Converting Routes To Tracks

Tobit

Is there a way to convert a route to a track?

Or is there a way to create a track in Mapsource?

What I'm trying to do is set up different walking routes (tracks) of different lengths in my neighborhood.

So far all I can't figure out to do is create the route in Mapsource and use that. The problem is that I don't like all of the directions I get when I use it.

It sounds like you're operating in the "auto-routing" mode. Mapsourse (Metroguide?) will set up the routes based on navigating streets by car following one-ways, fastest routes, etc.

To set it up for walking, go to Edit, Preferences, Routing and check on "Use Direct Routes"

Good luck :D

Try using USAPhotomaps for this. You can download either topo maps or aerial photos of the area you want, and then click on points along a trail, road, or other feature to create a route for uploading to your GPS. Very nice software, and you can also import your .gpx files from here and show the caches on the map or photo. If you have a PDA, you can save the photo or map as a .jpg file for viewing on the PDA in the field.

Technically, in order to convert a route to a track, you need to follow the route with your track function turned on. A track is where the GPS has been, and a route is a series of waypoints you want to follow.

Edited by NightPilot
Try using USAPhotomaps for this. You can download either topo maps or aerial photos of the area you want, and then click on points along a trail, road, or other feature to create a route ...

Once you've done that you can either download it to your GPS as a route or use the GPS/Routes menu in USAPhotoMaps to "Convert to track" and download it that way, which allows for many more points to be included. I've frequently downloaded trails in an area that way as tracklogs to create a pseudo trailmap.

One way would be to export your routes to a GPX file, then open it in a text editor and replace all <rte> with <trk><trkseg>, all </rte> with </trkseg></trk>, and all rtept with trkpt.

In Mapsource I do not see an export filter for GPX. How do you do this? Also, if I could create a GPX file, how would I get it back in to Mapsource, I didn't see an import filter for GPX either.

Thanks

In Mapsource I do not see an export filter for GPX. How do you do this? Also, if I could create a GPX file, how would I get it back in to Mapsource, I didn't see an import filter for GPX either.

The 6.5 beta version of MapSource supports GPX files.

But as I said above, USAPhotoMaps has a menu selection under GPS/Routes to convert routes to tracklogs and it's a free program.

If anyone is interested and has access to Fugawi mapping software and maps, it has a neat feature that allows you to create tracks on screen by using the free-hand drawing pointer. It automagically produces trackpoints at distance intervals similar to your GPSr and is downloadable to your handheld. You of course have to have a steady hand on the mouse which I don't but it's close enough. :D

I find it handy for trails or roads shown on Topos that may not be on the Garmin or Magellan maps and if you have a colour display the tracks show-up real nice on the GPSr.

Olar

Technically, USAPhotomaps isn't a free program.

Well, on Doug's website (jdmcox.com) it says:

"All of these programs are free, they run in Microsoft Windows, and were written in C by Doug Cox, a retired airline pilot."

So I'd say that technically it is a free program, but I agree that Doug welcomes donations.

I use Street Atlas to create a route I want to take and then use GPSBabel to convert that to a Waypoint list. I then use G7toWin to make a track file from the waypoint list.

I like Tracks better that Routes because routes follow a straight line from waypoint to waypoint while tracks can follow curves or winding paths better and give a more accurate distance. Plus, tracks don't clutter the waypoint list like routes do.