The Geocachers' Code

Kai Team

Ahh yes, another very arrogant response. I told you already the basics of what I thought should be said regarding that subject and said it should be open for discussion. It could easily be misinterpreted as it is currently written. Now you can say I am stupid or uninformed or whatever. That is fine. The way you have attacked me and the person who brought this up shows that you aren't even willing to discuss it. This is fine. I have urged the sites (besides this one) that I frequent to not post it. It is obvious that it is owned by the elite few, such as yourself. Have fun with it though. I'm glad I can play the game anyway I want and I will observe your code as irrelevant.

I guess you didn't notice that I'm editing the code now and that I'm supporting your request for a discussion and trying to find a wording that everyone can agree with.

I really hate to join the flame war you and CR seem to be enjoying so much (at the expense of the Creed), but I don't have much respect for someone who would sabotage the Creed ("I have urged the sites...that I frequent to not post it") and insult everyone involved with it ("It is obvious that it is owned by the elite few, such as yourself.") because one person reacted emotionally to your posts.

Your reaction seems a bit....arrogant? You might want to take a deep breath and let the discussion you requested play out before you attack everything and everyone.

The other person saw an issue with the code as written. I agreed with him. Voiced it. Was basically told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that my opinion was worthless because I am new. Now, after being attacked like that, what am I suppose to think about this thing?

The other person saw an issue with the code as written. I agreed with him. Voiced it. Was basically told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that my opinion was worthless because I am new. Now, after being attacked like that, what am I suppose to think about this thing?

And I agreed that you both had a point and was trying to steer the discussion in the direction of forming a consensus to address your point.

Since you asked, I'd say that you're supposed to think that the attack is one person's opinion and not representative of everyone who has worked on the Creed. Take the high road and join me in a discussion of how to address your concern, rather than counter attacking. When someone offers me a way out of a flame war that preserves my integrity, I jump on it!

The process of developing the Creed has been very open and sometimes very frustrating for those of us editing it. There's a lot of give and take, and every time you think you've got it right, someone comes a long with another concern. Such is the nature of developing a community consensus, and I'm trying to listen and respond to the concerns that people raise.

In that vein, did my last suggestion:

Check if permission is required before placing a cache on private property, and respect the landowner's wishes.

address your concerns?

Does it create other concerns?

Edit: typo

Edited by Kai Team

Having received no feedback on this either way, I'm inclined to return to the original wording (which passed muster during 6 weeks of discussion of the Creed) with a slight change:

Seek permission on all private property that's not open to unrestricted public access.

If there are no further comments in the next couple of days, that's what I'll go with.

Since there haven't been any comments in the last week or so, I've decided to close this thread so that we can finalize the Creed.

In consultation with several other geocachers who have been active in these threads, we've decided to create a web site solely to host the Geocachers' Creed. We've registered a domain name, found a hosting service, and are in the process of creating the pages for the site.

Once the Geocachers' Creed site is established, it will help insure the independence of the creed from any site or listing service, consistent with the original intent of the discussions in these threads (the cost and effort is being absorbed by a small group of independent geocachers, without sponsorship). An indepedent site will allow other web sites to link to the Creed, or to update their own postings (which are still encouraged) from a single "master" copy.

As soon as the site is ready to go (another week or so), I'll post a link in the distribution thread, which will remain open for now (please continue to limit discussion in that thread to distribution of the Creed).

We also plan to host periodic (perhaps every 6 months or so) threads in this forum to update the Creed, once everyone has had some experience with it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to creating and distributing the Creed - it's a testament to the dedication of geocachers to our sport/activity/obession! <_<