory of my Rucks and here is whats in them.

Med Alice Ruck

70 or 100oz Cammel Back

First Aid kit

-Bandaids, antibacteria stuff, super glue, sting kit, clean swabs, Advil, Asprin

140 Round Tube #1

-Spare Car Keys

-12 AA Batteries

-Free Play Passes

Camera

GPS

140 Round Tube #2

-Baggies, Rubber bands, pens, Sharpies

2 Logs books

Digital media Carrier

Snak food

Towles

Cache goodies

Compus

200" of 8mm Cord

Microfiber cloth for glasses and Camera

140 Rnd Tube #3

-Matches Waterproof

-Lighter

-Start stick

Deet Spray

Skin so Soft Spray

Maglite 4d cells

Walking Sticks

My Day Walker Ridge Runner

Camera, Tubes 1-3, aid kit, snack, towel, cache Swag, MiniMag Lite, Compus, 70oz Camel back, Walking Stick

Car

2 Sets of cloths

Boots and Sneakers

Extra keys ( in box wired to the car )

2 MRE's

Matches

Shovel

Cooler - with drinks

Maps

Cell Phone charger

AC DC converter

Extra set of Glasses

I drive a heap event without the Hiking most of this stuff would be in it icon_smile.gif

These tube I use are made for paintball ( another hobbie of mine ) These tube just keep things a little more net in teh pack and make swaping stuff between my rucks easier.

icon_wink.gif nothing on your shoulders and a nice sung fit around your waist. You can get them in 140 and 100 rnd sizes, they are just a tad narrower than the 1/2 gallon freezer bags ( I think )

-Rober

Well I took a little inventory of my Rucks and here is whats in them.

Med Alice Ruck

70 or 100oz Cammel Back

First Aid kit

-Bandaids, antibacteria stuff, super glue, sting kit, clean swabs, Advil, Asprin

140 Round Tube #1

-Spare Car Keys

-12 AA Batteries

-Free Play Passes

Camera

GPS

140 Round Tube #2

-Baggies, Rubber bands, pens, Sharpies

2 Logs books

Digital media Carrier

Snak food

Towles

Cache goodies

Compus

200" of 8mm Cord

Microfiber cloth for glasses and Camera

140 Rnd Tube #3

-Matches Waterproof

-Lighter

-Start stick

Deet Spray

Skin so Soft Spray

Maglite 4d cells

Walking Sticks

My Day Walker Ridge Runner

Camera, Tubes 1-3, aid kit, snack, towel, cache Swag, MiniMag Lite, Compus, 70oz Camel back, Walking Stick

Car

2 Sets of cloths

Boots and Sneakers

Extra keys ( in box wired to the car )

2 MRE's

Matches

Shovel

Cooler - with drinks

Maps

Cell Phone charger

AC DC converter

Extra set of Glasses

I drive a heap event without the Hiking most of this stuff would be in it icon_smile.gif

These tube I use are made for paintball ( another hobbie of mine ) These tube just keep things a little more net in teh pack and make swaping stuff between my rucks easier.

icon_wink.gif nothing on your shoulders and a nice sung fit around your waist. You can get them in 140 and 100 rnd sizes, they are just a tad narrower than the 1/2 gallon freezer bags ( I think )

-Rober

May I add a couple of items here?

From a medical standpoint, there a some over-the-counter meds that you may want to include in your first aid kit...

Benadryl-pills and cream. The cream obviously for bug bites and stings. It may even help for poison ivy, but I've always been told that poison ivy isn't really a histamine reaction. Either way it can't hurt. The pills should be taken if, after something such as a bee sting (or multiple stings at once), you start to feel "funny", itchy all over, or especially any swelling other than the sting site, particularly the face area. (The pills are also helpful if you can't hold your breath all the way through the ragweed forest! icon_biggrin.gif) OTC pills should be 25 mg. If you have to take the Benadryl for these symptoms (other than the ragweed nightmare!), end your hunt and get help. Benadryl can slow down, and maybe interrupt an allergic reaction...but you don't want to sit out in BFE to wait and see if it will.

Asprin-Especially important if you have a history of heart problems, or have been told by your doctor that you are at risk. (Family history, high cholesterol, etc...) If you start to experience chest pain, chew up one pill and swallow with small sips of water. Get help immediatly. Don't screw around.

Immodium AD- Self explanatory. icon_wink.gif

Glucose tabs- Most diabetics know how to take care of themselves, but I'm always amazed that so many don't know about these nasty, yet very helpful, little chewable tabs. Also helpful for those "borderline" hypoglcemics who don't usually need other treatments. These can be found at most pharmacies.

