What Makes A Good Cache?

aka Monkey

I spent over an hour finding a multi-cache recently, and was discouraged at the end. The cache was fairly small, in a crappy container which had leaked and the contents were soaking wet. The contents of the cache were also the kind of things that "only a child could love" (for 5 minutes). The hunt was fun, which helped, but the ending seemed like a big letdown. ;)

I know there's discussion about implementing some type of "favorite cache" listings, which may help, as it'll encourage people to create better caches. But at the same time, people may ONLY visit the best rated caches, and plenty of otherwise decent caches may not get visits. However as I see it, is that without some sort of "rating" system (don't flame me!), there's nothing to limit bad caches from flooding the system. This includes caches that don't match their descriptions (like being listed as a regular cache when it's a micro), caches that are in sad shape, caches which just generally suck as far as placement and interest go, etc.

What do you look for in a cache? Is the hunt more important than the cache itself? Are they equal? Would you prefer fewer high quality caches, or a high number of caches with a few gems thrown in? Is there anyone who really isn't hoping to find that special schwag item in a cache?

An interesting hunt and a dry log book.

There's rarely anything in a cache that I'm interested in taking with me. I usually try to leave something nice -- even though people might not always recognize the value of the items.

I would rather have fewer caches of better quality than have mushy-log-sheet caches all over the place.

Edited by bitbrain

I am in the planning stage of my first cache. I want it to be a hum-dinger. Don't really care about the cost either, within reasonable limits. Maybe 10 $10 bills in it, or walmart gift cards, plus other stuff. A friend and I thought of maybe a game like lawn darts or horseshoes to be used at the park and put back into the cache afterwards. What are some goodies yall like to find, give me some input.

I'm with Bitbrain. Give me an interesting hunt and a dry logbook, and I'm happy.

The conditions of any given cache can change constantly. I visited one of my caches last month and it was in perfect shape. A few days ago someone found that same cache--it was soaked and moldy inside. The next finder won't see it in that condition, as I've got a better replacement ready to go.

I can't begin to count the number of "lousy cache" threads that have started in the past. I'm not even going to beat that dead horse.

Is there anyone who really isn't hoping to find that special schwag item in a cache?

Yes, me for one.

For me the enjoyment is the hunt/find. Bonus points for new places, interesting scenery or a history lesson. Even more bonus points if the hide is sufficiently clever to really make me stretch my mind or make me say "Wow, wish I'd thought of that!"

I rarely take anything from a cache -- unless it is something I collect and I have a suitable trade item. I usually leave something if the cache is in good condition (dry, secure) and likely to stay that way (durable, water-tight container).

A dry log book is great. If I have time and am not being eaten by bugs or likely to be seen, I'll even read the previous finders' logs. If the log book isn't dry, no problem, I'll sign it anyway if I can or I'll leave a new log sheet.

What makes a good cache?

Good location. Cleaver hide. Unique container. These are important. Not necessarily all at the same time but...

Good overall condition of the cache. Yes, important. A wet rotting smelly cache is bad. One full of wet soap is worse. ;)

Good trading items. Really don't care. I'm not out for the trade. The only time I may be in a trading mood is when i have kids with me. However in that case i will usually pre-scout a cache to make sure it is ok and has kid-stuff in it (actually I will make sure it does by stocking as necessary). That way the young ones are not disappointed.

Trading items - Pt II. I will say though: There are some cachers that leave some really cool signature items out there. Over the years I have seen some really unique items that make me wish I had just some of the creativity they possess. No, I don't pick them up. But I admire them none the less.

Take me somewhere interesting, like a Hidden Valley [/shameless self-promotion], or a little known river. Idealy it is somewhere that stealth is not the name of the game (no crowds, few people(at least that's what I like anyway)). Personally I enjoy the trade game, dollar stores are a cacher's best friend, but don't feel that you need to put gold ingots in it (though it would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: ).

I like a short walk with something interesting.

The interesting thing could be a clever hide, a neat container, good scenery or architecture, a bit of history, a nice little park or trail, whatever.

Personally, I don't care for devilishly difficult hides. I think caches should be hidden from muggles, not cachers. I hate it when I spend hours on a multi only to come up empty at the final location. I realize that others disagree, and that's fine.

Wet caches don't really bug me. I'll fix them if I am able and report the issue in my log either way.

I don't trade too often and I tend to like litte trinkets best. My favorite trade items have been a Tide Kick detergent dispenser and a Joanie and Marky squished penny. I actually prefer to trade (and trade for) McToy-type items, as long as they are new and interesting.

I believe that when placing a cache you need a PURPOSE for doing so. Not to get too much into Zen and the Art of Geocaching ,but the question of WHY I am placing this here has to be answered. I really enjoy people who place caches in their favorite places to be. I recently found one on a cliff overlooking a waterfall. Spectacular view. I recently placed one in a wooded area (unusual in the desert where I live) that is beautiful and relatively unknown in the community.

A second enjoyable purpose is originality. Like the one inside one of those roadside crosses where someone met their maker. The name on the cross was Garmin!! It took me awhile to see it and had a chuckle when it dawned on me.

A third purpose is to bust people’s balls or prove something. Putting caches in impossible places or hiding them so well you need a backhoe to dig them up. If you are one of these people, take look at yourself.

Basically, don’t just hide something under a bush somewhere. Have a reason for doing so and it will be enjoyable for you and the people who find it.

BrettVet

I use my brain and it seems to work pretty well for crappy caches. Mostly I've found there is a time and a place for all types of caches.

Come lunch a walmart micro is pretty nice. I get out of the office and get some sun. Come the weekend I seek caches out of town, off hte beaten path, or do a numbers run in a another town depending on how I feel that day.

One local cacher had a lot of wet logs. So I ran a series of tests, posted the results in the forums, gave them a hard time, and ended up getting a waterproof pen for wet logs. I had fun.

I'm not a fan of limiting a cache owners ability to place a cache that strikes their fancy. Maybe a rating sytem would help if it could be implemented so that it works. But that tool helps finders and doesn't really impact owners directly so if the problem of how to do ratings can be solved it would help people seek out the caches that they prefer.

What do you look for in a cache? Is the hunt more important than the cache itself? Are they equal? Would you prefer fewer high quality caches, or a high number of caches with a few gems thrown in? Is there anyone who really isn't hoping to find that special schwag item in a cache?

I care very little about what's in the cache... I don't care about the "prizes".... The hunt is important, but more important to me is the place the cache takes me to. I like caches in quality locations, or clever hides, I don't care what's in them.

I also like "Cleaver Hides", but that's a whole 'nother subject. (Beaver? Wally? Ward-- June?)

Edited by mozartman