Loss Of Mapquest Driving Directions

TeamK-9

Many of you are aware of Mapquest removing the functioning to get driving directions to a lat/long coordinate set.

We at TRI-GO (the Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization) felt that this was uncalled for and we want to try and get Mapquest to change their decision.

One of our members has started a petition at petitiononline.com and we encourage all of you to sign it.

Petition to Mapquest

Maybe I'm just being grumpy, but.....

You're demanding that a company keep giving you a service for free when they decided they no longer want to? And if they don't? your gonna stop buying their product? Oh wait, your wern't doing that before they dropped the directions. If you don't like their decision, just use the directions on one of the other maps, like MapPoint. Even better, go out and BUY mapping software instead of demanding it for free.

All a moot point really, since MapQuest had already added the directions back before this topic was even posted.

EDIT: Ok, I see they brought back the directions but didn't include the long/lat option. Still, no big deal, use MapPoint for free, or just about any paid mapping solution.

Edited by Mopar
You're demanding that a company keep giving you a service for free when they decided they no longer want to? And if they don't? your gonna stop buying their product? Oh wait, your wern't doing that before they dropped the directions. If you don't like their decision, just use the directions on one of the other maps, like MapPoint. Even better, go out and BUY mapping software instead of demanding it for free.

The funny thing about human nature is that once people taste something for free they have a hard time then paying for the service. If it started out with a cost, the expectation would be different. I am sure geocaching is in the same boat. If they enforced an annual fee i am sure people would be really peaved (although the verbal abuse would be much higher than the actual drop rate --- I work in magazines and it is the same thinge there!)

Happy holidays... :D

And if they don't? your gonna stop buying their product?

Well, kind of.

If they don't have the option, they will not have as many people visiting there site. Thus traffic would go down.

Since much web based advertising is based on traffic, they would loose ad revenue.

Of course that is all hypothetical

Actually, it appears most of their income comes from selling premium services. From reading their website, those "premium" services include maps and driving directions by waypoint. Seems either their TOS/business model has changed, or they just closed a loophole that GC.com users were exploiting. Either way, there's more discussion on this in the main forums.

Edited by Mopar