Cachin' Fashion

CoyoteTrust

So... whaddya' wear when you're out cachin'? What gear do you pack?

Since it's winter I wear my old military cammy pants, a gray hoodie, Gore-Tex boots, & knit watch cap (Pants and hoodie are getting ripped up by thorns... thorns don't understand the change of seasons, they just stay). I also carry my cammy CamelBak (100 ounce water capacity). The CamelBak has good sized pockets so I can carry a lot: exchange trinkets, digi-cam, first aid bandages/dressings/creams, cell phone, batteries, flashlight pencils & pens, and other small misc. items. Heh, the feeder hose on the CamelBak has frozen up on me a couple of times 'cause of the cold & I wasn't drinking enough to keep it circulating.

How 'bout you?

I found 4 today with my 3 girls ages: 4,6,8. All of the finds were within 5-10 minutes from the road. So I didn't pack much just some onion ring chips, red licorish, two water bottles, gummy worms and cheeze crackers. I always carry my Camel Bak, 1st aide kit, bolo, cell phone and of course my GPS. :rolleyes:

Blaze Orange when necessary. Normally, we have a back pack where we keep water, a first aide kit, and trade items. We also carry extra batteries for the GPS. In the spring-fall, we also bring along bug spray and sun tan lotion. We generally wear pants all year long to help with tick bites/or poision ivy against bare skin. Oh, and since we're the Boot Group, we usually wear boots, although somedays sneakers are all that is necessary. Happy Trails.

I do not see a problem with someone posting a topic that has been covered in the past,

What I were depends on were I am going to be searching. Most of the time I were dark green Ben Davis work pants (levis fall apart) besides the Ben Davis have an official look when worn with a Kaki shirt and Kaki fishing vest, I also were a Tilly hat and being a Ham radio operator I may have more than one radio on my belt. I have had people ask me if I am the local ranger :huh: Sometimes I also have binoculars with me, that tends to make people think I am a bird watcher, the only birds I know about are those that wind up on a plate <_<

If I'm lucky enough to grab one after work (or occasionally during lunch) I'm usually wearing jeans and a long sleeved shirt and jacket, topped off with my Blaze Orange Filson safety vest. When combined with the work truck adorned with flashing lights and traffic cones, I attract so much attention that I usually get ignored. (Yes, I've actually used the lights and cones to grab more than one cache. :huh: )

I also do a lot of caching by motorcycle. I've found that a helmet, an armored motorcycle jacket, and carbon fiber gloves, all designed to withstand freeway-speed bail-offs can get through any sticker bush. :huh:

For the most part, whatever I'm wearing works. <_< I'm just happy to be out.

- Kewaneh

With so few caches in this country (South Africa), setting out to find one is a major logistical nightmare.

First and foremost, we load the LandRover, dress in typical 'bush' clothing - comfortable, loose and offers protection from the harsh African sun. We take the 'cache stash' box which contains all our trade goodies, have at least one, possibly two, made-up caches to place if we find a good spot, load up with plenty of water, the picnic basket and a portable barbeque.

The we head out and enjoy a day or preferably a long weekend (the Landy has a roof-top tent fitted) geocaching and exploring new areas.

fun with a capital F! <_<

To all our fellow geocachers around the world - have a happy, productive and successful 2005.

Usually me and my mom just wear whatever we have on, but I think now I'm gonna start wearing pants since I went to two caches Tues. that had nasty thorns. I got all scratched up. <.<

As for gear, at first we just took all the stuff we needed and carried it in our hands. But now that we have a VOMP, it makes it much easier. In the VOMP we carry the GPS, my cellphone, two walkie-talkies, swag to trade, my labels, a pen/pencil, a camera, a pre-packaged first aid kit, and a field journal.

Since it hasn't gotten too cold yet, I generally wear an Aloha shirt, jeans, hiking shoes, an Eddie Bauer jacket that I've had for years, and a beat-up canvas fedora.

Once it cools off, I'll shift to a long-sleeved Aloha shirt.

When I'm poking around in the flora, I wear leather gloves. Kinda getting tired of getting my hands poked.

To carry stuff, I usually just cram it in my coat pockets. If it's not coat weather, or, if there's too much, I have a belt pack that I take along.

it seems anybody will ask anything lately to get a topic posted. research the archives.

He's a newbie, may not know how to search that well. Why didn't you give him a markwell to help him out?

I would agree. You comment was also beyond the forum guidelines.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.
it seems anybody will ask anything lately to get a topic posted. research the archives.

Sorry, Zygote. The point in my mind was that I'm pretty new to the whole cache thing, and I wear the same stuff and bring the same gear all the time. Wanna see what others pack-out on their treks. As far as "cache clothing": there are people driving by and they see me with the GPSr, wearing the same clothes; when they honk they obviously know what I'm doing... must be fellow cachers that I've never met yet. But you're right I should've researched.

It seems like anyone will bash a newbie just to spark some contreversy.

---

If I'm going on a big cache run, I have a pair of jeans I wear with pockets on the legs which are perfect for holding my PDA, a pen, and extra GPSr batteries. Unless it's stinking hot out, I try to wear long sleeves to protect against scratches and to expose less skin to "nature".

I always pack a spare pair of socks and shoes as well, and sometimes a change of clothes. You just never know when you'll slip off that log crossing the creek and it would be a shame to spoil a good caching day by having to head home because you're soaked. Just change and keep on caching.

Gore Tex, high top hiking boots.

REI Convertible Sahara Pants (Lightweight, quick-drying)

These have not yet to be torn by thorns and sticks.

Poly-pro long johns*

Tee shirt

Fleece vest*

Fleece jacket*

Carhart hip-length coat*

Rain jacket

Baseball cap

Large fanny pack w/the usual.

*Winter specific

in summer I wear a long-sleeve shirt.

Slight topic detour.

I'm drawing a blank. What do you call those things you strap to your lower legs so that your pants and boot tops stay dry when walking through tall wet grass? Kind of like mini chaps. Leggings?

Garters? Puttees? As to the OP, pretty much whatever I'm wearing, and add anything special for the weather/cache locale.

Slight topic detour.

I'm drawing a blank. What do you call those things you strap to your lower legs so that your pants and boot tops stay dry when walking through tall wet grass? Kind of like mini chaps. Leggings?

Nevermind, I found it. They are called Gaiters. (If anyone besides me cares.)

Edited by BlueDeuce