Again, if you get a bite or a sting that feels like it's fixing to cause problems, or you start having chest pain...these meds won't cure you. They'll just buy you a bit more time, and get treatment started. The cache will be there tomorrow...so should you. icon_smile.gif

May I add a couple of items here?

From a medical standpoint, there a some over-the-counter meds that you may want to include in your first aid kit...

Benadryl-pills and cream. The cream obviously for bug bites and stings. It may even help for poison ivy, but I've always been told that poison ivy isn't really a histamine reaction. Either way it can't hurt. The pills should be taken if, after something such as a bee sting (or multiple stings at once), you start to feel "funny", itchy all over, or especially any swelling other than the sting site, particularly the face area. (The pills are also helpful if you can't hold your breath all the way through the ragweed forest! icon_biggrin.gif) OTC pills should be 25 mg. If you have to take the Benadryl for these symptoms (other than the ragweed nightmare!), end your hunt and get help. Benadryl can slow down, and maybe interrupt an allergic reaction...but you don't want to sit out in BFE to wait and see if it will.

Asprin-Especially important if you have a history of heart problems, or have been told by your doctor that you are at risk. (Family history, high cholesterol, etc...) If you start to experience chest pain, chew up one pill and swallow with small sips of water. Get help immediatly. Don't screw around.

Immodium AD- Self explanatory. icon_wink.gif

Glucose tabs- Most diabetics know how to take care of themselves, but I'm always amazed that so many don't know about these nasty, yet very helpful, little chewable tabs. Also helpful for those "borderline" hypoglcemics who don't usually need other treatments. These can be found at most pharmacies.

Again, if you get a bite or a sting that feels like it's fixing to cause problems, or you start having chest pain...these meds won't cure you. They'll just buy you a bit more time, and get treatment started. The cache will be there tomorrow...so should you. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by stargazer21:

Immodium AD-

I think I'd like to take issue with this particular inclusion.

Believe it or not, I went on a long cache hunt whilst in the midst of a bad case of diarrhea. Twice I had to leave my two companion's company to take care of some urgent business.

I didn't feel well, and the hike sure didn't help, but overall, I remember having a good time on the hunt.

Well, afterwards, my friend suggested Immodium AD, so we stopped at a gas station and I purchased a 1-dose package.

Well, it fixed the diarrhea. No more runnin' to the bathroom for me. At all. Not for three days.

I couldn't have a BM if I tried.

Diarrhea is the body's defense to try to irradicate a virus or bacteria. It made me nervous when my diarrhea stopped. Now the "bugs" were stuck inside me.

Is anti-diarrheal medicine such a good idea? Isn't it better to let your body take care of the problem as it was designed?

Jamie

(This thread is about to take a weird turn)

(I'm gonna try to keep this from getting too graphic! icon_wink.gif)

quote:
Diarrhea is the body's defense to try to irradicate a virus or bacteria. It made me nervous when my diarrhea stopped. Now the "bugs" were stuck inside me.

You have a very good point. However, the side effect of the runs is dehydration, which is usually more dangerous than what ever bug is floating around...especially when one is hiking in the summer heat. If the body has an aggressive bug that is causing major problems, Immodium isn't gonna help (unless you eat it like candy, which is a bad thing!).

It was meant more as a suggestion to those who have a tendency to just have occasional trouble digesting or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (if your doc has cleared you to take it). Me? Well, my guts are, shall we say...sensitive. (TMI?) So if I'm gonna be at an event where running to the potty evey few minutes is unacceptable or unavailable, I'll take one just in case. A few years ago, my sis and I were gonna be at an outdoor concert all day, during the summer. Preconcert prep included eating a banana (potassium load to help with dehydration), a Tylenol, and an Immodium. Giggles ensued when we started think about the different "pharmacuticals" that we used to take before a concert and how old we had gotten! icon_biggrin.gif

So, I mainly suggested it to 1) Prevent the dehydration during the hunt if you're way far out and 2) a convienence factor. You are right, though, to mention the "cork" factor icon_wink.gif. It's a side effect that I would choose anyday over having to go within site of a busy hiking trail and soccer fields. But that's just me. icon_smile.gif

I should also mention that, other than the Benadryl cream, don't go doctoring your kids without talking to a doc first. Benadryl is used for kiddos too, but if you talk to your docotr about it, he can tell you what dose they would need in case you're out caching and they need it. Immodium is a no-no for young kids, unless it's recommended by a doc. Always go by the package instructions.

