£rd Annual Winchester Late Xmas Cache Bash

paul.blitz

Oyez, oyez, oyez!

After 2 very successful "Late Xmas Cache Bashes" this year and last year, we are going mad, and organising another one, on Sunday Jan 30th, 2005! The Event Cache page will be here once it's been approved.

Please note that this year will be at a new location: The Cart & Horses PH, Kingsworthy. It's about 50 yards from the A33, which you can get to VERY easily from the J9 of the M3 (A34 / A33 junction). The pub is at approx N 51 5.400 W 1 17.770

We have "exclusively booked" the carvery from 12:00 to 1:15, which is before their "regulars" will be served, so hopefully the food will be a bit quicker this year! If you can't get there before then, then other, more snacky, food will be available (or book a table for later on!)

The Carvery will cost £8.95 (£4.95 for kids) and there will probably be a choice of Lamb or Turkey (but I'll confirm that).

The Cart and Horses Website gives you all the details you should need (including the wine list!!!).

As there will be sufficient of us, spending lots of money on lunch and at the bar, they are letting us use the Skittle Alley to sit & chat & drink in (no, we are NOT playing skittles!!!)

There will be a cache placed, which will become a permanent cache.... taking you on a nice walk along (and indeed over, but hopefully not IN) the River Itchen.

I'll create a cache page in the next few days, and add a link to it from this thread.

We look forward to seeing you all there!

Edited by paul.blitz

While I think about it.... does anyone (coming to the bash, that is) want any ammo boxes? If so, Big, or Medium?

I'm guessing that prices will be same sort of level as last year.... (erm, £3.00 for the medium, and £3.50 for the large I think)

If there's a demand for more than just 2 or 3, I'll nip off to the local ammo box emporium and collect some.

If there's any other sort of container size you are looking for (like "bloody huge"!) let me know, and I'll see what they have (feel free to email me a phone number for a Saturday morning, and I can call you to let you know what there is / price, when I'm there)

(Last time I was there they had some nice warm Russian fur hats too. )

Paul

While I think about it.... does anyone (coming to the bash, that is) want any ammo boxes? If so, Big, or Medium?

I'm guessing that prices will be same sort of level as last year.... (erm, £3.00 for the medium, and £3.50 for the large I think)

If there's a demand for more than just 2 or 3, I'll nip off to the local ammo box emporium and collect some.

If there's any other sort of container size you are looking for (like "bloody huge"!) let me know, and I'll see what they have (feel free to email me a phone number for a Saturday morning, and I can call you to let you know what there is / price, when I'm there)

(Last time I was there they had some nice warm Russian fur hats too. )

Paul

If I can make it (which I might) I'll definately have some ammo boxes off you :rolleyes:

MarcB

OK, latest update on the Winchester Late Xmas Cache Bash (Sunday 30th Jan 2005)...

Omally was persuaded (took about 7 seconds...) to join me in a visit to the Cart and Horses earlier this evening. Whilst the place is "under new management" there were no problems with our event taking place! (The new managers arrived in early December, and are a couple from Liverpool... so be kind to them!!!)

In order to help the pub cater for us the best they can, they have asked if we can provide them with reasonably accurate numbers of those of you who wish to eat, as well as WHAT YOU WISH TO EAT. (I should add that you don't HAVE to eat.... drinking-only IS allowed :rolleyes: )

The carvery costs £8.95 for adults, and £4.95 for kids.

In addition, there is a "kids menu" which I have scanned in ** HERE **, which contains a good (and in some cases *healthy*) selection of typical kids food (prices on the menu).

Also, can you indicate if any of you might be wanting a pudding (I suppose, being down south, I should really call it "a sweet" or "a desert").

All I really need is something like "2 adult carvery, 1 kids carvery, 1 kids sausage & veg & chips"... that way they can make sure they enough of the right food ready for us.... and even if you change your mind on the day / forget, it's NOT a big deal.

You can let me know details either by email, by updating your event cache note, or by posting a note in this forum.

They will set out tables & seats for about 50 in the skittle alley (which they are letting us have for free) and we have also arranged that we will have the bar open in there (which they ARE charging us for, and for which I will happily accept voluntary donations!!)... but if you can't fit in the skittle alley, you are just as welcome to find some other quiet corner in the pub to sit in! Of course, if you are just drinking, there is a bar that will need propping up!

Whilst we're on the subject of beer, they have "Abbot Ale", "Old Speckled Hen" and "Greene King IPA" on the handpumps :D.

There will also be "entertainment".... Omally has offered to do some sort of quiz, I'm running a "secret santa" (please, if you have multiple kids, bring along multiple items for the secret santa: "trading even" is only fair!) and I'm placing a new permanent cache on the day.

Would anyone else like to come up with a couple of other "entertainments" for the afternoon??? (email me)

The pub will be opening about 11:45am, so that the first arrivals can be ready at 12:00 to order their food! They will be concentrating on feeding us until about 13:00 / 13:30, so please try & get there early if at all possible. (If you arrive later, you may have a long wait for food!).

Well, we're looking forward to seeing you all there... by the logs made so far, there will be quite a few new faces joining in too.... hopefully it will be a fun day!

