The Inevitable Nexus

chemfed

Other outdoor sports/hobbies have had their encounters with violent crimes as they became more popular and wide spread. We have seen the Appalachian Trail murders (seven at last count), the Shondra Levy murder and Central Park jogger assault, and I am sure that mountain bikers have been victims of violent crimes. As geocaching becomes more and more prevalent and hiders are pushing more caches into remote and obscure places, how long before the inevitable nexus takes place: A geocacher is seriously injured by an attack, raped or murdered by criminals. I don’t want this to become another “gun while geocaching” debate, that horse has been beaten, cried over, and buried. I hate to be a pessimist, but we have seen cachers die on the hunt, how long until the unthinkable happens? I hope this post doesn’t get locked, because I feel this a real issue that should be discussed. Thanks in advance for your replies!

When I first learned about geocaching, I told my mom. She always seems to be the devil's advocate when it comes to my hobbies.

Her immediate thoughts were the possibility of Geocaching murders. I mean really. If you were a rapist or a murderer, and you were able to know that there's a 1/4 chance that on any given weekend, that someone will come right to your remote spot, all alone, then it would be like a field day for you.

I've always wondered about her theory, and I understand that it could be possible. I mean, it could be a very easily premeditated crime. Quite honestly though, the chances of that working out for the murderer would be slim. I don't think anything like this will happen in the near future, but it could happen.

But quite simply. Will I change the way I cache? No.

if you ask me, everyone needs to do theirself a favor and read "the culture of fear" by Barry Glassner. we are all scared of the wrong things... we need to be worried more about heart attacks and sudden infant deaths. we are still more likely to die in a car crash than be murdered.

just some food for thought.

People who get into 'trouble' as defined by the OP (usually) are a victim of their own lack of awareness. This means that they don't listen to their gut instinct, and take actions that lead them into unpleasant situations. The best thing to do is keep your eyes open and be clear-headed about where you are going and what you are doing. You don't have to go looking for trouble - but you can keep your eyes closed while crossing the street and getting run over by a Mack truck...

I honestly think everyone should take martial arts at whatever level they can physically perform. Not only does a good school prepare you for situational awareness, the mock combat (or sparring) lets you get used to adrenaline and (minor) pain so that if you do get in a bad spot, the shock won't freeze you up. Also, someone can take your gun away from you, but you'll always have your fists & feet & elbows and so on. Good martial arts schools should have a low teacher to student ratio (usually a director/head & several associate teachers, often other students) and loads of respect. If you see any teacher acting like a drill instructor without cause - find another school. You can often ask to watch a few classes to get the feel of place. The student/teacher interactions should tell you a lot about the atmosphere of the school...

Outside of that, I agree with the "Golden BB" rule. When your time comes, it comes. Live as best you can while you can.

As geocaching becomes more and more prevalent and hiders are pushing more caches into remote and obscure places, how long before the inevitable nexus takes place

The opposite seems to be the case. As caching becomes more prevalent we are seeing more and more urban micros. The odds are probably better that you'll be mugged or run over looking for the micro in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

I don’t think it is a case of paranoia, but a case of awareness and acceptance. To each his own. I pray that I am way off base with this. But, some times I feel like Cassandra! Anyway, thanks for the replys.

There are bad folk out there and they prey on people. What's the difference if the person is hiking, or hiking with a GPS looking for a cache? I don't see it as an issue at all.

And as far as some evil doer waiting by a cache for someone to come along, that's pretty silly. Then can sit there for days, or weeks before someone happens along. The more popular caches where people are likely to visit regularly are usually in popular areas. Not the kind of place to commit crimes.

I think some of the potential danger can be eliminated when placing or maintaining the cache (in cases where the situation has changed over time).

I have visited cache locations that are very close to places where homeless people have set-up camp. Personally, I don't think either type of location is a good spot for a cache. Caches in such locations have the potential for an unfortunate encounter - - particularly at night.

When logging the cache I have included a warning in my log entry so that the owner has an idea of what is going on near the cache and others can make an informed decision as to whether and when they want to visit the cache. In another case I sent the owner an e-mail suggesting that the cache be moved or archived.

I know one of our friendly mods was involved in an incident while geocaching, and I remember another frequent poster who was stalked while searching for a cache and ended up locking herself in the car while waiting for the police to catch the BG. Since geocaching takes place in just about any type of place, the chances of something bad happening while geocaching are just as good as everyone else. Maybe even higher, since cachers often seem to be willing to put themselves in higher risk locations looking for a cache then they might normally. A person who would never consider a casual stroll through a city park at night will often follow that GPS arrow right into the darkest, least safe corner to bag a find.

Some people go though life happily oblivious to their surroundings; and some of us are always trying to be prepared for anything. Who lives longer? I dunno, I like to be in charge of my fate, but sometimes I wonder if the blissfully ignorant types live longer because they don't have all the stress.

Some people go though life happily oblivious to their surroundings; and some of us are always trying to be prepared for anything. Who lives longer? I dunno, I like to be in charge of my fate, but sometimes I wonder if the blissfully ignorant types live longer because they don't have all the stress.

That's really the crux of the issue, both of this thread and the dead-horse thread (see OP if puzzled). Many of the blissfully ignorant work hard at protecting their nothing-bad-can-ever-happen-to-me bubble from the realities that the be-prepared crowd wants to expose, confront and control.

This explains why the blissful seem so irritated by the prepared. We're harshing their mellow :)

From an actuarial viewpoint even if a few Geocacher fall prey to murder or misadventure, the sport must surely be a net benefit to the longevity of cachers in general. Caching is a pretty good antidote for depression and inactivity, which kill like a cumulative poison.

I can see the headlines now...

"35 BODIES FOUND NEAR GEOCACHE..."

"Seem that serial killer 'geo-slash' strikes in same place. Found around a GEOCACHE was parts of 35 bodies buried within several hundred feet of old army ammo box known as a 'geocache'. Police think that 'geo-slash' is either into stealing the "swag or bootie" people were going to use as trade items or was into using jewelry and such things missing from bodies as swag in other caches. Police are still not certain as to what brand name GPSr 'geo-slash' uses but have remarked that others seem to have a GPSr of similar quality as at least 35 people have found the location...."

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

well, assault happens to people regardless of the activity in which they are engaged. the more people geocache, the more geocachers will be victims of crimes. it's simply a mathematical thing. there's no use wailing about it.

i have never recommended a cache be archived simply because i don't like the look of a place.

what? suspicious looking people are around? USE that area for recreational purposes! TAKE BACK OUR PARKS AND GREEN SPACES!

get out there and play. after you've made your report to the officer, go find some geocaches. it's very soothing.