(Gads...this PSA was brought to you by someone who usually doesn't get so serious! icon_biggrin.gif)

(I'm gonna try to keep this from getting too graphic! icon_wink.gif)

quote:

You have a very good point. However, the side effect of the runs is dehydration, which is usually more dangerous than what ever bug is floating around...especially when one is hiking in the summer heat. If the body has an aggressive bug that is causing major problems, Immodium isn't gonna help (unless you eat it like candy, which is a bad thing!).

It was meant more as a suggestion to those who have a tendency to just have occasional trouble digesting or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (if your doc has cleared you to take it). Me? Well, my guts are, shall we say...sensitive. (TMI?) So if I'm gonna be at an event where running to the potty evey few minutes is unacceptable or unavailable, I'll take one just in case. A few years ago, my sis and I were gonna be at an outdoor concert all day, during the summer. Preconcert prep included eating a banana (potassium load to help with dehydration), a Tylenol, and an Immodium. Giggles ensued when we started think about the different "pharmacuticals" that we used to take before a concert and how old we had gotten! icon_biggrin.gif

So, I mainly suggested it to 1) Prevent the dehydration during the hunt if you're way far out and 2) a convienence factor. You are right, though, to mention the "cork" factor icon_wink.gif. It's a side effect that I would choose anyday over having to go within site of a busy hiking trail and soccer fields. But that's just me. icon_smile.gif

I should also mention that, other than the Benadryl cream, don't go doctoring your kids without talking to a doc first. Benadryl is used for kiddos too, but if you talk to your docotr about it, he can tell you what dose they would need in case you're out caching and they need it. Immodium is a no-no for young kids, unless it's recommended by a doc. Always go by the package instructions.

(Gads...this PSA was brought to you by someone who usually doesn't get so serious! icon_biggrin.gif)

I would also bring

a pair of tweezers - for those pesky sticker seed things (I know this might be in a commercial made first aid kit but wasn't mentioned for the build-your-own kits

medication - in case it takes longer than expected and you need to take medication

a fingernail clipper - nothing like breaking a nail and having to rip it the rest of the way off.

the zipped off legs to my son's shorts in case we have to go through thorny areas.

diapie wipes - can put some in baggies and leave container in car. An alternative is folding paper towels in quarters and pre-wetting and placing in baggies ( put baggies in cooler for refreshing cleanups in the hot summer)

Also for the car -

Paper towels, water for the radiator, Window cleaner to clean the bugs off the windshield

a portapotty for the back of the van - so we can have the kids go before hitting the trail. (a blanket to throw over the windows if they aren't darkly tinted)

A tip for hot weather areas - the night before you go, buy bottled water and an empty bottle, Open all of the bottles and pour about 1/4 of each bottle into the spare bottle. Put the bottles in the freezer without lids (or if you have to tip the bottles, don't put the lids on tightly). In the morning, tighten the lids and put them in the cooler, They will help keep your snacks cool and will stay colder longer. I sat in the hot sun for over 4 hours with a frozen gatoraid bottle filled with water and it stayed cold the whole time! icon_cool.gif

I would also bring

a pair of tweezers - for those pesky sticker seed things (I know this might be in a commercial made first aid kit but wasn't mentioned for the build-your-own kits

medication - in case it takes longer than expected and you need to take medication

a fingernail clipper - nothing like breaking a nail and having to rip it the rest of the way off.

the zipped off legs to my son's shorts in case we have to go through thorny areas.

diapie wipes - can put some in baggies and leave container in car. An alternative is folding paper towels in quarters and pre-wetting and placing in baggies ( put baggies in cooler for refreshing cleanups in the hot summer)

Also for the car -

Paper towels, water for the radiator, Window cleaner to clean the bugs off the windshield

a portapotty for the back of the van - so we can have the kids go before hitting the trail. (a blanket to throw over the windows if they aren't darkly tinted)

A tip for hot weather areas - the night before you go, buy bottled water and an empty bottle, Open all of the bottles and pour about 1/4 of each bottle into the spare bottle. Put the bottles in the freezer without lids (or if you have to tip the bottles, don't put the lids on tightly). In the morning, tighten the lids and put them in the cooler, They will help keep your snacks cool and will stay colder longer. I sat in the hot sun for over 4 hours with a frozen gatoraid bottle filled with water and it stayed cold the whole time! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

-Something to wash up with afterwards

This would include wetwipes, towels, and some water. Aslo I bring some tecnu to wash off any poison ivy I think I may have gotten while searching for the cache

jhwf4

Yeah, you have to treat your RASH!

--majicman

I guess you all live where no prickly things grow. Out here in Western WA, the main impediment to reaching many caches is blackberry vines or other thorny stuff (e.g. Devil's Club). I got a few surprises when stinging nettle season started, too.

Now I carry a pair of leather gardening gloves.