Full Log Books

brodiebunch

If it's means something personal to you, you are the owner of the cache and have the right to keep it. If not, then leave it in the cache for others to enjoy with the realization that it may disappear along with the cache sometime in the future. To me, thumbing through the old logbook would be more interesting than shuffling McToys around in the cache.

Here's what I've noticed. Out of the 11 or so caches I've places only 1 cache has survived a "muggling" to the point that I was actually the person to have taken the piece out that placed it originally.

This is quite sad for me because 1) I guess I need to work on those hiding spots and 2) all the log books are gone!

So take all of your full log books!!!! (better leave other's full log books for them to pick up) Whats chaps my hide even more is that whatever stole my previous hides most likely just chunked the log books... :D

Edited by pnew

It's your cache, so you can do whatever you like.

When my own log books get full (or when they start to get ragged), I replace them. The old log book just clutters the cache, and causes confusion as to which is the correct log to use. I like to bring the old log book home and go through it to compare it with the on-line log entries.

I pull my old logs out when I put a new one in. Keeps things a little more tidy inside the cache.

I've never gotten to the point where I've had a full log BOOK; so far everything has just been the micro log sheets. Since those rarely have anything other than a list of names, I haven't considered there to be anything to record for posterity. Once I see a log book fill up in one of my regular caches, though, I'll certainly scan and post the pages for future cachers to see.

Here's what I've noticed. Out of the 11 or so caches I've places only 1 cache has survived a "muggling" to the point that I was actually the person to have taken the piece out that placed it originally.

This is quite sad for me because 1) I guess I need to work on those hiding spots and 2) all the log books are gone!

So take all of your full log books!!!! (better leave other's full log books for them to pick up) Whats chaps my hide even more is that whatever stole my previous hides most likely just chunked the log books... :D

Exactly. Preserve the log book. If you want to share it, scan it and post in on the cache page.

Because my caches are in rural Nebraska, I have never had a log book get full!

I think if one did, I would leave it for others to look at since I at times enjoy reading log books when I find a cache.

I have at times photographed the log books in my caches when visiting for maintenance in order to preserve the logs in case the cache goes missing.

I’ve found a few caches with full or almost full log books. When they are almost full I send the cache owner a simple note letting them know when I log the cache. In the case of full log book I leave a small note book that I have with me in the cache. The first time it happened I had one of these notebooks with my by chance, well an empty one that is. I usually have one that I carry with my to write my notes and to do any calculation that may be required, I’m an old timer in that respect I still do math with paper nad pencil before taking out the calculator. These notebooks I discovered on the job so to speak while in college, I pick them up at a surveying supplier they are 16 leaves (32 pages), stabled and have a light cardboard cover; they are called “One Job Field Book” and are about 4 1/2 inches by 9 inches in size (just right for your back pocket).

Out of nine geocaches I've only had to archive 1 (the area was deemed to be a security risk - have all the logs) and replace another (had to hide it better - lost most of the logs).

My caches tend to be just a little bit out of the way, so I don't get that many visits. I recommend using those small spirl bound notebooks. They hold a lot and fit into most regular size caches without a hitch. The key thing is to buy in bulk, keep the log in a ziplock bag and keep the pen OUT of the ziplock! How many ziplock bags have you seen where the pen has punched a hole in the bag? :D

When folks begin to note that the log is getting full, it is time to replace the book.

I have never had a log book get full

I don't wait until there's no room to sign my logs.

When I see one is almost full, I'll replace it.

Or, like my caches up in ohio, when I have the opportunity and it's over halfway, I'll replace the log books.

I replaced the log in my first cache when I moved to TN. The log was only about half full, but I wanted to know it was done. I replaced the log on my second OH cache with a full log book when I was home a couple months ago. The sheets we had started the cache with weren't full, but it was only three sheets of paper, so I added a book.

I have another one I'll replace around the first of the year just because it's getting up there and there's an event less than 10 miles away in a couple weeks. I'd rather replace before the log was completely full then know that forty-seven cachers tried to log it and couldn't because they ran out of room.