Paul

Paul

Just spotted this - I'm not a great forum watcher. I'd like 4 medium boxes please if you can get hold of them. I have a cunning plan... Thanks a lot.

Babs

P.S. Do you need cash up front? If so I'm happy to pay.

Hi everyone!

A quick update for those coming along (and to bump the topic up the list again!!!).........

I just emailed a load of you who have said they are coming, to try & get accurate lunch numbers for the pub... if you got an email, can you please reply ASAP! Thanks.

Good news: we have confirmation that there WILL be Lamb on the carvery, along with another meat! Yummy!

For the one (or maybe more?) of you who would like a "vegetarian carvery", just have a word with the staff, and they'll try & sort you out something.... fish is certainly one possibility.

We will have at our disposal, the "Skittle Alley" (but we're NOT playing skittles...) with our own BAR.... I am being charged for the bar/room, so feel free to make a voluntary donation (a quid per adult will be about right)

Michael & I went out today, to check out the cache route (I'll be actually placing the cache next Saturday, ready for the bash) and can tell you that the whole thing, to the cache and back, is between 1 and 1.5 km, and should take something like 45 mins to an hour. Bring wellies (or equivalent), as the paths are muddy / have puddles in a few places. The route, which starts very close to the pub, takes you over & along the River Itchen, past an SSSI area, as well as along the path through someone's garden!!!!!

The cache will be separately loggable as GCMJYQ... it will go live on Sunday lunchtime (I hope) and I'll bring along a stack of cache sheets for you.

I just added together everyone who has said they are coming along, and we're showing 57 adults, and 19 children! Should be quite a gathering.

Whilst parking at the front looks very limited, there is actually a LOT of parking available to the rear of the pub.

See you all next Sunday!

Paul

PS: DON'T FORGET TO BRING ALONG SOMETHING FOR THE "SECRET SANTA"

Edited by paul.blitz

We are also planning on coming on sunday, wasn't sure until Lisa's shifts were confirmed. So that's an extra 2 adults and 3.5 kids. I'd also like a couple of medium ammo boxes if you have enough. We'd all like carvery too!!

Hopefully my Dad (Toomtech) and mum will be coming as well to swell the numbers.

OK, to answer the recent questions

1) As long as dog are behaved (ie lie down, rather than running wild around the room) then dogs are ok in the skittle alley. But make sure they wipe their feet when returning from the cache :-) :-)

2) I'll be arriving about 11:45 (as the pub doors open!) and I'll have the cache sheets with me (just copied a load today)... I'm asking for the cache to be made live online at lunchtime, if that's possible, to allow someone at the event to be FTF.

3) Please remember to get there early for lunch.... so far we are showing almost 60 for the carvery, and we are promised "exclusivity" from opening till about 1:15... so eat *then* cache! And don't queue for your drinks at the main bar... we have our own bar in the skittle alley!

4) I'll be going down the scrapyard for the ammo boxes on Saturday morning.... I have about 4 in stock already, and looks like I need to get about another 12 or 16 (they come in 4's) ... the one's i'm planning on getting are 3" x 7" x 10" (same as the cache that I'll be placing!)

5) if anyone needs to call me on the day (or before!), my mobile is 07731 711 345.

6) Don't forget to bring your secret santa presents: mark them for age / sex suitability (eg "adult only", "child / silly adult", "boy 5 to 10"..... you know what I'm getting at)... and bring as many as (or more than!) you wish to receive! No need to spend any more than 2 or 3 quid on each.

Paul

Tell you what... if you would like to do the cache BEFORE the event, then let me know, and I'll email you the cache sheet.... but beware: if you do the cache and DON'T come along to the pub, I'll not let you claim FTF (or even STF)!

I'll still have a pile of sheets at the event for those who wish to come to the pub first.

And if you don't all fit into the skittle alley, there's plenty of other space in the pub, and if it's nice, you can even stand out in the garden. Or go & do some caching!

Paul

Well, what can I say? It was GREAT to see so many people! Plenty of people we've met before, as well as PLENTY of NEW faces too! Thank you all for coming along!

I arrived a bit later than planned (church was running late), and arrived to see a room FULL of people.... and this was at about 12:05!

The pub did a great job of getting us fed (and as others have commented in the log: a good plateful of food (roast / yorkshire pud / roast potatoes & FOUR veg)!)... a marked improvement over the problems at the previous venue.

We also raised 30 quid towards the Tsunami appeal from the auction of a pair of Mk II Tim & June Bears.

It was quite amazing to see so may TB's there: I was VERY impressed with the piece of TRAM LINE! Suffice it to say that, because of its weight, I declined to take it to Florida with us at Easter!

So, a date & location for your diaries: same place, Sunday 29th Jan 2006. (I wonder how far ahead you can get an event approved??)

Paul

a great day out, bet certain approvers would agree given suitable inducements!

I can confirm that both Reviewers were suitably "induced" by the time we left. I can also testify that the journey from Winchester to Watford is a LONG way after so many inducements, even with a stop at Fleet services. :D:D

Many thanks for all the beers and it was great to say hello to so many people, lots of whom I'd not actually met before. A great day, thanks to Team Blitz.